diy solar

diy solar

JuncTek Battery Monitor vs Victron SmartShunt

I actually like this. I set my voltage to 3.45 per for charge and like clockwork when the meter would get to my max ah setting it would show up with the voltage raising quickly. I'd say it's close enough.

Heads up: issue is now solved. Here is how.

Values are 0 both on the display and the app. Tried to power cycle several times. Restarted the app. Reconnected the display also multiple times. Even tried both the 2 wire and 3 wire setup. I got the impression the device is sort of bricked.
I sent Kang an e-mail Wednesday last week. As I did not receive any response, I posted my question here.

So … before posting the above response, I did just another test.
In the Apple app Store, this weekend was a new version released: v1.2.1. The after app update, the values displayed are still 0. However, now it is possible to update the firmware! (thus no IAP failure). Issue solved!

Indeed the app shows the version of the app, not the version of the firmware. There seems to be no possibility obtain the firmware version of the meter.

Thanks for your quick responses,

Perry
If the data is all 0,
The first thing to consider is whether the firmware update was unsuccessful.
At this time, you don't need to think too much, you only need to complete a firmware upgrade again;

Last edited:
Regarding the April 10 firmware update:

On April 10, 2022, we upgraded the mobile APP and product firmware, Android and Apple mobile phone systems have been upgraded;

update content:
1、Low -capacity reminder has been added to the mobile APP ;
2、Low temperature protection has been added to the mobile APP (relays are required for this function);
3、The temperature can be switched to display Fahrenheit or Celsius;
4、The accumulated power (kW.h) only calculates the power consumed during charging;
5、Cumulative capacity (Ah) only calculates the capacity released during discharge;
6、The scale range of the voltage and current instrument panel in the mobile phone APP can be set freely, and the scale value of the voltage and current curve also changes accordingly;
7、Four extended functions have been added to the mobile APP:
Full voltage, Empty voltage,Tail current, Charged detection time;
For example, 12V 400Ah lead-acid battery, set the full charge voltage to 14.4V, Set Tail current to 2%, which means that the full charge current is 400*0.02=8A, and the Charged detection time is set to 2 minutes, which means that during the charging process, when the voltage is higher than 14.4V, the Tail current is lower than 8A, and after the duration exceeds 2 minutes, the percentage of remaining capacity will be automatically adjusted to 100%;
Set the Empty voltage to 10.5V , which means that when the voltage is lower than 10.5V and the duration exceeds 2 minutes during the discharge process, the percentage of remaining capacity will be automatically adjusted to 0% (if you feel that the Empty voltage is not very practical, you can set the full voltage, Tail current, and Charged detection time without setting the Empty voltage.)

Update method:
1、First update the mobile APP
1.1 Uninstall the original mobile APP first;
1.2 iPhone Search "KG series" in Apple Store”,
1.3 Android phones can download through this link
(http://68.168.132.244/app/KG.apk), Or use the mobile browser to scan the QR code in the measurement module to get the APP;

2、After opening the mobile APP, See the following demonstration pictures to operate the connection。
View attachment 90876

3、Find the "Settings" - "After-sales Service" function and enter 8610 to see "Firmware Upgrade", enter the firmware code 000 and wait for the firmware upgrade to complete before exiting。
Why is the firmware upgrade function not intuitive? This is because some customers have mistakenly operated the firmware upgrade and then exited before the firmware upgrade was completed, which would lead to product failure, so we recommend that you must complete the firmware upgrade before exiting.
View attachment 90877
View attachment 90878
View attachment 90879
Special reminder:
If you place an order before January 1, 2022, you need to power off the product before clicking the firmware upgrade, and then power on the product while short-circuiting the temperature measurement interface, and then follow steps 2 and 2. Step 3 Perform firmware upgrade.
View attachment 90880

4,After seeing the prompt that the firmware upgrade is successful, exit the mobile APP and then reopen the mobile APP. Follow step 2 to connect successfully and you can use the newly added functions.
I downloaded the new app and I can't figure out how to make it a installable apk. Google Play only has the old app as of yet.
I unzip but I'm at a loss

I downloaded the new app and I can't figure out how to make it a installable apk. Google Play only has the old app as of yet.
I'm replying to myself to say I got it installed. Tomorrow I will update the firmware.
To install the new apk from that link you need to click on it in your file manager and select rename and then delete the .zip part of the name. Boom I'm now updated to 1.3.25 for the program.
I'm using this kg140 with my jk bms because the bms messes up the capacity under certain situations.

Since the last firmware update mine seems to be keeping track very well - it matches the bms exactly. Between the two of them I'm confident I'm seeing what my battery is actually doing.

Ok I got iap failure trying to update. Anyone know what that is?
If it is an earlier purchased version,
The measurement module should be powered off before firmware upgrade
Then short-circuit the temperature 2P pin header interface and turn on the power at the same time
Open the APP, click search and connect successfully
Then find after-sales service and enter 8610
Then click firmware upgrade and enter 000

If it is an earlier purchased version,
The measurement module should be powered off before firmware upgrade
Then short-circuit the temperature 2P pin header interface and turn on the power at the same time
Open the APP, click search and connect successfully
Then find after-sales service and enter 8610
Then click firmware upgrade and enter 000
Thanks that did the trick. You are the first one that said short the temp sensor pins then power on. It's good to go now.

Thanks that did the trick. You are the first one that said short the temp sensor pins then power on. It's good to go now.

It's mentioned in post 28:

Well lol it's a lot to read. But thanks again
I knew I got it when I turned it on with it shorted across the temp pins when I seen the display.
Now even the amp calibrate function works.

Well lol it's a lot to read. But thanks again
I knew I got it when I turned it on with it shorted across the temp pins when I seen the display.
Now even the amp calibrate function works.
Yes, voltage, current and temperature can be calibrated by themselves
However, it has been calibrated with a high-precision voltmeter and ammeter when it first leaves the factory
You don't need to calibrate yourself
Unless you find a little error after many years of use, you can calibrate it yourself.

I actually like this. I set my voltage to 3.45 per for charge and like clockwork when the meter would get to my max ah setting it would show up with the voltage raising quickly. I'd say it's close enough.
The newly added full power voltage and full power current functions can automatically calibrate the SOC value

Hi @dmking ,
Just performed the updates today for myself. When I downloaded the app, it saved it as KG.apk.zip I had to rename it, don't unzip it. Then even the icon showed up for its apk. APK's are actually able to be a zipped up package, but in this case, you don't want to be unzipping. Sometimes google and chrome block downloading apks due to some permissions, but the zip style can at least get to your phone.
AH, edit, sorry, I didn't see that you resolved this yourself and updated the thread.

@Rickey, thanks for the support. The improvements are nice and the updates worked. I like that there's an alarm now for % low remaining. That I'm looking to leverage in turning on an AC smart switch with automation or changing the charge controller source.

While an open serial 485 connection is nice feature to have on this device, it would be wonderful if the Juntek could describe how to make a bluetooth GATT connection and monitor the stats wirelessly with other devices. I have ESP32's running ESPhome and PipSolar that I would like to utilize the bluetooth stack from the ESPhome setup and get the KG140f into the same dashboard and mqtt that I'm using.

Hi @dmking ,
Just performed the updates today for myself. When I downloaded the app, it saved it as KG.apk.zip I had to rename it, don't unzip it. Then even the icon showed up for its apk. APK's are actually able to be a zipped up package, but in this case, you don't want to be unzipping. Sometimes google and chrome block downloading apks due to some permissions, but the zip style can at least get to your phone.
AH, edit, sorry, I didn't see that you resolved this yourself and updated the thread.

@Rickey, thanks for the support. The improvements are nice and the updates worked. I like that there's an alarm now for % low remaining. That I'm looking to leverage in turning on an AC smart switch with automation or changing the charge controller source.

While an open serial 485 connection is nice feature to have on this device, it would be wonderful if the Juntek could describe how to make a bluetooth GATT connection and monitor the stats wirelessly with other devices. I have ESP32's running ESPhome and PipSolar that I would like to utilize the bluetooth stack from the ESPhome setup and get the KG140f into the same dashboard and mqtt that I'm using.
You can copy this and connect it to your mobile browser. After downloading it successfully, click Install.

46de04d786f4286eac785fdf1196813_副本.jpg
This week, I received the newly purchased kg140f. I found that their monitor shell has been painted, just like the car paint. It looks metallic, much better than the previous one.

So what’s the consensus, does this unit track SOC as good as the Victron unit?

I don't have a Victron unit to compare to, but it matches up with with the Overkill BMS really well, actually appears more accurate as it only relies on coulomb counting alone.
I really like mine, the app is good, and it keeps track of everything really well. For the $40 or whatever that I paid for it, it's a stone cold bargain.

When it reaches 100% SOC and the charge sources are still adding watts and amps, it just resets itself to when charging terminates, remains at 100%. Then it starts over amps in and out.

I also like that you can set the charging and voltage meter range, for good visual on your actual battery.

Ok, I'm getting ready to install this permanently at our cabin, so I've blown the dust off the box and am looking at how to get it incorporated into the existing set-up. I have a couple of questions:
  1. Is it OK to extend the 4-wire cable between the "measuring module" and the shunt? The cable that comes with it is only 7 inches long. I have a good place to put the shunt, but there isn't anywhere there to put the main module other than just lay it on a bunch of other big wires.
  2. I've really got no use for the temperature module. Does it cause any harm to just unplug it? I can probably cram it into the enclosure where I hope to put the module, but it just seems sloppy.
With the firmware changes they made to the module (full voltage, tail current, and charge detection time) it now acts lots like the Victron Smart Shunt, and as I said earlier I'm pretty happy with it. Just need to plan out the details of the install.

I appreciate any comments / expertise you folks have on the above.

Back