diy solar

diy solar

Just got Ecoflow Delta PRO, can I use external LiFePO4 batteries to add capacity??

craigferriter

Just unboxed my Ecoflow delta pro.

I have been accumulating LiFePO4 12 volt batteries (100ah, Chins and LION Energy), and have 3-4 of each, all bought at same time.

Prior to getting the Ecoflow, I had the plan of piecemeal systems, so I have controllers, inverters etc to have decent off grid.

When looking at ease of running (for the family), and all this extra capacity in these batteries, as well as flexible input on Ecoflow PRO, Could these LiFePO4 batteries be connected to Ecoflow Pro input (either 12v/24v) to have the extra capacity, if needed in grid down? I am aware will still have to charge additional batteries via separate setup, but would be great to have all that capacity to run. I will be setting up panels for Ecoflow Pro, delivering about 6-800 watts (I know could take more)

I see no reason why not, and would think best to use 24 volt battery setup as input to EcoFlow Pro?

Any thoughts/ideas on options?

8A limit, so 96W @ 12V and 192W @ 24V

24V would require that you top balance the 12V prior to placing in series.

As long as your average power consumption doesn't exceed 96W (12V) / 192W (24V), the LFP batteries act as a "battery expansion" to the unit.

You could also connect a battery to the PV input. Obviously you wouldn't be able to charge from solar at the same time then.

You could also connect a battery to the PV input. Obviously you wouldn't be able to charge from solar at the same time then.
That's what I was thinking, especially at night.... sending in juice when sun is down... You think, since all my batteries are 12volt, 100ah, that would be more efficient as 12 volt or 24 volt going in? (Serial / Parallel.).. Since all my batteries have BMS, I would think only need connector to connect to PV Input, nothing else?

That's what I was thinking, especially at night.... sending in juice when sun is down... You think, since all my batteries are 12volt, 100ah, that would be more efficient as 12 volt or 24 volt going in? (Serial / Parallel.).. Since all my batteries have BMS, I would think only need connector to connect to PV Input, nothing else?
As high as you can, as the DC input can take in 15A max and 150V max. So the higher the voltage (as long as it's under the max limit), the higher your charge rate. You only need a power cable going from your batteries with a XT60 connector on the other end to plug into the DP.

As high as you can, as the DC input can take in 15A max and 150V max. So the higher the voltage (as long as it's under the max limit), the higher your charge rate. You only need a power cable going from your batteries with a XT60 connector on the other end to plug into the DP.
The YouTube videos I’ve seen used scooter batteries or DIY 18650’s. Has anyone connected a LiPo4 48 volt 100AH battery like this? if I do this with my Delta Pro I’m going to use a 10 amp fuse in case it doesn’t go as planned. Even though the fuse likely wouldn’t blow quick enough to protect circuitry if inrush to a depleted battery is a problem.

The YouTube videos I’ve seen used scooter batteries or DIY 18650’s. Has anyone connected a LiPo4 48 volt 100AH battery like this? if I do this with my Delta Pro I’m going to use a 10 amp fuse in case it doesn’t go as planned. Even though the fuse likely wouldn’t blow quick enough to protect circuitry if inrush to a depleted battery is a problem.
I've seen people connect 12V and 24V batteries, as well as AC-DC power supplies that outputs >100V, directly into the Delta Pro's DC input. It all worked just fine.

I've seen people connect 12V and 24V batteries, as well as AC-DC power supplies that outputs >100V, directly into the Delta Pro's DC input. It all worked just fine.
A power supply isn’t a 48v battery, power supply is fused and can’t deliver massive amps, solar panels are fused by most. Everything is fine until it isn’t.

A power supply isn’t a 48v battery, power supply is fused and can’t deliver massive amps, solar panels are fused by most. Everything is fine until it isn’t.
I hear you. I’m only relating to you any DC source less than 150V will charge the DP. Feel free to add a class T fuse if you are worried.

8A limit, so 96W @ 12V and 192W @ 24V

24V would require that you top balance the 12V prior to placing in series.

As long as your average power consumption doesn't exceed 96W (12V) / 192W (24V), the LFP batteries act as a "battery expansion" to the unit.
This is an older thread, but I wanted people to be aware you can get around the 8A limit, if you use the Ecoflow original MC4 cord as input or to purchase some XT60i connectors and connect the center data pin to negative. This allows the Ecoflow to pull 15amps. Just be sure your other components can handle the additional amperage.

This is an older thread, but I wanted people to be aware you can get around the 8A limit, if you use the Ecoflow original MC4 cord as input or to purchase some XT60i connectors and connect the center data pin to negative. This allows the Ecoflow to pull 15amps. Just be sure your other components can handle the additional amperage.
Can you tell where did you find this info? Maybe you also know how to connect lfp batteries to the ecoflow extra battery port so it also can be charged? I am looking for some info on reverse engineering of the data pins, maybe there are similar workarounds?

Can you tell where did you find this info? Maybe you also know how to connect lfp batteries to the ecoflow extra battery port so it also can be charged? I am looking for some info on reverse engineering of the data pins, maybe there are similar workarounds?
I personally have not seen information on the extra battery port, but that would be a great idea.

This information is available on the official EcoFlow Delta Series facebook group. It's a pretty big group (over 50k members) and has a lot of good information there. Regarding if you can attach your own battery to the Extra Battery port: the answer is no. The port and protocol is proprietary.

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread. I'm planning on using a 12v 100Ah lfp battery as an "extension" battery for my Delta 2 max if needed, using one of these cables, will the 12AWG be ok for 12V at 15A feeding one of the d2ms mppt ports (cable length of 2 feet)? Is that the correct pin out on the xt60i so the d2m recognizes it to be solar input versus car input?

Screenshot_20230824_140051_Chrome.jpg

From the picture, that looks like it would be okay. I don't know what the signal pin is connected to, but you could probably change it easily if needed. A link would be more helpful.

So in the page to the original item it states: "The center of the XT60I-F connector has a signal pin that can be soldered with a signal cable to transmit signals." So it appears this pin is not connected to anything. You can open up the XT60I and connect the signal pin to positive or negative depending on if you want the unit to pull 8 amps or 15 amps. See: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/ecoflow-delta-pro-charging-from-a-switching-power-supply.43369 If this pin is not connected, or doesn't exist the Delta Pro will only pull 8 amps.
The 12 gauage wire is enough for the 15-16 amps over that short run.

Of course option B does not have the middle signal pin at all as the connector is just an XT60.

I just got a Delta 2 and I was thinking about supplementing with an external LiFePo4 battery, as discussed here. I read somewhere that there's a risk of over-discharging the EF device when when simultaneously charging and discharging. If I set a discharge limit for the Delta 2, will it stop discharging when it hits that limit? Assuming that I set a discharge limit for the EF and use some kind of BMS to control the discharge on the external battery, is there anything else I need to do the protect both devices?

Back