diy solar

diy solar

Keeping batteries on charger all the time.

Sunny Boy

I bought the Harbor Freight set of 4 25 watt panels this past winter and used them to run a maple sap vacuum pump. They worked well and did the job. I ran the pump off a small deep cycle battery and kept the charger on the battery all the time. during sap flow.

I am wondering about the off season. Is it OK to keep the charger on the battery all the time over the summer, so that it stays topped of, or would that be bad for the battery? Should I only charge it with the solar charger every few weeks and then disconnect it?

I bought the Harbor Freight set of 4 25 watt panels this past winter and used them to run a maple sap vacuum pump. They worked well and did the job. I ran the pump off a small deep cycle battery and kept the charger on the battery all the time. during sap flow.

I am wondering about the off season. Is it OK to keep the charger on the battery all the time over the summer, so that it stays topped of, or would that be bad for the battery? Should I only charge it with the solar charger every few weeks and then disconnect it?
I assume you are using a lead acid battery?

This is not particularly recommended. Because you can't be sure that your battery charger won't betray you. In case your charger has some problems, then you will be faced with overcharging.

Reactions: Zil
I really recommend storing IAW manufacturer user manual. This is what my Trojan’s say
5C2B8711-9A5B-408A-B3AC-CFB08BD8ADF2.png
After reading that, I decided to power off and disconnect and charge every four weeks.

It would be better to charge them every week or few weeks or monthly. Battery chargers will overcharge if given a chance. The exception is charge maintainers that just output very very low amperes. I still don't trust them out of sight.

Back