diy solar

diy solar

Just ordered 2x280Ah 12v Eel Batteries with custom JK BMS pre-installed by Howard's team

tytorres

Hey guys, first post. I hope I'm not breaking any etiquette with this.

I decided on Eel Battery after several weeks of research: https://eelbattery.myshopify.com/pr...30ah-280ah-310ah-cells?variant=39865471008857

Better bang for the buck thank Ampere Time, and more secure and easier for a newbie than fixing a bunch of Docan power EVE cells with steel plates and rods etc. Plus Eel is more flexible and has better metal case than Chin or Ampere time and cost per Wh is substantially less also. Finally, Howard is awesome. Asked for JK BMS instead of factory BMS and he agreed. Told me I just needed 1 JK for both batteries in parallel, so I saved money there.

Ships tomorrow and 30 days en route to the southern AZ desert. I'll keep you guys posted after they get here.

This is for a 2009 Trailmanor 2720SL. Upgrading from 2x60Ah deep cycle lead acid batteries of slightly different sizes and ages from previous owner. Currently have his 2x100w solar panels and a Windy Nation SCC that I don't think works very well (battery indicator says "empty" but voltage says 16+v and my batteries seem to be ok with my current hyper-conservative use patterns).

Will probably upgrade with 3x200w Rich Solar panels in addition to the existing 2x100w. Still need MPPT controller that can handle all that and a large inverter.

Thinking of getting this inverter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/290987608713

Somebody on another forum just abused one of those to test it and it passed with flying colors. That guy now uses that brand exclusively. Lots of bang for the buck.

Power usage will be high, between coffee maker, microwave, and perhaps occasional Air Conditioner use. Also powering a 110v 335kWr fridge/freezer unit.

I admit I wish I could get the BMS, SCC, and Inverter to all talk to each other using a single app. Not sure if there's a way to do that.

Also, my ultimate goal is to find a way to automatically make my camper let me use all my built-in AC outlets on battery power UNLESS I plug in. I know that involves and automatic transfer switch but I don't know where that piece goes among my components. Also trying to avoid replacing my factory Trailmanor converter if possible.

Any other tips and tricks (and especially instruction and correction!) would be most welcome.

@tytorres what was experience with EEL? How long did it take to receive the battery? Right now their 230ah seems like have a good price of $700 including tax and shipping.

@tytorres what was experience with EEL? How long did it take to receive the battery? Right now their 230ah seems like have a good price of $700 including tax and shipping.

I actually ended up getting a refund before shipping. Howard was very nice, but I needed a very specific BMS that his engineers couldn’t accommodate. Seems like a great company.

Back