diy solar

diy solar

Just bought 12ft 1/4 x3 copper bus bar ! Am I set for Bus bar for life ?

Found these 4" x 6" x 1/4" copper bars in my old scrap bin.
20210821_100551.jpg

Soaked them in Vinegar and salt for about 2 hours and they turn out looking like the top bar in the photo below.
The bottom bar has been wet sanded with 1500 grit wet paper until you can almost get a reflection.
20210821_223651.jpg

The bottom bar in this photo is as far as I'm going to take the polishing.
20210821_223326.jpg

Does a high polish as such really decrease resistance? Or are you just going for style points?

Last edited:
I hauled some scrap off in my old dirty work clothes, old rusty Chevy. After finished getting paid, I ask them if they had any battery cables 2 ga+ for a “little” solar project (108 kWh battery bank/20.6 kw pv). They took me back and showed me a bunch of 18”-24” 2 ga cables with 1/4” holes. They were attached to THREE 1/4” x 2” x 60” tin plated bus bars!! ? They said they were going to have to do a lot of work taking all of those 3/8” x 1 1/4” ss bolts out, just to scrap them. They came from a phone or cell tower company. I asked them to make me a good deal and I would separate all that out and use what I could use, saving them a lot of work. ? They quoted me $150. I rolled out the cash in the blink of an eye. They even loaded them for me. You talk about a good deal. I knew I was going to need to buy some or make my own out of 1 1/8” copper tubing. I just checked the price on the 700 amp bus bar....$50/ft!!! Jeez. I paid $10/ft for bus bar, plus the freebies...48 cables $200+, plus 48 ss bolts/washers/lock washers/nuts $50+! Oh my. I’m having some Ky bourbon and a nice cigar!

Last edited:
Hi
IIRC mine are only 1 1/2" wide. Only 1/8" thick, too. I do have a 1/4" by 3/4" piece connecting the bus bar to the inverter fuse. Can barely see it in this pic. +bar is on the bottom. The rest of that bar got used for my grounding bar.

View attachment 58604
what are the things connecting the bar to the wood? I want to do this but am assuming its unsafe to drill the bus bars directly to the wood.

Back