diy solar

diy solar

Just bought new Trina 400w solar panels, less than 50 cents per watt delivered.

Speedr56

Total of 8 panels w/delivery lift gate at home. Preparing my dual enclosed cargo trailer/garage pv system. Mounting 4 on top of 7x14 enclosed trailer. May make a 2- 2 panel awning with the other 4 panels. Price was good for 3.2kw and they are supposed to have warranty.

Anyway Santansolar.com and they have the Trina 400w for $180. each new. If you read the READ NOW it gives an additional discount 5%. They have decent shipping rates to choose. I'm in El Paso and tailgate delivery came to $230.30 and Arizona doesn't charge sales tax on solar.

If you posted affiliate links, yes, they were deleted. Depending on how you got to that product page, sometimes just copy and pasting a link uses the affiliate link. Basically, that means if someone buys from the link you provided, somebody is getting a cut.

If you post a simple link to a product, that shouldn't be an issue. I find I have to strip out a bunch of the added URL stuff to whittle it down to just the product.

Will doesn't even put his own affiliate links in here, so it's not accurate to assign the forum as a for profit enterprise. Per rules and practice, it's an anti-profit environment even for the owner as a direct source of revenue. The only way it becomes a profit center for Will is if a user goes to Will's website and generates revenue from there.

Last edited:
Ah. Yeah Santan. They're on this forum. They're about 1/2 mile from my work. Great place.

Worth mentioning if you purchased new or used for that price. A lot of what they offer is sold from dismantled commercial arrays. Crazy good prices.

If you posted affiliate links, yes, they were deleted. Depending on how you got to that product page, sometimes just copy and pasting a link uses the affiliate link. Basically, that means if someone buys from the link you provided, somebody is getting a cut.

If you post a simple link to a product, that shouldn't be an issue. I find I have to strip out a bunch of the added URL stuff to whittle it down to just the product.

Will doesn't even put his own affiliate links in here, so it's not accurate to assign the forum as a for profit enterprise. Per rules and practice, it's an anti-profit environment even for the owner as a direct. The only way it becomes a profit center for Will is if a user goes to Will's website and generates revenue from there.
Okay, thanks for that information. No copy and paste, got it.

Ah. Yeah Santan. They're on this forum. They're about 1/2 mile from my work. Great place.

Worth mentioning if you purchased new or used for that price. A lot of what they offer is sold from dismantled commercial arrays. Crazy good prices.

Do you have a review of Uncle Bear's Brewery and Taproom? I might make a trip to San Tan when we are allowed to be humans again, and this place is right around the corner.

Anyone know how the quality of these compare to the Q Cells Q.PEAK-DUO-L-G8.2-420 420 watt panels? I found the Q Cells for about $60 more than these Trina panels, is the quality worth the extra cost?

Anyone know how the quality of these compare to ... is the quality worth the extra cost?
To me, and maybe others, panels are panels in terms of quality. I think its more important to choose panels with specs (volts, watts, dimensions) that match your goals and existing/proposed systems (particularly the SCC).

Anyone know how the quality of these compare to the Q Cells Q.PEAK-DUO-L-G8.2-420 420 watt panels? I found the Q Cells for about $60 more than these Trina panels, is the quality worth the extra cost?
Trina is OK but I'd rate Q Cell above them any day. There were a heap of Trina panels that went defective in Australia several years ago. The problem was water ingress from the edge of the sheet causing excessive leakage (electrical) from panel to frame and also pushing up the contact resistance on the bus wires along the short edge of the panel. I have 4 of them, they still work for low voltage applications but there's no way I'd put them into a 150V+ string. The possibility of water ingress could probably be addressed from new by running a bead of UV stable sealant around where the frame meets the glass.

To be fair, Trina did the right thing and replaced them, but they did have a legal obligation to do so, so was it good will or just because they had to.

SolarQuotes said:
The ABC used the case of a gentleman called Rex as an example of someone whose solar panels failed early. Rex was getting his panels replaced after just 4.5 years.

Although the brand was not named on TV, I know Rex had Trina panels. Trina Solar panels have had a huge problem with water ingress over the last few years. That’s not good. But Trina have a brand to maintain and as far as I know they are honouring all warranties (as they have to under the law).

I have been told that Rex paid nothing to get a full fleet of brand new panels from Trina Solar. So he bought a well known brand and discovered, happily, that the warranties were worth more than the paper they were written on. Well done Trina and well done Rex.
article: ABC 7:30 Report On Shonky Solar: Fair Comment Or Beat-up?

*edit to include more info*

Last edited:
I did a little more research on these and also discovered that the PTC Power Rating for the Trina panels is only 301w of the original 400w rating, while the Q Cells panel is 394.29W. That's almost 100w loss in real world use on the Trina panels compared to what they rate them at! Can anyone using these confirm if they are getting better than this in real world use? If that is the case, that puts the Q Cells at about $.67/w, and the Trina at about $.60/w. I think the extra power density might be worth the extra $.07/w in my case.

I did a little more research on these and also discovered that the PTC Power Rating for the Trina panels is only 301w of the original 400w rating, while the Q Cells panel is 394.29W. That's almost 100w loss in real world use on the Trina panels compared to what they rate them at! Can anyone using these confirm if they are getting better than this in real world use? If that is the case, that puts the Q Cells at about $.67/w, and the Trina at about $.60/w. I think the extra power density might be worth the extra $.07/w in my case.
Total of 8 panels w/delivery lift gate at home. Preparing my dual enclosed cargo trailer/garage pv system. Mounting 4 on top of 7x14 enclosed trailer. May make a 2- 2 panel awning with the other 4 panels. Price was good for 3.2kw and they are supposed to have warranty.

What are you using to mount these? I am considering doing the same on my 8.5X20 enclosed trailer, and looking for attachment options.

Back