diy solar

diy solar

Just received OverkillSolar BMS - looks different

OnTheRoadAgain

Solar Enthusiast
I have two OverkillSolar BMSs in my possession. Both cost me about $150 total.

This one I ordered and received about 2 months ago.......This is the one everyone seems to be getting. It indeed looked brand new on arrival.
OverKillSolar_BMS_6_20210517_124352.jpg

And one I received this week.....I do not see this one anywhere else (Google Search). And it appears to be a refurbished unit.
OverKillSolar_BMS_7_20210517_124352.jpg

My next step will be to contact Steve, but as he has posted, customer support is very hard to come by right now.
So I wanted to ask here before bothering Steve.

Anyone know the difference?
The one I just received "appears" to be refurbished. The first one I received was spotless and the copper bright and clean...."New" I would bet this refurb works fine, but I still have a few concerns.

My concern is that is it an older model? I cannot find one that looks like this? If so, what updates would be lacking? Is this a "newer" one ?
I've heard there have been hardware improvements on the latest version and these might not be included with this one?
I am not sure, and why I'm asking

The other is a safety concern.
The task asked of these is critical. A failure could be life threatening. Would you be ok with a refurbished unit if you paid full price for a new unit
when so much hinges on it's perfect operation?
I'm wondering if Steve is trying hard to take care of his customers in any way he can and in some cases he is having to use any and every resource to meet demand.
That is to be commended. However, the website said there would be at least a 30 day delay and so I was fully prepared for that. I got this is 4 days.

I trust Overkillsolar and I think Steve is a steller guy and does a great job.
I just want to be sure that I keep my family and myself safe by having the latest version of BMS possible.

Opinions?

I can only see the solder pads different? I know he changes the leads on them, maybe that's why the copper looks different?

Circuit board designs change. I don't see a problem. Does it work? If so, run with it.

This will probably "work"......would you use it in your home? Just sayin.
It's different than anything I've seen and looks refurbed. . Just checking.
St3eve is swamped. He posted as such. That's why I'm asking here.

screenshot_20200606-201035_gallery-jpg.14831

Family safety comes first. Not willing to roll the dice with the ones I love.

That's the extra fluffy pillow version.

If you're not going to try testing the BMS I don't see how you can justify your position. Steve has an excellent reputation for quality and sells enough product that he doesn't have to recycle returned units. You're tilting at windmills.

It's really the users responsibility to test the BMS whether it's used, a refurb, new old stock or brand new. It doesn't matter what the brand is.

As far as I know the BMS I received from Steve is brand new. And the first thing I did when I connected it to the cells was to test the LVD and HVD. I have since tested other parameters and it performs flawlessly.

It's really the users responsibility to test the BMS whether it's used, a refurb, new old stock or brand new. It doesn't matter what the brand is.

As far as I know the BMS I received from Steve is brand new. And the first thing I did when I connected it to the cells was to test the LVD and HVD. I have since tested other parameters and it performs flawlessly.

Thanks
The one I just received appears to be a refurbished unit and unlike all others I have seen. Not even sure what it is but it looks like a JDB / Xiaoxiang unit.. I do have a brand new one I got from him last month. It's flawless.

The fact that it is unlike any other I have seen (I googled quite a bit)

There is another thread going right now where the member had a fire with an Overkill Solar BMS.
It seems it was not the BMS fault in this case., but it's best to make your own decisions on your families safety.
In spite of being told by other you are wasting your time.

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/need-help-48-volt-caught-fire.22823/#post-269144
I am using a overkill BMS for 48volt not sure why it didn’t cut off

Last edited:
That's the extra fluffy pillow version.

If you're not going to try testing the BMS I don't see how you can justify your position. Steve has an excellent reputation for quality and sells enough product that he doesn't have to recycle returned units. You're tilting at windmills.

Have you inspected the BMS in question in person up close?
There may be reasons I can justify it that you are not aware of.
Perhaps I don't post every detail

I think you make a lot of assumptions.

Have you inspected the BMS in question in person up close?
There may be reasons I can justify it that you are not aware of.
Perhaps I don't post every detail

I think you make a lot of assumptions.

If you don't provide all the details, how are we supposed to provide an informed response? If you don't provide all the details, then you're just fear mongering with your speculation that a respected vendor is selling refurbished units as brand new.

Except of the lack of inventory, forum members have had exceptional results from the BMS units provided by Overkill Solar.

There is another thread going right now where the member had a fire with an Overkill Solar BMS.
It seems it was not the BMS fault in this case., but it's best to make your own decisions on your families safety.
In spite of being told by other you are wasting your time.
There is no evidence whatsoever to blame the BMS, but you were quick to point to it based on what?

7TZ is wondering why the OCP didn't work and I posted maybe there was not enough current run through the BMS for the OCP to kick in. There is something else happening that caused his mishap. Unfortunately user error happens.

One could always buy an Orion BMS but there is no guarantee it won't fail. There is no guarantee one won't get struck by lightning. IMO the Overkill is an excellent BMS and I don't know of any that have failed once put into service. I understand concerns but there is a difference between expressing concerns and fear mongering. And when it gets to the point one is so nervous they start fear mongering, perhaps one should not delve into DIY. This is not directed at you, I am making a general statement and it's my opinion. Of course one can't be too careful with these cells.

Test the BMS you think might be a refurb. If it passes then use it. I would. :)

There isn't anything in the photo to indicate to me it is refurbished. What concerns you or makes you think it is refurbished? Wires are changed based on what you order. You can check the mfg date, number of cycles, and software version in the android app. That might indicate if it is an older version than your previous, or a newer.

Geez...the cult of "do not question what we tell you not to question"
Gets old folks.

He had a fire..and was using an OverkillSolarBMS. Disprove that. I never said "it caused the fire"

Do you people even read the posts before you dig in?

What you're doing is discouraging people to come forward with their issues.
It's why there are a million lurkers and a few active.

HELP people with their issues....don't witch hunt.

Last edited:
There isn't anything in the photo to indicate to me it is refurbished. What concerns you or makes you think it is refurbished? Wires are changed based on what you order. You can check the mfg date, number of cycles, and software version in the android app. That might indicate if it is an older version than your previous, or a newer.

The photos are not that good. They do not reveal what is evident in person.
Clearly, it is significantly different than the other I got that was clearly new.

But that wasn't even my main point...it was that it was unknown. No one has been able to identify it from the photos.
I would like to know exactly what I buy. Does that make me a villain? Oh well.

This is all moot.
It's going back.
My money....my family....my choice.
It had NOTHING to do with Steves integrity or products. They're still great.

And no....this is not blaming Steve. I've praised him and his products to no end here. Search it.
He was probably short on inventory and just doing his best to fill the order.
I will pay return freight.

Issue resolved. Case closed. Thank you.
This "should" end this thread...but some probably want to do some more bashing first. :rolleyes:
It's so sad, you ask for help, and some people just want to go on the attack and try to demonize you.

Last edited:
Geez...the cult of "do not question what we tell you not to question"
Gets old folks.
The point is there is nothing to question. It's a typical BMS and if it passes user testing, then what more is there to say? Don't these BMS's come pretested? It's been my understanding the 12 volt ones do.

He had a fire..and was using an OverkillSolarBMS. Disprove that. I never said "it caused the fire"
No you didn't. And it didn't. It was the converter wiring that caused the fire and/ or a bad connection on the battery. Look at the battery. My common sense is telling me with that kind of damage to the cell, the BMS would be just as toasty if the BMS had anything to do with the fire.

Do you people even read the posts before you dig in?

What you're doing is discouraging people to come forward with their issues.
It's why there are a million lurkers and a few active.
Speaking for myself I read every word...and I know others do as well. No one is discouraging anything. You had valid questions and received valid responses. It is revealing you are the only one that has a problem with that.

The photos are not that good. They do not reveal what is evident in person.
Clearly, it is significantly different than the other I got that was clearly new.
You have yet to post the differences. What are they? Why do you think the new BMS vs the old isn't as good. If it's bugging you so much then post photos and explain.

But that wasn't even my main point...it was that it was unknown. No one has been able to identify it from the photos.
I would like to know exactly what I buy. Does that make me a villain? Oh well.
You have bought a typical BMS. Backed by Steve. It's really that simple. If you need to know exactly what you bought then ask Steve if he can get his hands on the schematic diagram because that's the only way you are going to know exactly what you bought.

This is all moot.
It's going back.
My money....my family....my choice.
So let me get this straight. You are returning what could be an improved version over the older one because you think the newer one is inferior in some way to the older one? And just what do you plan to replace it with?

I am going to be completely serious. If you have any evidence the newer BMS is inferior in any way to the older one, then post photos of the areas you are concerned with, or at least point them out, and explain why you are so down on the newer version. Are there any glaring differences that would cause you to think the newer one isn't just as good if not better? I think it would be good of you to share.

And no....this is not blaming Steve. I've praised him and his products to no end here. Search it.
Well in a way you are blaming him. Do you think he would send out an inferior product? I seriously doubt it. And I would be much more comfortable receiving an "unknown" from him than the unknowns from buying from another supplier.

Last edited:
...Not even sure what it is but it looks like a JDB / Xiaoxiang unit...
I'm pretty sure that Overkills are a slightly (or not at all, in some cases) modified JBD with a warranty. I purchase my JBD's directly from China, and have gotten a few slightly differing ones. I have some that look like both of those, and they all work great. JBD's are great units, used in medical backups, and the quality is reflected in Overkills as well.

It's possible that it is just a newer, or older (but still meets spec and functions) unit. Test it out (as you should be doing to ALL of your components), if all the functions work, I don't see an issue.

Also, I would be interested to know why, specifically, that you think it's a refurbished unit. It's a somewhat serious accusation to say that @OverkillSolar is shipping out refurbished units as new. You owe an explanation, and better photos, to everyone on the thread.

i don’t have a horse in this race i just wanna know all the different versions of the JBD BMS to add to a wiki page ? then community members could just look up the version maybe.

usually a version number is printed on the PCB somewhere. might be obscured by the heat spreader.

i don’t shame anyone for having a healthy fear of electrical fires! angry pixies are serious. that other thread with the converter seemed to be strongly indicating the converter wiring as culprit (in my amateur humble interpretation); a diagram highlighting an error in the manufacturer supplied manual got posted somewhere. i hope they are well, seeing the insulation burned off that cable definitely is bad feels. safety design yay.

i noticed that the PCB has more apparent connection surface area to the conductors.
old has two side A two side B.
new has three side A three side B.
my gut says the new one could handle more current.
my 0.02, peace and respect ☮️☀️

edit: in any case for what it’s worth doing a heatgun test or something high amps and watch temperature of bms at least once, is a step that helps me personally. touching the heat spreader after a 10 minute 80A draw would set my mind at ease if it was cool to the touch.

Last edited:
the only thing I can see is a different PCB with plating for the middle conductor. I looks like a revision change to me

There is no evidence whatsoever to blame the BMS, but you were quick to point to it based on what?

7TZ is wondering why the OCP didn't work and I posted maybe there was not enough current run through the BMS for the OCP to kick in. There is something else happening that caused his mishap. Unfortunately user error happens.

One could always buy an Orion BMS but there is no guarantee it won't fail. There is no guarantee one won't get struck by lightning. IMO the Overkill is an excellent BMS and I don't know of any that have failed once put into service. I understand concerns but there is a difference between expressing concerns and fear mongering. And when it gets to the point one is so nervous they start fear mongering, perhaps one should not delve into DIY. This is not directed at you, I am making a general statement and it's my opinion. Of course one can't be too careful with these cells.

Test the BMS you think might be a refurb. If it passes then use it. I would. :)
Just for reference , i received a DOA Overkill BMS and for a "stellar guy" he has not responded to a request for customer services in over a month.

Just for reference , i received a DOA Overkill BMS and for a "stellar guy" he has not responded to a request for customer services in over a month.
I see someone posted his new email address in another thread. But I agree, he should have responded to you on reddit. Please try the new email address and let us know if you get results.

Back