diy solar

diy solar

Just a question about configuration.

Greenbug

I hope to be more active on the forum but until then I have a question.

I want to be completely off grid and battery powered, my recharge method is going to be wind, solar & Nat Gas generator.

This is going to be a ground mount system, and the equipment I'm looking to purchase are

12 - 440W Monocrystalline 72 Split-Cell Silver
1 - 12kW 48V 250VDC 120A Off-Grid Inverter by Growatt
2 - 7.5KWh 51.2V 150Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery - Total 14KWh

Now I need to tie all this together, I dont believe I need microinverters because its going to be a ground mount system with no aerial obstructions close by, but im unclear if I need anything else or can this be plumbed directly to combiner box, then to the house electrical, then to the Growatt, > battery.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

So much information with a plethora of routes to take.

Am I on the right track, or what would YOU do differently?

The Batteries and Growatt are on hold until I figure this out, but both are in stock, batteries are local to me, Growatt is in the US but a few states away.

I'm trying to get this done as soon as I can.

I hope to be more active on the forum but until then I have a question.

I want to be completely off grid and battery powered, my recharge method is going to be wind, solar & Nat Gas generator.

This is going to be a ground mount system, and the equipment I'm looking to purchase are

12 - 440W Monocrystalline 72 Split-Cell Silver
1 - 12kW 48V 250VDC 120A Off-Grid Inverter by Growatt
2 - 7.5KWh 51.2V 150Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery - Total 14KWh

Now I need to tie all this together, I dont believe I need microinverters because its going to be a ground mount system with no aerial obstructions close by, but im unclear if I need anything else or can this be plumbed directly to combiner box, then to the house electrical, then to the Growatt, > battery.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

So much information with a plethora of routes to take.

Am I on the right track, or what would YOU do differently?

The Batteries and Growatt are on hold until I figure this out, but both are in stock, batteries are local to me, Growatt is in the US but a few states away.

First maybe check out Will and DavidPoz videos about it. Two different approach for the same solution.
(Growatt and MPP Solar we think are made by the same company)

And you did not write anything about your needs. Split phase? 3 phase? Max W needed ? etc ...

And you did not write anything about your needs. Split phase? 3 phase? Max W needed ? etc ...

I had an estimate from a local solar company that my usage would warrant a 10k system, why I went with the Growatt 12k Split watt, with 14k batteries.

Its a residential so I wont need 3 phase. I believe.

Thank you for the reply, let me check these videos out.

I had an estimate from a local solar company that my usage would warrant a 10k system,
Have you done an energy audit yourself? You will learn a LOT about your power requirements.

Are your loads mostly AC household appliances? Any big items like air conditioner (this is always a challenge and often underestimated).

Have you done an energy audit yourself? You will learn a LOT about your power requirements.

Are your loads mostly AC household appliances? Any big items like air conditioner (this is always a challenge and often underestimated).

Only what the solar estimate has given me, from my past electrical bills they figured I would need a 10KW system - and yes mostly AC loads like A/C etc.

I see the link in your sig, ill download Energy Audit sheet and see if I can get specific.

I'm curious, is it going to be different then what the solar company estimated from my past electrical bills?

I have that growatt and it has a minimum battery size 400ah I believe. Also figure the inverter uses a constant 150 watts while on.

I'm curious, is it going to be different then what the solar company estimated from my past electrical bills?
It will be different in that you will understand what is behind the numbers.
I do not know if your numbers and those of the solar company will be the same or drastically different.

A little knowledge about what you are expecting your system to do, ahead of time, goes a LONG way.

I have that growatt and it has a minimum battery size 400ah I believe. Also figure the inverter uses a constant 150 watts while on.
I cant seem to find that spec on the unit I am looking at.

The batteries I'm thinking of getting will have a 300ah I believe.

OK I was wrong the battery ah will be just under 200ah

Last edited:
I cant seem to find that spec on the unit I am looking at.

The batteries I'm thinking of getting will have a 300ah I believe.
87FA5260-8E00-417C-A856-99CBCFC16810.jpeg
Page 5 I can’t remember why but someone on here knows I’ve seen it in other posts

View attachment 60963
Page 5 I can’t remember why but someone on here knows I’ve seen it in other posts
I found it, thank you.

Looks like this either wont work or not to Growatts specs.

The battery people are trying to get me to buy their inverter/charger which is a Sigineer, but I cant seem to find much info on them which usually means support in the future is going to be hard.

Back