diy solar

diy solar

Keel up 12/24/48V new system questions

riadamson

I know absolutely nothing about the angry pixies in batteries and the wiring that gets them to and from panels to equipment used. That being said, I have questions about installing a new electrical system for my 41’ sailboat. Here are basic thoughts and I would like as much constructive criticism and suggestions (aside from - get a professional) as possible.
3 Battery Banks: 12V AGM starter battery (BCI - 94R 800Ah), 48V LiFePo4 House (400+Ah), 24V LiFePo4 Windlass (400+Ah).
4- 24V Solar Panels @430W each + Victron MPPT controllers
1- 180A Balmar Alternator w/remote regulator
Victron Quattro Inv/Chg
Victron Isolation transformer
DC-DC converters

There will be watermaker, A/C- heater, induction cooktop, electric toilets on board, radar, basic electrical/nav. equipment on board as well.

That's quite a few voltages to deal with.
My system is similar on my 46ft
24v Lifepo4 pack 915Ah
5000/24 Quattro
3x 550w panels with 100/20 mppt controllers for each.
DC-DC to AGM 12v pack
Cerbo GX
OrionBMS JR2 with Canbus to the Cerbo

Coming soon:
WS500 Regulator (also canbus to the Cerbo)
24v Alternator (on my beta 50) instead of the old 60a 12v.

With the Alternator change, I'm looking at adding 2 or 3 new lifepo4 12v packs:
Fore: Windlass (and maybe future bow thruster), forward head toilet
Mid: Engine
Aft: Electric Winches, Aft head toilet

Today I'm using a 30A DC-DC to charge the AGM pack, I figure I'd add individual DC-DCs per 12v pack and run a 24v feed to each of them to minimize the 12v voltage drops.

I also use a 70A DC-DC to power all my onboard systems. I'm thinking of removing it and migrating everything to a house 12v lifepo4 pack. So perhaps I'm up to 4 small LifePO4 packs? :D

Here's my list of junk on Madeye:

I know absolutely nothing about the angry pixies in batteries and the wiring that gets them to and from panels to equipment used. That being said, I have questions about installing a new electrical system for my 41’ sailboat. Here are basic thoughts and I would like as much constructive criticism and suggestions (aside from - get a professional) as possible.
3 Battery Banks: 12V AGM starter battery (BCI - 94R 800Ah), 48V LiFePo4 House (400+Ah), 24V LiFePo4 Windlass (400+Ah).
4- 24V Solar Panels @430W each + Victron MPPT controllers
1- 180A Balmar Alternator w/remote regulator
Victron Quattro Inv/Chg
Victron Isolation transformer
DC-DC converters

There will be watermaker, A/C- heater, induction cooktop, electric toilets on board, radar, basic electrical/nav. equipment on board as well.
I would seriously consider dropping to 24V for both your main house bank and the windlass, and going to two banks. It's also easier to charge the house bank off of your alternator (24V alternators are more common than 48V units).

Also, do you really need that big of a starter battery? A group 24 marine start battery should be more than enough to start a 4 cylinder engine, and there's no need for it to be deep cycle as the only load it's going to see is the starter motor briefly when you start (and maybe your engine electrics). Maintain that battery with a Victron Orion 24/12-20 DC/DC charger and it will spend its entire life fully charged.

If you're building this from the ground up, I can highly recommend doing this as an integrated system within the Victron Ecosystem. The CerboGX is a great way to keep an eye on everything. If you're going to DIY your own battery, the TAO BMS or REC BMSs are both great choices, and will connect via CAN BUS.

Similarly, the Wakespeed WS500 will also integrate avoiding all the issues with random alternator dumps causing damage to the rectifiers. As my battery approaches full, the regulator tapers down the field to meet the current requirements dictated by the BMS. Once the battery hits 100% SoC, the regulator then manipulates the field current to keep the current into the battery at 0, thus just powering my system loads.

My own boat is only 27', and for me it was easiest to just stick with a 12V system. This is the thread I created showing off my setup. We've been using it for two months now, and it's been excellent.

Back