diy solar

diy solar

Just picked up 36 285W STP285 from Santan Solar for $70 ea

Received the promotional email:

Online prices shows $80. Called to place an order to get the $70. Jason indicated it should be fixed on the website soon.

Why did I buy 36 of them?

My name is Steve, and I'm a solarholic.

Srsly tho, I've been thinking long and hard of going grid-tie on our Phoenix home. This 10.28kW worth of panels will provide about 65% of my usage assuming I can get it all on the roof. These panels still have their labels and are thus not restricted to off-grid only.

The panels cost me almost exactly 1 year worth of juice from SRP. With mostly DIY, shooting for a <4 (probably 5) year breakeven (based on the 65% offset), and it's an opportunity to learn about the grid-tie side of things, of which I know nothing essentially meaningful.

I'm not ready to go for it, but this deal will be hard to beat in the next year, so I'm willing to pull the trigger even if they have to sit for some time.
Wow, those weigh just shy of 60 pounds each! About 20 pounds (each) heavier than my 72 cell 330W JAs. I wonder why so heavy?

I wouldnt guess 60 pound. I unloaded them by hand and would guess around 20 to 25 pounds

Last edited:
I would guess 60 pound. I unloaded them by hand and would guess around 20 to 25 pounds
As the person responsible for moving them up to the roof, and putting them in place by myself I can say with upmost certainty that I'd have not made it if each of my panels had been 20 pounds heavier. When you have to stand on the edge of the roof and reach down to below your feet, and have to 'snatch' it to the roof in one move, 20 extra pounds is a LOT.

These are every bit as heavy as my 330W Talesun. I was a little shocked. Definitely 50-60#.

Wow! I wonder if yours are really heavy, or I lucked out and found really light ones?

Hmmm... My 330W Talesun:

I clearly rounded up, but 48.5# is the same as 50-60# to me, particularly after lifting the 18th one... might even be closer to 70# at that point. :)

Just checked the label.... 27kg on the Suntech... 59#. I thought it was just my old age and progressive enfeeblement that made them seem heavier... :)

Hmmm... My 330W Talesun:

I clearly rounded up, but 48.5# is the same as 50-60# to me, particularly after lifting the 18th one... might even be closer to 70# at that point. :)

Just checked the label.... 27kg on the Suntech... 59#. I thought it was just my old age and progressive enfeeblement that made them seem heavier... :)
20.4kg (~45lb) on these, though I see some in this same brand that weighs as much as 26 - I was thinking of my back when I ordered them, maybe I found the light exception?

I have some older panels that are heavier than the "regulars". I noticed that the glass was thicker and they were rated at higher impact resistance. That was the difference. As the mfr was close to bankruptcy, they started using thinner glass later. They kept the same model # though.

Back