diy solar

diy solar

Just a little info on MightMax Battery Capacity

OnTheRoadAgain

Solar Enthusiast
So some of us buy and use MightMax batteries for various purposes.

I just bought some replacement batteries for the various battery backup devices I have in my office and tested at least one of them for capacity.

The battery in question was an ML9-12 common to APC and many computer battery backup devices.

The equipment used was a DL24P 180Watt Dummy Load Capacity Tester. Keep i mind that under real world use, backing up a computer and monitor alone, it would draw about 5 amps. This is important to know because of the advertised rating of 9 amp hours.

RESULTS

Test 1). At 3.00amp load, fully charged and discharged to 10.8volts, and too 1hour and 50 minutes to fully discharge = 5.58 amp hours capacity

Test 2). At 0.45amp load, fully charged and discharged to 10.8volts, and took 20 hours to fully discharge

Interpolating, I would expect about 1 hour of run time at a realistic 5Amp load. Lead acid batteries are often tested at a 20 hour rate.

It seems they are rated according to the industry standard 20 hour rating. Meaning at 0.45amp load, the battery will provide 9Ah over a 20 hour period. (Note: The battery could not even make it to the 20 hour mark at 0.45amps load and fell flat after only 17 hours.)
The problem is, I cant think of any real world scenario where you would only need half an amp of battery backup power.

This battery only provided 7.6Amp Hours at the 20 hour discharge rate. Perhaps it would provide 9Ah at a 30 hour rate?
But then, that's totally unrealistic for the application it is intended.

Conclusion - The battery I received is over rated and lacking in capacity. Hopefully there is a better choice than MightyMax batteries.

Last edited:

Image of a datasheet on that page lists 20, 10, 5 and 1 hour rates as well as end voltages.

C1 is 5.8A

At the C1 rate, termination should be at 9.6V.

According to this page:

"Deep-cycle batteries are at about 85 percent when new and will increase to 100 percent, or close to full capacity, when fully formatted."

Based on your 17h out of 20h, you're right at the 85% mark, and you should have terminated at 10.50V, so it likely had a wee bit more to give.

Rolls makes an analogous statement:

"Deep cycle batteries will increase in capacity during the initial break-in period of 60-90 cycles"

Trojan:

"A new deep-cycle battery will not immediately deliver its full rated capacity. This is normal and should be expected since it takes time for a deep-cycle battery to reach peak capacity."

Did you charge it according to the following parameters?

Bulk 14.4-14.9V
Float 13.6-13.8V
Max current 2.7A

The 0.3C charge current is meaningful as well. When used in a standby application (UPS), the 0.3C is safe because the voltage never goes above the 13.6-13.8V range. When in cyclic applications, the current should be limited to 0.1C when charging above 13.8V.

Conclusion:

Your results did not faithfully test the published operating parameters producing low capacity readings; however, the results fall within the expectations of a new battery requiring a "break in" to attain full capacity based on general battery knowledge and specific statements by two battery manufacturers.

Image of a datasheet on that page lists 20, 10, 5 and 1 hour rates as well as end voltages.

C1 is 5.8A

At the C1 rate, termination should be at 9.6V.

According to this page:

"Deep-cycle batteries are at about 85 percent when new and will increase to 100 percent, or close to full capacity, when fully formatted."

Based on your 17h out of 20h, you're right at the 85% mark, and you should have terminated at 10.50V, so it likely had a wee bit more to give.

Rolls makes an analogous statement:

"Deep cycle batteries will increase in capacity during the initial break-in period of 60-90 cycles"

Trojan:

"A new deep-cycle battery will not immediately deliver its full rated capacity. This is normal and should be expected since it takes time for a deep-cycle battery to reach peak capacity."

Did you charge it according to the following parameters?

Bulk 14.4-14.9V
Float 13.6-13.8V
Max current 2.7A

The 0.3C charge current is meaningful as well. When used in a standby application (UPS), the 0.3C is safe because the voltage never goes above the 13.6-13.8V range. When in cyclic applications, the current should be limited to 0.1C when charging above 13.8V.

Conclusion:

Your results did not faithfully test the published operating parameters, and results fall within the expectations of a new battery requiring a "break in" to attain full capacity based on general battery knowledge and specific statements by two battery manufacturers.

Great info!
Thanks for finding this. I went to their site but missed this data sheet.

The battery I tested was dropping so fast at 10.8 that it would have made no difference to go to 10.5 Maybe 10 mah more (maybe)
This new battery I received definitely falls short of the listed capacities by about 20%
Maybe after a few cycles it will increase?

Wow. Everything I've read about Lead Acid batteries says 10.5 is the drop dead never go below voltage.

Last edited:
Great info!
Thanks for finding this. I went to their site but missed this data sheet.

The battery I tested was dropping so fast at 10.8 that it would have made no difference to go to 10.5 Maybe 10 mah more (maybe)
This new battery I received definitely falls short of the listed capacities by about 20%

17h/20h @ 0.45A = 0.85

Maybe after a few cycles it will increase?

Probably more than a "few." Trojan indicates 20 for AGM, and most battery manufacturers base this on "normal" use with a typical 50% discharge. They typically recommend against deliberately cycling them for break-in alone as that's wasteful of X cycles of usable life.

Wow. Everything I've read about Lead Acid batteries says 10.5 is the drop dead never go below voltage.

As you can see on even the cheap battery's data sheet, there are different recommended per cell voltages for different currents. This data is frequently published on data sheets. The 10.5V is consistent with the C20 recommended discharge targets, which most "general" information is based on. The lower discharge voltage for higher currents is due to an effort to offset the Peukert effect in part.

Back