diy solar

diy solar

Just Place new Order on Alibaba- 280AH x 8 for 1260.00 USD Delivered, Grade A to Canada

Speaking of Battleborns, I wonder if prices of these cells bring down Battleborns down a little in the near future. The difference is just huge, even all other factors considered, having BMS built in, assembled battery, customer support etc... There is just no reason for someone with a little "handyman" skill would pass on this.

Great thread guys - I'm new here, but I'll be darned if I'm going to pay $1100 AUD for more Calb cells if I can get these with twice the capacity for $850 AUD landed in sets of four!

I plan to buy 12 in 2 months, then the last 4 a month later, then I can finally start using my Victron 48/3000 inverter, ditch my dying lead acids, turn the Calbs into a mobile camping battery, and start saving on electricity.

Spoken to Amy earlier, what a trooper. She is really sweet, and very helpful.

OKAY... the Chicken Little routine is a bit much... Seriously, it's a freaking factory filling plug. IF that is such a problem, then buy Winston or Calb cells and move on. These do not meet the criteria of BLEM or Grade-B. The first clue, is all the identifiers are ON the cells including the QR Codes. Blems, Grade-B and recycled usually have that either removed, scratched off, or covered over. So if you want to be dramatic about the plugs, then buy something else and leave the hyperbole in the waste bin.
[/QUOTE
I can't believe your attitude on this subject. This is about being informed. Not about giving attitude where it does not belong.. This forum is about information and learning.

Luke; here is a quick image. there's a daly 200a BMS on the left. I used some pieces of styrofoam for heat isolation. you can't see them but there is also a heating pad on each side of the battery. the BMS is upright in side the case mounted to some wood. since the cells were so thick I had to solder a little extension wire to the very last BMS wire. The wire harness for the BMS and the ISDT cell monitor are soldered together. Overall I would say the group31 case works great.

View attachment 8293View attachment 8294
It looks like you used longer bolts with nuts on them. What length bolts did you use, 25mm-30mm or?

Received my eight 280AH cells today. They were well packaged and look new. Waiting for capacity tester to arrive, another month probably. Thanks to everyone for the information, and to Amy and Xuba for excellent communication along the way.xuba1a.jpgxuba2a.jpg

And, for what it is worth, the voltages are 3.299 for 6 of the cells, and 3.300 for 2 of the cells.
0.001V I'd say they're pretty well matched. Are you going to top balance them in parallel to 3.65V, before building your battery/ies?

It looks like you used longer bolts with nuts on them. What length bolts did you use, 25mm-30mm or?
Sgt Raven: those are M6 - 25mm brass bolts. (off of ebay). I got them a wee bit longer as I wanted the double nuts on there to make sure it is nice and tight. (I don't remember but this approach was a good recommendation from someone else on this site. It might have been Steve_S). you'll also notice that the top nut is a nylon thread locking nut. I thought these were all good approaches because the threaded hole on each of the cells is very very shallow. (only 10mm ) I don't want these vibrating loose while in the 5th wheel. I also made sure the top of the battery case comes off quickly without any wire removal issues so I can do a quick inspection.

IMG_0226.jpg

Sgt Raven: those are M6 - 25mm brass bolts. (off of ebay). I got them a wee bit longer as I wanted the double nuts on there to make sure it is nice and tight. (I don't remember but this approach was a good recommendation from someone else on this site. It might have been Steve_S). you'll also notice that the top nut is a nylon thread locking nut. I thought these were all good approaches because the threaded hole on each of the cells is very very shallow. (only 10mm ) I don't want these vibrating loose while in the 5th wheel. I also made sure the top of the battery case comes off quickly without any wire removal issues so I can do a quick inspection.

View attachment 8490
Thanks for getting back to us on this. That is a prefect picture of what you did.
I was thinking of using stainless bolts, with a brass washer under the nuts.
FYI, a #14 brass machine screw washer is listed having a 0.24 hole and should work with a M6 bolt.
That is the specs I've seen and they carry #14 brass washers at Home Depot.
M6 is listed as 0.2362 in. diameter.

ETA: I saved your pic to my computer, so I don't have to hunt it down in the future.

I'm considering using Allen head studs if I can find what I want along with nuts like this. Then 3d print cell covers that would fit over the studs. Just daydream designing at the moment since I haven't purchased any cells yet ?

I'm considering using Allen head studs if I can find what I want along with nuts like this. Then 3d print cell covers that would fit over the studs. Just daydream designing at the moment since I haven't purchased any cells yet ?
Yes, M6 Grub/set screws would be perfect, if you can find them in a reasonable time frame. Or use bolts like this, till the studs arrive. Another poster here suggested screwing them in till they lightly bottom out and backing them off 1.5 turns. Then hold the bolt/stud while tightening the nuts. That way you not putting to much pressure on the bottom of the terminal.

I have been thinking about this as well for a 3D printed top but also bottom that the batteries could sit in. Just make strapping them easier. Unfortunately I just dont have the time to design this and or fix my 3D printer. But could maybe print from one at work.

I have a prototype bottom, I ran out of filament before it completed but you get the idea. I'm now looking at cramping 12 cells into an 8d box so I will probably just tape mine now.IMG_20200301_070137.jpg

I have a prototype bottom, I ran out of filament before it completed but you get the idea. I'm now looking at cramping 12 cells into an 8d box so I will probably just tape mine now.View attachment 8498
Oh look how pretty!! So is that for 8 cells? I need to go this route as I will be putting mine in a Pelican 1440 case but like to have a good top and bottom and clamped for the 4 cells.

No this is a knockoff of the fortune cell. If I did this I was going to make a bottom for each cell to glue into. Similar for the top too. Then there is a knockout in them to allow threaded rods to hold them all together. This was just a prototype to see if I could make one in my new printer.

Been searched hard and have placed an order with an Assured Alibaba company Shenzhen Xuba Electronic Trading Co., Ltd. They will select well balanced cells with matching resistance and they promise to send me a video of my cells being matched and tested before they ship. I will do a full test of capacity and balancing as sooon as I get. Shipping by air.

Michael
View attachment 5127
What kind of BMS and SCC will you use?

0.001V I'd say they're pretty well matched. Are you going to top balance them in parallel to 3.65V, before building your battery/ies?
I'm leaning toward bottom balancing to start with (single 8s). Still have a month or so until I receive my capacity tester and power supply. I'm learning as I go, and I'm going very slowly!

I'm leaning toward bottom balancing to start with (single 8s). Still have a month or so until I receive my capacity tester and power supply. I'm learning as I go, and I'm going very slowly!
My batch is supposed to arrive today so I better get my driveway snow blowed (Ol Ma Nature dumped 5" if wet'n heavy ick on me last night). I have yet to receive my 180W Load Tester or 3-14V 50A Charger units - well apparently the Charger is at my post office waiting on me. I decided I want to test each cell independently before I put together packs. I'll be posting my finding in my Xuba thread. I was hoping that I had my orders placed / timed so they would come in close together... BMS' and a lot of the needed stuff has arrived though but not in the right order darn it.

My batch is supposed to arrive today so I better get my driveway snow blowed (Ol Ma Nature dumped 5" if wet'n heavy ick on me last night). I have yet to receive my 180W Load Tester or 3-14V 50A Charger units - well apparently the Charger is at my post office waiting on me. I decided I want to test each cell independently before I put together packs. I'll be posting my finding in my Xuba thread. I was hoping that I had my orders placed / timed so they would come in close together... BMS' and a lot of the needed stuff has arrived though but not in the right order darn it.
Mine came yesterday and sent message to Amy this morning that the packaging was perfect and the inner box really protected them because the external one was torn some. Then the each individual cells wrapped adds to the protection. Each tested perfect and all looks great!! I cant wait to start putting things together but still need to decided on charger etc. I'm still waiting on my BMS too. I have a Pelican 1440 case coming that these will go into.

Just out of curiosity, how soon after dispatch have you been able to track your orders in your country (or continent) . My order is coming to US with Fedex, left on 2/26 by air and Fedex still doesn't show any tracking data. Just shows "tracking number can not be found..."

Back