diy solar

diy solar

Just purchased 8 280Ah

It doesn't matter if you put them in series or parallel. If you're driving an inverter, it's going to take the same power from the batteries. So at 24v, it would draw 125A. At 12v, it would draw 250A, or 125A from each of two batteries in parallel. Or am I misreading what you intend?
I can confuse myself sometimes so pardon my probably less than clear question. There are some things I think I learned that have guided my path.

Starting with 6X100w 18v panels I intended to wire 3 in series and then put in parallel for 24v headed to the charge controller

I have the 8 cell 272ah batteries coming that I want to connect to a 3000W inverter and I ultimately want my 12v and 110v output to connect into my TT system.

So, given I have 24V coming in, what is the best components that get me there. Not so much brands, but generic nomenclature. I know Woodey was looking for a BMS for the same set of batteries. I need more help than he does :)

look at the Electrodacus SBMS0 for a 24-volt solar battery management system. i have mine hooked up to 16 Lishen 272Ah cells. 2P8S battery bank configuration. works great.
Thanks...Given my ignorance, I am still trying to figure out if it is better to build the batteries as a 24v vs 12v system. I am assuming whether I build in series or parallel determines how the BMS would be attached?

I would like to start buying the rest of the components but I still trying to grasp how you get from A-Z...

Lew the Confused

Thanks...Given my ignorance, I am still trying to figure out if it is better to build the batteries as a 24v vs 12v system. I am assuming whether I build in series or parallel determines how the BMS would be attached?

I would like to start buying the rest of the components but I still trying to grasp how you get from A-Z...

Lew the Confused
I would go 24-volt system for sure. it sounds like you need to make a decision on the charge controller. charge controllers are based on amperage and watts. you can upgrade later if your charge controller has room to add more solar panels. the DRRR20's will work as a solar charge controller if your panels are 30 or 36 cells? or you can choose an MPPT solar charge controller. the Electodacus SBMS0 can control them also.
the 100 watt panels are pretty small 600watt total but could charge the 8 Lishen 272Ah cells.
12 volt requires larger cables to the inverter as it draws a higher amperage.
24 volt is better in my opinion..... :cool:

Lew the Confused
I would go 24v, make the amps lower for inverters and solar chargers etc. Also seems to keep the prices of things down. Unfortunately for me I’m already on a 12v system and will be sticking with it. Solar charge controllers often don’t like being over voltage or watts. Epaver do huge watt/volt solar chargers so do victron, not sure about other brands. Kisae do a 12v - 24v dc-dc charger bottle sure if other brands make them but I assume they do.

I can confuse myself sometimes so pardon my probably less than clear question. There are some things I think I learned that have guided my path.

Starting with 6X100w 18v panels I intended to wire 3 in series and then put in parallel for 24v headed to the charge controller

I have the 8 cell 272ah batteries coming that I want to connect to a 3000W inverter and I ultimately want my 12v and 110v output to connect into my TT system.

So, given I have 24V coming in, what is the best components that get me there. Not so much brands, but generic nomenclature. I know Woodey was looking for a BMS for the same set of batteries. I need more help than he does :)
I actually need all the same stuff as you and i'm in the same boat. I am looking at getting one of these all in one units so I can use in the RV or cargo/hunting trailer or as a backup power for grid down power outages with the California fire situation in the past few years.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...offerlist.normal_offer.d_title.437e290cDx5zrd
I can move this and the batteries to any location pretty easy.

OK....just since I would like to learn, and I would done a lot of research, here is what I came up with. Realizing I am not including cables, fuses, etc.

6-100w HQST 18v panels connected to factory solar wiring 24v
Outback Flexmax 80 charge controller
8-272a Lishen cells
BMS-not nailed down yet
Victron battery monitor
24DC-12DC converter 40A
3000W Giandel Inverter
AIMS 75A charger
MOES 50A ATS

Since I am sure half of the things are incorrect, I would really appreciate being told what is incompatible, which is overpowered, which is underpowered, etc. Lots of this is from Will's videos.

You guys are awesome!

OK....just since I would like to learn, and I would done a lot of research, here is what I came up with. Realizing I am not including cables, fuses, etc.

6-100w HQST 18v panels connected to factory solar wiring 24v
Outback Flexmax 80 charge controller
8-272a Lishen cells
BMS-not nailed down yet
Victron battery monitor
24DC-12DC converter 40A
3000W Giandel Inverter
AIMS 75A charger
MOES 50A ATS

Since I am sure half of the things are incorrect, I would really appreciate being told what is incompatible, which is overpowered, which is underpowered, etc. Lots of this is from Will's videos.

You guys are awesome!
Hop on to https://mwands.com/Solar-Panel-Connectors_c_99.html for MC4, cable, crimpers, dc circuit breakers and other stuff.

Just received a quote on this 3000 watt unit
Hi Woodey ,good day! Thanks for your inquiry for hybrid inverter. The price for 3000W hybrid split phase inverter with 50A mppt solar controller is 337$ per pcs, and the shipping cost by Fedex is 228$, So the total cost is 565$.

Just received a quote on this 3000 watt unit
Hi Woodey ,good day! Thanks for your inquiry for hybrid inverter. The price for 3000W hybrid split phase inverter with 50A mppt solar controller is 337$ per pcs, and the shipping cost by Fedex is 228$, So the total cost is 565$.
Is that a well known AIO, and what does one do for support in the event of a failure?

Lew the Confused
One thing to look at is the efficiency of the inverter. I think, in general, higher input voltages give you better conversion efficiency. Efficiency varies across manufacturers. As someone else noted, you also reduce the size (and cost) of wire.

One thing to look at is the efficiency of the inverter. I think, in general, higher input voltages give you better conversion efficiency. Efficiency varies across manufacturers. As someone else noted, you also reduce the size (and cost) of wire.
Most of the models I looked at range from 88-90% efficiency. The Victron was slightly higher, around 92%.

Speaking of which, my list of components includes an inverter, battery charger, and ATS. Does it make sense to pay more for a Victron Multiplus which combines the three. More money, but maybe some advantages of combing all three functions in one. Thoughts?

Most of the models I looked at range from 88-90% efficiency. The Victron was slightly higher, around 92%.

Speaking of which, my list of components includes an inverter, battery charger, and ATS. Does it make sense to pay more for a Victron Multiplus which combines the three. More money, but maybe some advantages of combing all three functions in one. Thoughts?
There are several different directions you could go with. Samlex makes good inverter/chargers...right up there with Victron IMO. The Samlex is a LF inverter which means it can deal with surges better than HF inverters and as far as I know better than the Victron.

You could also look at complete all in one solutions such as MPP Solar and Growatt. They all allow the user to program HVD and LVD's. Since it's advisable to stay within the knees of the battery I am looking for something I can program.

Then there is the mid range such as Aims and Sigineer inverters. Programming is limited on those but they are good inverters.

I have never owned any of these so I am just passing one what I have read about them by researching and reading the spec sheets. And what other users recommend. There is no one size fits all solutions. But very important to keep in mind is what type of support does one receive in the event of a failure, whether within the warranty period or not.

I have been struggling deciding on an inverter/charger. I will be using it for a UPS in my apartment. I am leaning towards the Samlex EVO-1224F. The only thing I don't like about it is one needs to purchase the remote display in order to be able to program it.

I have even considered Ampinvt inverters. But I am hesitant to buy one simply because there isn't much known about them and I don't know how well they support them. The company that makes them is Top One Power and I contacted them directly on Alibaba. The translation from the other side was getting to me...lol. I also contacted Ampinvt and communication was better and I think support would be better since they are shipped from the USA. But I am still hesitant.

There are several different directions you could go with. Samlex makes good inverter/chargers...right up there with Victron IMO. The Samlex is a LF inverter which means it can deal with surges better than HF inverters and as far as I know better than the Victron.

You could also look at complete all in one solutions such as MPP Solar and Growatt. They all allow the user to program HVD and LVD's. Since it's advisable to stay within the knees of the battery I am looking for something I can program.

Then there is the mid range such as Aims and Sigineer inverters. Programming is limited on those but they are good inverters.

I have never owned any of these so I am just passing one what I have read about them by researching and reading the spec sheets. And what other users recommend. There is no one size fits all solutions. But very important to keep in mind is what type of support does one receive in the event of a failure, whether within the warranty period or not.

I have been struggling deciding on an inverter/charger. I will be using it for a UPS in my apartment. I am leaning towards the Samlex EVO-1224F. The only thing I don't like about it is one needs to purchase the remote display in order to be able to program it.

I have even considered Ampinvt inverters. But I am hesitant to buy one simply because there isn't much known about them and I don't know how well they support them. The company that makes them is Top One Power and I contacted them directly on Alibaba. The translation from the other side was getting to me...lol. I also contacted Ampinvt and communication was better and I think support would be better since they are shipped from the USA. But I am still hesitant.
I'm really interested in these all in one units. I'm also interested in buying direct from china if I can get it for 1/2 the cost or so. I haven't seen anyone talking about buying these direct like the do with the batteries.

Kisae inverter/chargers or the inverter and charger separate are ment to be of high quality. I’ve got the dc2dc charger by them with the built in mppt solar charger, I’ve had it about a year aAnd a half. So far it’s been perfect, loads less hassle than the sterling it replaced.
I am thinking I’m going to end up with the kisae 60a stand alone charger. As for inverters, not sure yet.

I'm really interested in these all in one units. I'm also interested in buying direct from china if I can get it for 1/2 the cost or so. I haven't seen anyone talking about buying these direct like the do with the batteries.
Probably because there is a trusted MPP Solar distributer in the USA. His pricing is more but then his support is very good. Growatt is good too. I have never heard of the one you posted in your third link.

Kisae inverter/chargers or the inverter and charger separate are ment to be of high quality. I’ve got the dc2dc charger by them with the built in mppt solar charger, I’ve had it about a year aAnd a half. So far it’s been perfect, loads less hassle than the sterling it replaced.
I am thinking I’m going to end up with the kisae 60a stand alone charger. As for inverters, not sure yet.
I don't know anything about Kisae but I was looking at those too. I couldn't find a 24 volt version. Also they are not LF inverters. However they are UL listed and much lighter than LF inverters.

If I decide to go with Samlex I will order from Don Rowe because his prices are the best I have been able to find.

I tried the MPPSolar link and for 24V I only found a 2400W unit, I am looking for a 3000W unit.

I don't know anything about Kisae but I was looking at those too. I couldn't find a 24 volt version. Also they are not LF inverters. However they are UL listed and much lighter than LF inverters.

If I decide to go with Samlex I will order from Don Rowe because his prices are the best I have been able to find.
There is a 24V version (but only 30A): http://www.kisaepower.com/wp-conten...nual_DMT12V_24V-Series_Rev-D_190612_Print.pdf

What is the difference between one of these and a standard MPPT charge controller such as those fold by Epever?

Is the charging profile suitable for lfp or programmable on the mppsolar? Can’t find anything fb on alibaba saying either way. For the money they look a good deal. Are they like epever was a few years back? A good deal but expect to have to replace it in a couple of years time

Back