diy solar

diy solar

Kill A Watt Newbie

austin

I'm trying to get a better understanding how much power my Dometic fridge uses (so I know what size solar generator to get.) I have the fridge outside and has been running for the past 26 hours with a usage of .22kwh.

I'm trying to get a number that helps me understand relative to a solar generator, say a 1000wh jackery as an example.

If it's not totally obvious I'm a little lost and having trouble finding info on how to use the kill a watt to calculate how much time you'd have on a given solar generator. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks, Austin

The last button on the right (least on mine, mine is like 12 years old) is the Kwh/hr button. If you toggle it there are two displays "total power used" since it was plugged in and then the other toggle is "total time its been plugged into the wall" So if it says, as an example (just went and looked at mine running a wine fridge) i have these numbers:
4.45kw
150hours
just divide wattage in this case 4450watts by 150 hours, leaving us with 29.66 watts for every hour, the longer it runs the more of an average you get, it obviously takes more when running than when idle. The longer the data set (hours) the more accurate your "consumption per hour" will be.

Ah, so helpful thanks for that. So if I'm tracking correctly, using kill a watt numbers....
.39kwh
45hours
390watts divided by 45 = 8.7 which then works out to 208watts/day
So, roughly speaking (I know there are a lot of variables in the final number) this would give me 4-5 days using a 1000wh Jackery in similar conditions?

Back