diy solar

diy solar

Just learning about solar. Might hook up a Solar panel to my shop. Can someone explain this battery hook up to me. It looks to be series & parallel

2 12v batteries in series to run a 24v inverter. Allows a larger inverter (watts) without huge wire size to run 24v rather than 12v.

Ok got it. If you remove the charger controller leads, the two batteries are wired in series to a 24v inverter.
Thanks

Another question about the picture above. Take four solar panels above I know there's 8 but 4 are in series.
If the solar panels are 12v out and wired in series would that not be 48v feeding in to the charge controller?
Not 24v . that is feeding the batteries and the inverter.
Thanks in advance. I'm just trying to get some of the basic stuff clear in my head.

The Voltage from the 4 panels in series will be more than 48V since the word '12V panel' does not really mean each panel is putting out 12V, you need to look at the actual spec of the panel, you will look for Voc,Vmp, Imp, and Isc spec. The total Voc should not exceed the SCC Max PV input Voltage and you should add about 15% more for cold weather since Voc of the panel will go up when the panel gets cold.
The SCC will convert (MPPT is basically a smart Buck converter) the power draw from the panels to the required battery charging Voltage and up to the max charging current the SCC can provide to the batteries.
The panel setup as shown in the picture is 4S2P configuration.

Back