diy solar

diy solar

Just got my EB150 and a couple of questions if I could

adventuretrimarans

Hi Everyone.

New to all this and pretty excited as this unit will be a great help camping and using various tools when working on my cars/boats away from my workshop.

Anyway, unboxed and connected up my first 200w Dokio and getting 158-160 watts straight away. Great. It is an unusually nice day here in the UK so I was always banking on putting both 200w panels in series.

I've got cabling sorted to test the 2 panels in series on Sunday as away sailing for a couple of days now but in the meantime I'm trying to find out about other charging options.

Looking at the 240V AC power brick that comes with it I'm getting 215watts at 42V and the EB150 can take up to 500w I believe.

So when I'm driving along in the van I want to be able to charge and have a 300w pure sine wave inverter so I can just plug the brick into that in with no problems I think?

Separately I have had this charger for some time: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/car-chargers/6796710 which can be set to output 24v @ 5amps which would fall squarely in the volt/amp range for the DC input the EB150 can use?

It doesn't come with the 8m tip but there is a plug tip that fits the 8mm tip that comes with the Dokio so it seems good to go.

However, I thought I would drop Bluetti support a quick note and about half a dozen emails later they are saying:
"as the internal hardware of the product does not support car chargers, this is due to the product itself.
You may try to do so, but we cannot guarantee the results of your connection, so we do not recommend that you do so."

So I have kept asking them how/why/if either pure sine wave inverter plus brick could cause any issue with the EB150 and this is the answer I keep getting.

Is there any possible way that using either the straight dc-dc boost charger or the pure sine wave inverter could cause any issues?

I can't see how or why but I would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me!

Also, if both methods are equally going to cause no problem, which is likely to be the most efficient way of doing it?

The dc-dc charger is much smaller and more compact and has no fan running making more noise so that would be great, but either is perfectly acceptable in reality.

Thanks for any help/insight that can be offered!

I've got lots of things to learn and understand related to this and I'm also going off to electric outboards and ebikes.

I've got a 48V 30Ah 2800 watt battery with 70 amp BMS ready for my 2800w electric outboard that arrives next week. I'm going to make a nice battery carry case to fit in the frame of my bike for the the Bafang M600 (500w) unit on order and the battery will be used both on my bike and the trimaran so we will really get max use out of it.

I'm thinking then the boat/bike battery could potentially be used as a fantastic additional back up for the EB150 potentially as well as it only weighs around 8kg before the case and will only be about 27x25x8cm so tiny compared to the EB150.

As I said, very excited about all of this and look forward to hearing from some of you!

Hi,
Just bumping this wondering if either 24V car charger or the pure sine wave inverter in my car will cause any problems with my EB150 as the support is simply not answering my questions. I'm not clear why? Is it such a stupid question they won't waste their time on it?

Anyway, if someone could find time to help I would be grateful as I just don't want to damage it.

If I can't get an answer I guess I will return it and buy something with it definitively built in as I don't want risk £1k+ of kit failing and not being able to make a warranty claim.

I cannot see how it would cause a problem but being super careful.

Thanks again for any info anyone can offer.

Greetings from a fellow UK member!

Forgive me but I fail to understand what your question is?

As for the DC-DC charging option and the car charger linked in your post, it clearly states 84W max output at 3.5A. Sure it will charge the EB150 but at snail's pace. Using the original power brick via a PSW inverter should work but not the most efficient way to charge. DC-DC is better that DC-AC-DC.

The EB150 comes with a 160W AC charger in the box. It can support up to 500W max at 10A. You could connect A 48v battery to the EB150. That'll take it to the max 500W inout range. The MPPT charge controller/BMS will do the rest.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Techman Solar. It was just about the way the support was indicating "I shouldn't do either charging method as it could damage the product" and would not tell me why / how.

I can't see how it possibly could but just wanting some re-asssurance.

It is really just so I have options even if slow to top up when overcast etc - nice and sunny for a few days now but reverting to type shortly!

Thanks again.

I see no reason why car charging should be an issue. If it could cause damage, they should explain how.

My personal experience with customer service of some of these manufacturers [including PowerOak (same as Bluetti)] is that sometimes they a) don't have a clue or b) do not fully understand your query. Therefore the response you receive is not always correct.

Techman

Not sure if you saw HOBOTECH car charging EB150 with BESTTEK 300W Pure Sine Inverter. May be useful

Not sure if you saw HOBOTECH car charging EB150 with BESTTEK 300W Pure Sine Inverter. May be useful
Hi yes I did - I even sent that video link to the Bluetti support but they continued to claim it was not supported and made it sound like any problems I might ever have would go nowhere due to invalidateing the warranty.

Gave up - I charged it via my PSW inverter today and it worked a treat.

I'm happy with the box - really nice bit of kit and does exactly what I need and thanks for your interest!

Back