diy solar

diy solar

Just starting with battery camping... 120V charger for LiFePo4

shorembo

I have been camping with a tent popup for 3 years (8 long weekends a year) and am just starting to look into off-grid. My first objective is to have enough power for a long weekend. In a few years (retirement) I am thinking about much longer trips.

So to get a long weekend (with usage of a few 12V fans, usb plugs, and a laptop recharger), I just want to replace the bad deep cycle battery I have now. I decided to go with LiFePO4 100AH with a small footprint to fit the current housing.

#1 - For now, I need a 120V home recharger and am not sure what to get. Any recommendations on what specifically to look for? Amazon comments and reviews seem to leave me confused. ("Don't buy this product it broke my battery", etc.)

#2 - Also, is there a reasonable bluetooth/remote capacity monitor? I have a digital multi-meter and it looks like I can compare the voltage to a chart in a pinch. If there is something where I don't have to go outside and inspect the battery that would be worth looking into.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
If you got a bluetooth SCC like a Victron 75/15 and a solar panel you could charge at home with the sun, charge while camping and monitor with a bluetooth phone (win, win, win).

I have been camping with a tent popup for 3 years (8 long weekends a year) and am just starting to look into off-grid. My first objective is to have enough power for a long weekend. In a few years (retirement) I am thinking about much longer trips.

So to get a long weekend (with usage of a few 12V fans, usb plugs, and a laptop recharger), I just want to replace the bad deep cycle battery I have now. I decided to go with LiFePO4 100AH with a small footprint to fit the current housing.

#1 - For now, I need a 120V home recharger and am not sure what to get. Any recommendations on what specifically to look for? Amazon comments and reviews seem to leave me confused. ("Don't buy this product it broke my battery", etc.)

#2 - Also, is there a reasonable bluetooth/remote capacity monitor? I have a digital multi-meter and it looks like I can compare the voltage to a chart in a pinch. If there is something where I don't have to go outside and inspect the battery that would be worth looking into.

Thanks for any help!

I like the Victron IP22 chargers. The 12/30 model would charge at 30A, fully charging your battery in a bit more than 3 hours.

There are many battery monitors. The Victron Smart Shunt has Bluetooth, you can find them open box on eBay for about $100. No screen just an app. They make a screen version, but over $200 and if you want Bluetooth you need a dongle for more $$.

Renogy and Junctek are budget models, with screens and Bluetooth app.

You might look at 18650 battery site for the 100ah batteries. I bought 2 separate orders of 4-100ah batteries with a battery box and BMS.
The are located in Ga and are super nice to deal with. You will have better luck calling than emailing them. They even gave me a military discount
that is not offered on the web site. Shipping cost for lithium batteries is kind of high so ask about it when calling.
I built a portable solar box with all the components you are wanting, even run my C-pap machine when camping.
Good luck with your build.

I like the Victron IP22 chargers. The 12/30 model would charge at 30A, fully charging your battery in a bit more than 3 hours.

There are many battery monitors. The Victron Smart Shunt has Bluetooth, you can find them open box on eBay for about $100. No screen just an app. They make a screen version, but over $200 and if you want Bluetooth you need a dongle for more $$.

Renogy and Junctek are budget models, with screens and Bluetooth app.
Thanks for the response. I have a question on the recharging.

I see the chargers are Amp rated. Can I assume that is the max charging rate and the hours can be calculated by taking the battery size (100aH) and dividing this my the charging rate?

And second, is there an issue with fast charging versus slow charging a LiFePO4? I will only be using it a few times a year and want to make sure I don't mess up.

hours can be calculated by taking the battery size (100aH) and dividing this my the charging rate?
Yes, with the correct units, the math and results are easy:

100Ah / 30A = 3.33h

And second, is there an issue with fast charging versus slow charging a LiFePO4? I
Slow(er) charging puts a more even charge on the cells and gives any balancing functionality more time to work.

Bought this and a 100Ah battery from them for a trolling motor.

Works great.

Back