diy solar

diy solar

Kenya here ...hello (habari)☺

Nesh

Noob from Kenya. Just installed a 1.3kw (4x 330w jinko panels wired for 42v) solar array, 2kw/60A/24v/mppt all in one Chinese inverter(xindun LS2024) and 4x 12V 200AHAGM Lead wired 24v. 8ft from panels to inverter.

Seem to have an issue with the charge control. At around midday (full sun no clouds) it seems to give a high voltage (41v) with no amps for a few mins and then return to a slightly lower voltage (33) with decent amps (32). Is this normal? Might it be a wiring or controller issue or something else?

Can you post the specs for your Jinko panels (the label on the back) and also a link to the manual for your inverter? Some charge controllers have a dead zone of voltage levels between their operating range and maximum range, that might be what you are seeing.

Can you post the specs for your Jinko panels (the label on the back) and also a link to the manual for your inverter? Some charge controllers have a dead zone of voltage levels between their operating range and maximum range, that might be what you are seeing.
Here is the solar panel data sheet. Here is the solar hybrid inverter manual. Also noticed the panels are in parallel wired for 37v not 42v as earlier stated.

1590468004008.png
1590468103637.png

The Voc of your panels is 46.9v but under load they will be below that. At peak output your panels can supply more current than your inverter can push into the 24 battery. That will allow the panel voltage to float up, perhaps beyond 44v, and that would explain the temporary charger shutdown.

I'm making an educated guess here. Your model is LS2024, which based on the other models suggests 20 amps, 24v battery, about 500 watts. You can see this in the specs on page 11 of the manual. Your panels are capable of providing much more power than that, and that lends weight to this possibility.

1590468684117.png

Since it's only for a few minutes it shouldn't be much of a problem. The Voc of the panels doesn't exceed your inverter's maximum input rating so there won't be any damage, it just won't charge during this time. There are circumstances where the panel voltage can exceed 46.9v, very cold weather - under 5c etc - so that might be a concern for you if you are halfway up a mountain.

View attachment 13950
View attachment 13951

The Voc of your panels is 46.9v but under load they will be below that. At peak output your panels can supply more current than your inverter can push into the 24 battery. That will allow the panel voltage to float up, perhaps beyond 44v, and that would explain the temporary charger shutdown.

I'm making an educated guess here. Your model is LS2024, which based on the other models suggests 20 amps, 24v battery, about 500 watts. You can see this in the specs on page 11 of the manual. Your panels are capable of providing much more power than that, and that lends weight to this possibility.

View attachment 13952

Since it's only for a few minutes it shouldn't be much of a problem. The Voc of the panels doesn't exceed your inverter's maximum input rating so there won't be any damage, it just won't charge during this time. There are circumstances where the panel voltage can exceed 46.9v, very cold weather - under 5c etc - so that might be a concern for you if you are halfway up a mountain.
Thanks for the enlightenment. Here is the model spec IMG20200521100154.jpg

60 amps, sorta breaks my line of thought on panels rising up to Voc because the unit couldn't push sufficient current at the battery. There is still the possibility that the batteries are coming up to high enough charge that they can't take the full capabilities of the panels during the middle of the day and that would explain the problem. AGM (lead acid in general) can have a fairly long and lowish tail current as they come up to full charge during absorption stage charging. Check your battery voltage just before it happens and post what you found.

60 amps, sorta breaks my line of thought on panels rising up to Voc because the unit couldn't push sufficient current at the battery. There is still the possibility that the batteries are coming up to high enough charge that they can't take the full capabilities of the panels during the middle of the day and that would explain the problem. AGM (lead acid in general) can have a fairly long and lowish tail current as they come up to full charge during absorption stage charging. Check your battery voltage just before it happens and post what you found.
will do and post, thanks again

There is a small video of what happens. Ive cycled through the battery voltage too.

Attachments

• VID_20200526111325_854x480.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 9
Well that threw out all my theories. The battery voltage doesn't seem to be high enough to show it's in late stage absorption charging so it should be able to soak up the current. PV itself is sitting at no more than 40v so the charger won't be in the dead zone between 44 and 50v either.

Could it be temperature related? Is the charger getting particularly hot?

Your inverter is connected to AC (mains/grid or something else) so maybe it is reacting to some condition there. Grasping at straws now, but could you disconnect the AC input during this time to see if the problem goes away?

If it only does it for a short time I don't think it will end up causing you any problems, but it's an odd on that's for sure.

The temp is usually 25C in morning raises to 35C at noon and peaks around 45C at 4pm if it's a full sunny day. Maybe I cool the room down? I'll try disconnect grido power and seeh what happens.

Managed to nail it down. Seems the Pv wiring wasn't crimped well and began melting. During peak pv generation the inverter would cycle through the safety mode would also make the inverter overheat. Changed the wiring and got a new inverter on warranty. All good now ?

Back