diy solar

diy solar

Kinda understand the concept, but a dummie

Cman57

Sorry this may be long but I'll try to explain my needs.
First off I'm glad to be here, TY group.
We breed a rare sheep for wool. I built a new barn over 400ft from any power source over a year ago.
I needed to power it for lights (5 LED 30w ea), three fans (70w ea) and occasional operation of shears (250w). I'm ok with wiring of lights, switches, and receptacles, but DIY solar with all the safety's is a bit more for me. That is why I bought a Jackery AIO unit (1500w) and installed six 100w panels on the roof. The Jackery1500 is suppose to have all the limit safety's built in and has two 300w inputs. I have a sets of three 100w panels paralleled going to each input. Now that I'm thinking about it, parallel probably is not a good idea multiplying the amps. From the Jackery I have it so one ac plug is an extension cord with a on/off switch for fans and another plug is wired to a wall switch for lights (see photo).
Anyway, I'm ready to have a small system to power a breaker panel. I want to wire separate outlets and lights throughout the barn and maybe someday have a well put in which will require a 220v/50amp breaker.
What I'm asking is your recommended components/brands and should I go with a 12v or a 24v system.
I can hire someone but don't want to be taken. I'm a pretty good DIY'er with instructions.
Retired job shop machinist and A&P aircraft mechanic.
Thank you

Attachments

• 0612211859a.jpg
    0612211859a.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 5
  • e1500a.jpg
    e1500a.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 5
  • sheep barn.jpg
    sheep barn.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the Forums!

• Jackery AIO unit (1500w)
  • 6x 100w panels on the roof

Now that I'm thinking about it, parallel probably is not a good idea multiplying the amps.
Depends on the MPPT specs, there are some example calculations here.

...I'm ready to have a small system to power a breaker panel.... What I'm asking is your recommended components/brands and should I go with a 12v or a 24v system.
Theoretically, 24V will be better as lower currents mean less expensive wires, but you never know - especially if you're hunting around the used equipment bins.

I don't have any recommendations for gear, as long as it's "listed" by an NRTL (e.g., UL, ETL, CE) it should be fine for what it is rated at.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums!

Depends on the MPPT specs, there are some example calculations here.

Theoretically 24V will be better as lower currents mean less expensive wires, but you never know - especially if you're hunting around the used equipment bins.

I don't have any recommendations for a breaker panel, as long as it's "listed" by an NRTL (e.g., UL, ETL, CE) it should be fine for what it is rated at. They're made to last, I suspect even used would be fine if not physically damaged via removal or rush. Breakers I'd probably buy new.

Hey @Supervstech - I know you don't typically work with EU gear... but how do you feel about buying used panels off eBay in general? Bargain or disaster?
re-reading the specs on the Jackery1500, each dc input has it's own mppt @ 10a/50v so three 100w panels paralleled is multiplying 5.53A to 16.5A's if I'm thinking right. Anyway For now I'm going to put the panels in series.
Doing some more research, I think I might go with a Growatt package going to a 100A breaker box with around 4/6 breaker slots, and the SOK206ah battery. I think I can handle that being my limited electrical knowledge.
Thoughts?

each dc input has it's own mppt @ 10a/50v
so three 100w panels paralleled is multiplying 5.53A to 16.5A's if I'm thinking right. Anyway For now I'm going to put the panels in series.
Thoughts?

Might want to check the voltage specs to make sure.
For a 100 Watt panel at 5.53A, the voltage is probably around 100 / 5.53 ~= 18V, in series three panels would be: 18Vx3=54V ... 54 > 50V.
So, 3 in series might not be good. Does the manual say anything about the panels on the MPPTs needing to be balanced? If not, perhaps 2S1p and 1S1P?

Well pump, go for 24v or 48v battery/inverter system. Some well pumps are very hard to start on an inverter. I have some 1/2HP 230v pumps that are not bad, but one with one of those above the ground relay capacitor starters that is much higher amps on start....need larger inverter for that one. So it depends a lot on the specific pump.

Might want to check the voltage specs to make sure.
For a 100 Watt panel at 5.53A, the voltage is probably around 100 / 5.53 ~= 18V, in series three panels would be: 18Vx3=54V ... 54 > 50V.
So, 3 in series might not be good. Does the manual say anything about the panels on the MPPTs needing to be balanced? If not, perhaps 2S1p and 1S1P?
Yes, you're correct, that is over volts at sun peak isn't it. I guess I should only series two panels to each input on the Jackery1500 to save the unit until I can get a full solar system put together. My plan is to build a small shed just off from the barn to house the batteries and system. Feed an underground cable to a breaker panel in the barn. I have a lot to learn on this solar stuff.
Thank you for your input.

Well pump, go for 24v or 48v battery/inverter system. Some well pumps are very hard to start on an inverter. I have some 1/2HP 230v pumps that are not bad, but one with one of those above the ground relay capacitor starters that is much higher amps on start....need larger inverter for that one. So it depends a lot on the specific pump.
Thank you for your input. I'm not sure what size system I need to accomplish my barn needs but I do have an email out to 'Signature Solar' for more info on their setup with Growatt AIO inverter box. Right now I run 5 LED lights @ 30w each and three fans @ 70w each. That's not 24/7, only all at once on occasion. Usually only a couple hours in the evening. The well will be the largest draw when I have it done.

Back