diy solar

diy solar

Just ordered Lifepo4 prismatic cell 3.2V 280Ah lithium lifepo4

That is great! I am going to order another set from BASEN after CN new year is over. Right now the price has gone up a little bit, not sure if it will fall in the futire or not.

now have to figure out a case... and if how to compression... I will only be pulling .1C

nice, that thing look heavy :)
That seems to suggest they are 280ah cells? I assume you have some other plan for moving this 100lb case around other than the flimsy handle on the top?

it will prolly weight 120lbs

I lifted by the handle. it will handle it.. but the grab handle at each end are better.. this box has zero flex.

they are 272ah from basen

Last edited:
The box has a 66 pound load capacity. It could be underrated and lifting by the ends will probably be fine. If moving it around often I would add plywood to the bottom to reinforce it. Just be careful the case doesn't start to flex which will put stress on the cells terminals.

The box has a 66 pound load capacity. It could be underrated and lifting by the ends will probably be fine. If moving it around often I would add plywood to the bottom to reinforce it. Just be careful the case doesn't start to flex which will put stress on the cells terminals.
it will be permanently mounted to the floor of my RV. so it will be fine...

Curious: Are they cells being compressed left to right in this case? Reading this document (p.8) I was left with the impression that it is pretty important but, I'm still VERY much in the learning stage here.
I will be at very low C rates (like .1c) and very few deep cycles. I don't believe as important.. also not going to build a fancy apparatus either.

I do plan an using the box to provide some.. i am thinking I will put aluminum plates on each end of the battery then spray foam and it will apply some force...

I am also going to use some VHB tape between the cells to help with vibration and prevent rubbing

Curious: Are they cells being compressed left to right in this case? Reading this document (p.8) I was left with the impression that it is pretty important but, I'm still VERY much in the learning stage here.
By the way i just started this ideal in Oct. and ordered batteries Nov 21 so I am so learning also

I will be at very low C rates (like .1c) and very few deep cycles.
I believe you but, I've not a clue as to what this means! lol. Actually, deep cycles I kinda' get but, C rates I've not formed a comprehension of yet. I see them talked about here and there but, have yet to see them relating to anything I'm doing.... that I know of!

I believe you but, I've not a clue as to what this means! lol. Actually, deep cycles I kinda' get but, C rates I've not formed a comprehension of yet. I see them talked about here and there but, have yet to see them relating to anything I'm doing.... that I know of!
C rates is the current (amps) of charge-discharge.

these batteries have
1C (280 amps) discharge (using it)
.5C (140 amps) charging

my use needs are 15-120 amps and I have a 580 AH battery.. so .02C to .2C

I will be at very low C rates (like .1c) and very few deep cycles. I don't believe as important.. also not going to build a fancy apparatus either.

I do plan an using the box to provide some.. i am thinking I will put aluminum plates on each end of the battery then spray foam and it will apply some force...

I am also going to use some VHB tape between the cells to help with vibration and prevent rubbing
I have been charging my EVE cells with a 12 amp charger and they do expand. They also deflate when discharging with an average load of 15 amps. Mounting the cells in a fixture has been more than covered so I will pass on that. However since your cells will be in a mobile environment it's most important to prevent stress on the cell terminals.

From everything I have read and from my own observation of my cells, I am seriously considering getting either braided or flexible bus bars. My cells will be in a stationary environment but I am still concerned about terminal stress due to expansion and contraction. Your cells will be in a mobile environment so there are other things to consider and you know what the other considerations are.

To calculate the C rate you simply take the load or charge current and divide it by the capacity of the battery.

For example I am charging with 12 amps. 12 amps divided by 280 is equal to .04 C rate.

The manufacturers list the maximum and standard C rates in their cells specifications. My 280 amp hour EVE cells are capable of maximum 280 amp 1C rates. That means it will take 1 hour to draw the full 280 amps using a 280 amp load. Or 1 hour to charge with a 280 amp charger. However EVE suggests the standard C rates are .5 C or 140 amps.

The C is short for Coulomb. A coulomb is defined as a unit of electric charge.

To calculate the C rate you simply take the load or charge current and divide it by the capacity of the battery.

For example I am charging with 12 amps. 12 amps divided by 280 is equal to .04 C rate.

The manufacturers list the maximum and standard C rates in their cells specifications. My 280 amp hour EVE cells are capable of maximum 280 amp 1C rates. That means it will take 1 hour to draw the full 280 amps using a 280 amp load. Or 1 hour to charge with a 280 amp charger. However EVE suggests the standard C rates are .5 C or 140 amps.

The C is short for Coulomb. A coulomb is defined as a unit of electric charge.
Awesome. Thank you!

Back