diy solar

diy solar

Kinda Urgent: I have choice of MPP Solar 3048LV-MK -or- GroWatt 3000-S. Which should I take? Same cost.

Sojourner

So, the supplier says the box for the MPP 3048 arrived somewhat smashed like it had been dropped, but that the unit inside appears undamaged. A fresh one would be another 40day wait.

He offered to send me a GroWatt 3000S instead for no extra charge. Said Will Prowse now considers it "his new favorite" and that there's a video about it. I can't find such a video. Does anyone know anything about this statement?

I'm much more familiar with the MPP just from posts at this forum and YouTube videos. Don't know much about GroWatt. Looking at specs now.

Any advice which unit I should choose or what to do next? Thanks.

Couple difference concerns...

Standby power consumption:
2W Growatt
23W MPPSolar (not 100% sure about that)

Transfer time:
10ms - 20ms Growatt
Zero for MPPsolar

A/C charge current:
40A Growatt
60A MPPSolar

Split Phase capable:
No? Growatt (not 100% sure)
Yes. MPPSolar

Max PV Array power:
4500W Growatt
4000W MPPSolar

Interface capabilities: still researching

What the supplier said in answer to questions...

Similar spec...about 1.4A

Transfer time:
MPP unit spec is faster, but does not make much difference in real life

AC charge current:
40A Growatt
60A MPPSolar (Will's site mentions Growatt is a faster AC charge rate, but for the 3000W unit version, MPP is faster?)

Split Phase capable:
Both units can do split-phase setup with at least two units in parallel

Max PV Array power:
4500W Growatt
4000W MPPSolar

Interface capabilities:
Growatt has the edge, more polished interface. Growatt writes its own software while MPPSolar uses 3rd party software

Noise (fan) level:
Similar

WiFi dongle:
$88 extra option for Growatt unit

This thread is really helpful for this comparison so I thought I would add to it.

Both of the manuals for the Growatt 24V and the MPP2424 say that you should install a 40A breaker on the AC charger.

To me this suggests that they are using the exact same hardware (which we knew) and that Growatt is advertising the lower/safer limits and MPP is advertising the "maximum" even though their own manual says otherwise - which again, makes sense giving their brand.

My question originally received only one reply (from Craig...thx), so I didn't have ample info to go on. Although the two inverters are similar, I chose the Growatt unit, mainly because the wifi/app/monitoring capabilities are more robust. Growatt's product seems more refined, but I don't own the MPP so I'm just going based on general impression.

2w standby consumption.... wow!
Have you verified this with your unit??
I saw this 2W is only for the solar charger not overall unit.. I am too windering what the whole unit takes when idle..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201205-092833.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-092833.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 15
Couple difference concerns...

2W Growatt
23W MPPSolar (not 100% sure about that)
I did some research on this.. the 2W value for Growatt is misleading... that's in standby, so the inverter is off. What's more important for most people is the idle power consumption.. when the unit is on, but no current is being drawn. I found out that both the Growatt and MPPSolar units list idle power consumption as <50W, so it's identical.

I did some research on this.. the 2W value for Growatt is misleading... that's in standby, so the inverter is off. What's more important for most people is the idle power consumption.. when the unit is on, but no current is being drawn. I found out that both the Growatt and MPPSolar units list idle power consumption as <50W, so it's identical.
So, it's like having a regular light bulb on at all times o_O
I can live with that.. for now ;-)

Back