diy solar

diy solar

Keeping 24v vs. 12v vs. 5v USB straight

JRUD

Building a 24v system so I want to maximize 24v devices and minimize 12v/110v ones. Shopping. I'm seeing sockets (cigarette lighters) that say they are compatible with 12v/24v and have 24v USB ports. QUESTION: Can I SAFELY plug normal (i.e.12v) devices into the socket and 5v (phones) into the USB port ???

The USB section of it looks like it can take an input of 12-24 and regulate it to 5v for USB. However, the cigarette lighter portion of it is straight passthrough (I own one of these so I know it's a raw connection), so if you connect 24v to it it will just pass through 24v to the cigarette lighter receptacle. Unless you bought a 24v to 12v buck converter, you could then wire that in behind the panel and easily reduce it down to 12v.

Last edited:
I agree with Sam there but I'd just add that I recommend getting one that exceeds your current requirements just for the sake of longevity. By at least double.

They never seem to put adequate wires on these things.

At any rate I have a similar one in my camper and I've no issues with it at all. Hooked it up and forgot about it.

The USB section of it looks like it can take an input of 12-24 and regulate it to 5v for USB. However, the cigarette lighter portion of it is straight passthrough (I own one of these so I know it's a raw connection), so if you connect 24v to it it will just pass through 24v to the cigarette lighter receptacle. Unless you bought a 24v to 12v buck converter, you could then wire that in behind the panel and easily reduce it down to 12v.

Thanx. I do have a Buck converter for most DC stuff. but it only delivers 40A. This is America man. I want MORE!. But seriously, I also saw somewhere else that there is the pass-thru feature you mentioned. Scary that a socket could look like a 12v one but really be delivering 24. With my luck a guest would fry their Dometic fridge in it. Think I will keep it safe and run everything thru a 24/12 converter except maybe lights.

If you need more than 40a say, you can just have more buck converters, and split them up into circuits. That's the reason I was implying in the last post that you could mount a buck converter of suitable amperage behind that one panel, so it would just take care of that circuit and be enough for it.

Back