diy solar

diy solar

Keeping battery warm enough to charge

stephenoachs

I am installing a solar-powered gate for year-round use. The gate is far from an AC power source, thus the need for solar.

Question is -- how do I keep the battery warm enough to take a solar charge during temperatures below freezing?

I am installing a solar-powered gate for year-round use. The gate is far from an AC power source, thus the need for solar.

Question is -- how do I keep the battery warm enough to take a solar charge during temperatures below freezing?
Dig a deep hole below the frost line...

Leverage the natural heat generated from biomass decay from the leaves that fall from trees every fall.

50% charge will keep your SLA battery fine down to 5 degrees farenheit.

Finally found something online saying that biomass can be used to heat...

https://www.backwoodshome.com/build-a-heated-germination-bed/

The second method is the “old-fashioned way.” As you might already know, decomposing plant material can create a good amount of heat. This is especially true if the plant material has been processed through some type of livestock first! To utilize the benefits of this decomposition, remove enough soil from your planting bed so that you can replace it with about a foot of fresh livestock manure. As the manure decomposes, it will create steady even heat for your sprouting seeds.

In Michigan we dig a hole 3 ft deep to be below the frost line when installing fence posts. If you're in a colder area, like Alaska, you might need to dig deeper. This is why I make a mark on my shovel handle 3 ft from the tip of the shovel point. YMMV.

Tip: I spray painted my new treated wood mailbox post with Plastidip so we'll see how it goes. I think I gave it 3 coats to make sure it's sealed. Even though in my yard it's all loam, and has excellent drainage, treated wood doesn't last forever.

An insulated battery box and an oversized battery is how we usually do it. Lead acid of course.

Or horse manure, unbelievable just how hot the inside of a big pile gets even in extreme cold.

Seriously. Your suggestion is for him to pile horse s**t on his battery? I'm sure he would love to smell the decomposing manure evert time he goes through the gate.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: That's straight up stupid.

Seriously. Your suggestion is for him to pile horse s**t on his battery? I'm sure he would love to smell the decomposing manure evert time he goes through the gate.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: That's straight up stupid.
I think you mean "that's horse s**t".

You would obviously seal it in a plastic bag. No need to sniff your battery.

Anybody with even a little bit of imagination could come up with something more than piling manure on it. I was thinking of something like a IBC tote and a thermosyphon loop. But hey, if piling shit is the best you can come up with go with it.

Anybody with even a little bit of imagination could come up with something more than piling manure on it. I was thinking of something like a IBC tote and a thermosyphon loop. But hey, if piling shit is the best you can come up with go with it.
It's become a green thing thing to convert poop to energy because it is so dense, available, and you are killing two birds with one stone. E.g., The Gates Foundation came up with a way to convert crap from port-a-potties to cooking fuel. In a third world country, you are lucky to be able to enjoy shitty bacon in the morning.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=turn+shit+into+fuel&ia=web

Never underestimate the power in a pile. One man's stupid is another man's rescue.

1579095932581.png

Last edited:
Back