diy solar

diy solar

Just purchased 8 280Ah

try to find 60 or 72 cell panels; I do not know about 33 cell panels; you might go to electrodacus.com and ask this question to Dacian the owner engineer of Electrodacus. my 60 cell 250-watt panels are 39 x 65 inches each. I put the in pairs of 2 and this works great. the newer 72 cell panels have more watts so you may want to get the higher wattage 72 cell panels. I bought 2 pallets of used 60 cell panels for cheap on eBay.
look at Electrodacus.com for his products. :cool:
I just spent about 2 hours trying to find panels that will fit that are some other cell configuration. The solar panels seem to be either 26 or 39" wide. The 39 are too wide, and if I go with 26", the wasted space causes me to drop from 600w to 400w, i.e. two 200w 26" wide panels vs. 6 36" wide panels for 600w. Due to my ignorance, I don't understand the significance of the number of cells. Seems what matters is how many volts/watts you are pushing down the wire at the voltage you want, i.e. 24V. Seems the more I learn the less I know or understand.
Thanks!

I just spent about 2 hours trying to find panels that will fit that are some other cell configuration. The solar panels seem to be either 26 or 39" wide. The 39 are too wide, and if I go with 26", the wasted space causes me to drop from 600w to 400w, i.e. two 200w 26" wide panels vs. 6 36" wide panels for 600w. Due to my ignorance, I don't understand the significance of the number of cells. Seems what matters is how many volts/watts you are pushing down the wire at the voltage you want, i.e. 24V. Seems the more I learn the less I know or understand.
Thanks!
It sounds like the amount of mounting space is your primary problem. Dacian the owner of Electrodacus indicates you can use 30 or 36 cell panels in groups of 2. with the dssr20. the amperage of the DSSR20 can handle up to 24Amps but is rated for 20 amps each. a 24volt battery bank likes to receive 28 or 30 volts more or less to get a good charge. the LiFePO4 batteries like a lot of amps. perhaps 30 or 36 cell panels will fit your mounting size dilemma.

I have no new update yet but that the ship was in port at long beach California on December 22nd. maybe in a few more days. :cool:
I ordered these on the 18th of November. much patience is needed!!!!
My cells final arrived, they look good & fit flat together. All the cells are at 3.34v so they seem to be well matched. So far I'm happy with what I recieved & think I got a great deal after comparing what others have paid.

Attachments

• 20210108_121956.jpg
    20210108_121956.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210108_122020.jpg
    20210108_122020.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 30
My cells final arrived, they look good & fit flat together. All the cells are at 3.34v so they seem to be well matched. So far I'm happy with what I recieved & think I got a great deal after comparing what others have paid.
Glad to hear you got the cells and your happy with them. I think we’re are the only two on here to buy from Shenzhen shouhuzhe. How long did delivery take and how long did they expect it to take at purchase? I was told 45 days.
are you going to test ir and do a capacity test?

Glad to hear you got the cells and your happy with them. I think we’re are the only two on here to buy from Shenzhen shouhuzhe. How long did delivery take and how long did they expect it to take at purchase? I was told 45 days.
are you going to test ir and do a capacity test?
There 4 order coming out west about 44 pieces to Canada as we speak from Shenzhen shouhuzhe and like @Woodey said prices were good our order left port Dec 31 so hope to see it mid-late February

I ordered on the 4th of December but I’m in the uk and I’m a bit impatient. My order is by train and could be in customs by now but due to the lack of tracking I’m not sure. When I ordered I was told 45 days to delivery which would be the 15th f this month. Our ports and customs are backed up and brexit isn’t helping.

It sounds like the amount of mounting space is your primary problem. Dacian the owner of Electrodacus indicates you can use 30 or 36 cell panels in groups of 2. with the dssr20. the amperage of the DSSR20 can handle up to 24Amps but is rated for 20 amps each. a 24volt battery bank likes to receive 28 or 30 volts more or less to get a good charge. the LiFePO4 batteries like a lot of amps. perhaps 30 or 36 cell panels will fit your mounting size dilemma.
Kinda, it is both a shortage of space as it is a 22' model, but the fact that the panel makers seem to jump from 27" to 39". One is not hearly wide enough without wasting 1/4 of the space, and the 39" won't fit without hanging over the edge of the roof on a trailer that is already wide (8.5').

I guess I was totally wrong about the panels and don't know where I got the 33 cell info from.

HQST 100W panel

It is my intent to put two sets of 3 in series and if my math is right, that is 24V.

I have been in discussion with Dacian regarding the BMS and mentioned to him I didn't want anything else on the roof requiring wiring other than the factory 8ga pair. I didn't read his last reply yet, but he had said the BMS had to connect to all power sources and all loads. When I look at the other BMS's they only connect to the battery cells with the neg going to a shunt. It seemed he was saying each panel had to have a DSSR20 and it's own wire coming from the panel to the BMS. If I have read things right, it doesn't seem the charge controllers need to "talk" to each panel either? I am obviously ignorant on the matter, but I don't see any other apparatus or connections from other BMS's or charge controllers?

I have no new update yet but that the ship was in port at long beach California on December 22nd. maybe in a few more days. :cool:
I ordered these on the 18th of November. much patience is needed!!!!
My batch of 68 are sitting at Long Beach as of Dec 22, and I've yet to see any change in the fedex tracking.

My batch of 68 are sitting at Long Beach as of Dec 22, and I've yet to see any change in the fedex tracking.
I received notice on Sunday 1/10/2021 that FedEx now has my 32 Lishen 272Ah cells in their possession for delivery. they arrived in long beach California on 12/22/2020.

Kinda, it is both a shortage of space as it is a 22' model, but the fact that the panel makers seem to jump from 27" to 39". One is not hearly wide enough without wasting 1/4 of the space, and the 39" won't fit without hanging over the edge of the roof on a trailer that is already wide (8.5').

I guess I was totally wrong about the panels and don't know where I got the 33 cell info from.

HQST 100W panel

It is my intent to put two sets of 3 in series and if my math is right, that is 24V.

I have been in discussion with Dacian regarding the BMS and mentioned to him I didn't want anything else on the roof requiring wiring other than the factory 8ga pair. I didn't read his last reply yet, but he had said the BMS had to connect to all power sources and all loads. When I look at the other BMS's they only connect to the battery cells with the neg going to a shunt. It seemed he was saying each panel had to have a DSSR20 and it's own wire coming from the panel to the BMS. If I have read things right, it doesn't seem the charge controllers need to "talk" to each panel either? I am obviously ignorant on the matter, but I don't see any other apparatus or connections from other BMS's or charge controllers?
how many cells do your 100-watt panels have? ok, 64 cells. you can parallel them and run 2 into every DSSR20. the DSSR20 is capable of 24 amps but is rated for 20 amp input each. parallel 2 panels outside on the roof 1st.
the SBMS0 is the BMS and it will be located inside in a dry location. the SBMS0 controls the DSSR20's with small 18 to 22 gauge control/sensing wires. the solar panels are connected to the DSSR20's with 10 gauge PV wire -- you will not need 8 gauge here. the dssr20 is connected to the battery positive and battery negative with 10Gauge PV wire. the only wires on the roof of your camper going inside will be the PV wires from you panels going inside to the DSSR20's. the tires from the battery to the inverter are separate and will come off the positive and negative busbar. i use a positive bus bar and a negative busbar. the positive bus bar will need 2 shunts before the fuse and then onto the inverter --- that wire is a very heavy gauge for the size of your inverter.
the 2 shunts are for the SBMS0 to monitor and balance and protect your LiFePO4 battery bank.
the 1st shunt monitors the load side of the positive side of the battery.
the 2nd shunt monitors the PV panels charging of the batteries.
I believe with the 100-watt panels you will put 2 panels in parallel to each DSSR20.
I need more information on your panels.
sorry too short on time at the moment to get the specs on your solar panels and read it.
The only wires outside on the roof will be the PV wires from the solar panels which go inside to the Electrodacus DSSR20 and once inside and connected to the DSSR20's ---then they will be controlled and monitored by the Electrodacus SBMS0 which is the computer controller for the system. the Electrodacus SBMS0 is the most important/critical/essential part of a LIFePO4 battery system. You have to protect and properly charge and discharge the LiFePO4 battery bank for a long life span.

I can post you a few pictures later. I just mounted 2 more panels yesterday and hope to hook them up this morning when it gets light outside. I will then have 4 pairs or 8 panels connected to the LIfePO4 24-volt battery bank. I was pulling in 500 watts in the sun off 2 panels yesterday. my panels are 250-watts 60 cell panels polycrystalline I bought used.

the 1st picture is the Electrodacus with only 2 panels (250Watt each = 500 watts) putting out 439.8 watts at 16.237 Amps. I had 3 dc lights running 28.7-watt load in my solar power shed.
the 2nd picture is the Electrodacus with only 2 panels (250 watts each =500 watts) putting out 462.5 watts at 16.988 Amps. the 2 panels are connected to the Electrodacus DSSR20 in parallel.
1 DSSR20 for 2 panels.
I bought parallel connectors which are done right at the location of the 2 panels mounted to the solar panel support /mounting structure. then the two 10 gauge PV wires (1 red positive, 1 black negative) go inside and connect to a circuit breaker so I can turn the panels on/off when all is hooked up directly to the DSSR20.
the PV panels are mounted at a 45-degree angle toward the south. it is winter and snow out here in South Dakota! :cool:
the SBMS0 monitors and balances the individual LiFePO4 cells in 3 decimal place accuracy as you can see the 8 cells of my 2P8S 24-volt battery bank being actively monitored and balanced. 272Ah 3.2volt 16 cell Lishen battery bank has 13,926.4 Wh potential capacity although they claim it can do up to 285Ah per cell.

Attachments

• 20210111_112847.jpg
    20210111_112847.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210111_132034.jpg
    20210111_132034.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Honestly, it is overwhelming. I just replied back to Dacian as he is also trying to help me understand. If I understood him right, I only needed one DSSR20 for the cable coming from the panels.

Thanks for all of the detail which is about to cause my brain to explode, between you and Dacian :)

So far, there are only 2 givens. The 8 cells on order and the existing 8ga cable that goes from the roof to the hitch batteries, passing under the area I intend to do the install (under bed compartment). I was hoping to configure the system as inexpensively as possible, trying to avoid Victron where I seem to be steered.

BTW, in 2012 I moved to NM from MN where I had lived since 1969 so I know your weather, mild in comparison to MN :) Before this project, I had done research for solar on my house so I had learned about the sun angles and seasons.

I would like to find some kind of servo motor that can turn 90 degrees, allowing me to move the rack from flat to vertical. I have researched various motors and gearing and haven't found one yet. There ought to be a way to turn a dial to the desired degrees. I would use something like a linear actuator, but don't know if they can be mounted horizontally to produce vertical movement.
Thanks

Honestly, it is overwhelming. I just replied back to Dacian as he is also trying to help me understand. If I understood him right, I only needed one DSSR20 for the cable coming from the panels.

Thanks for all of the detail which is about to cause my brain to explode, between you and Dacian :)

So far, there are only 2 givens. The 8 cells on order and the existing 8ga cable that goes from the roof to the hitch batteries, passing under the area I intend to do the install (under bed compartment). I was hoping to configure the system as inexpensively as possible, trying to avoid Victron where I seem to be steered.

BTW, in 2012 I moved to NM from MN where I had lived since 1969 so I know your weather, mild in comparison to MN :) Before this project, I had done research for solar on my house so I had learned about the sun angles and seasons.

I would like to find some kind of servo motor that can turn 90 degrees, allowing me to move the rack from flat to vertical. I have researched various motors and gearing and haven't found one yet. There ought to be a way to turn a dial to the desired degrees. I would use something like a linear actuator, but don't know if they can be mounted horizontally to produce vertical movement.
Thanks
it could be that one DSSR20 can work with all your panels (6 100 watt panels). Dacian is an expert engineer. I run 2 250 watt panels on each DSSR20. which is exactly why it is good to consult with Dacian the engineer and vendor of the Electrodacus SBMS0 and Electrodacus DSSR20's
he is really quite helpful.
I found by studying the online manuals I answered a lot of my own questions.
good luck.
I went snowmobiling in bermigi Minnesota years ago. and lived in Estherville, Iowa for a couple of years and traveled into Minnesota many times.
today I hooked up the second set of 2 (250-watt panels) on the south array. I now have 2 DSSR20's on the south-facing array. 1000 watt of solar panels were putting out 819.9 watts at 30.194 amps with 16.066 amps going into the battery and 14.128 amps going to run the dc lights and the other things running on a 24-volt inverter in my off-grid solar power shed.
I am a DIY with 40 years of remodeling experience among other things.
as they say" jack of all trades, master of none..... but I am more particular and slower as I age. :cool:
yes, it is mind-boggling but it is doable one small step at a time.
perhaps just a hinged array to adjust the angle. keep it simple. automated would be cool but likely more expensive.
i worked in new Mexico for 2 years about 11 years ago. seen a lot of new Mexico --- nice weather one xmas was snowed in there as the interested has deep snow blizzard condition. but normally dry. that was Moriarity for xmas.

Attachments

• 20210112_122237.jpg
    20210112_122237.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I received notice on Sunday 1/10/2021 that FedEx now has my 32 Lishen 272Ah cells in their possession for delivery. they arrived in long beach California on 12/22/2020.
my FedEx tracking says my 32 cells will be delivered on Thursday January 14th, 2021by the end of the day.

My container's probably at the back of the lot...buried

it could be that one DSSR20 can work with all your panels (6 100 watt panels). Dacian is an expert engineer. I run 2 250 watt panels on each DSSR20. which is exactly why it is good to consult with Dacian the engineer and vendor of the Electrodacus SBMS0 and Electrodacus DSSR20's
he is really quite helpful.
I found by studying the online manuals I answered a lot of my own questions.
good luck.
I went snowmobiling in bermigi Minnesota years ago. and lived in Estherville, Iowa for a couple of years and traveled into Minnesota many times.
today I hooked up the second set of 2 (250-watt panels) on the south array. I now have 2 DSSR20's on the south-facing array. 1000 watt of solar panels were putting out 819.9 watts at 30.194 amps with 16.066 amps going into the battery and 14.128 amps going to run the dc lights and the other things running on a 24-volt inverter in my off-grid solar power shed.
I am a DIY with 40 years of remodeling experience among other things.
as they say" jack of all trades, master of none..... but I am more particular and slower as I age. :cool:
yes, it is mind-boggling but it is doable one small step at a time.
perhaps just a hinged array to adjust the angle. keep it simple. automated would be cool but likely more expensive.
i worked in new Mexico for 2 years about 11 years ago. seen a lot of new Mexico --- nice weather one xmas was snowed in there as the interested has deep snow blizzard condition. but normally dry. that was Moriarity for xmas.
To be honest, I have spent way too many hours watching too many YouTubes, reading reviews, etc. I just filed my 2017 tax return if that puts things into perspective. Had it been fairly easy for a regular geek to figure out, I would be done, but despite many years of electronics building, computer building and networking, and all kinds of DIY between, it is just confusing. If everyone said the same things, I would be done, but the more I research, the more I find out, the less I know and I get more confused. No one has come up with the same configuration as someone else. Out of four or five configurations I am looking at, none of them share components other than two have a Multiplus. I was hoping to keep my budget south of Victron range.
The Alberta Clipper crosses Canada where no one lives but a few ranchers and scared sheep. The current dips through the eastern Dakotas and MN, hangs a U-turn, and heads back north, then east. That means there are more cold Minnesotans than Canadians, and for point of reference, the population hub of Canada is Toronto and that is south of Minneapolis.

Ultimately I should hire someone to config it and be done :)

Got all 68 Lishen cells Jan 18, after 55 days. Boxes were undamaged except for one that had a hole punched in the top but didn't penetrate the foam. They look good. No bubbling on the sides. Looks like Basen did good. We'll see after I get them tested.

I just ordered 32 Lishen 280ah 3.2V cells with busbars and bolts for $2903.19 includes shipping, taxes, import duties etc thru Alibaba.com to be shipped to South Dakota, They were $2820.00 for 32 but there was a $83.19 transaction fee so the total cost was $2903.19 for an average delivered to my door of ..... $90.7246875 dollars per cell (round it off where you want) :unsure: I charged them to my credit card so I will get 1.5% back and safer also. Now hurry and wait for the slow boat ride, and wait and wait and wait!!!!

View attachment 27875View attachment 27875
I received the 32 cells on Sunday, January 17th 2021. I ordered them on November 18th, 2020 they arrived in long beach California port on December 22nd, 2020, then long wait unloading and clearing customs likely due to the 2 federal holidays via FedEx. all cells had 4 bus bars, bolts, and washers with 4 cells per box, boxes had reinforced corners and thick foam on all sides and in between cells. all cells 3.29 volts on arrival. have no problems. all terminal tops looked good, no scratches, qr codes new, and all intact. the vendor did ship tracking and sent FedEx labels shortly after the order was made and replied in good English.

My 16 cells from Shenzhen Shouhuzhe took about two months.
The box with the busbars was smaller than the rest and had little padding.
One cell was dented near a lower corner; using a compression fixture isn't easily done.
I'll try to get some kind of reimbursement.

The cells are of poorer quality than those I have purchased from either Shenzhen Basen or Xuba.
The plastic sheeting was poorly applied, with bubbles and uneven edges.

A capacity test yielded 265Ah (10 AWG cables 16" long).
A second test yielded 279Ah (6 AWG cables 6" long).
(Edit: The capacity tester cutoff was set to 2.5 volts)

I don't care so much about looks, mostly just an acceptable capacity test.
So, if I am reimbursed to some degree for the damaged cell, I will likely use this vendor again.

Last edited:
Back