diy solar

diy solar

Kit ?

cj5orion

Wondering what the thoughts are on just getting one of the "kits" for a system,grid tied,(interested in battery backup for nights),installing it myself

Welcome to the forums!

A lot of folks have done that, but without the numbers or understanding what you want to accomplish we can't tell you if it's a good idea or not.

For example, getting an AIO string inverter to handle a half-dozen panels to test the waters with hopes of expanding later ... you'll probably end up wasting some $.

Other than that, with an average insolation of 4 each kW of solar over 20 years (and they'll probably last longer) is 1 x 4 x 365 x 20 = 29,200 kWh, at 10¢ / kWh that's a value of $2,900/kW of array. New you can get panels for ~$0.50/W in the U.S. In Australia, you can get systems professionally installed for under $1/W. In the U.S., that's about the DIY price.

@upnorthandpersonal talks about a system on this thread, a 10kW solar system with 28kWh LiFePO4 battery, inverter, BMS and charge controllers for under $12k U.S. dollars.

You might also want to look at the DIY Checklist.

Best of luck!

OK boys,30 years ago,I put a "outback" system in,,,with lead acid batts,in Baja.
Way before Lithium,golf cart batts,even "marine" batts were new tech!

According to SDGE, I'm using 6kwh/mo.
The "new stuff" that's pretty much "plug n play",has me interested again ?
I've been a Remodel Contractor for 30 years now,so turning a few wrenches is not beyond me.
Compatibility of panels-controller-inverters seems to be the main issue,therefore,the "kits" seem like a "brainless" way to go?

the "kits" seem like a "brainless" way to go?
What kits are you looking at? Have a link?

6kWh / 30 days is 200Wh per day this is the equivalent of a 100W bulb on for 2 hours. A refrig would take several times more than this alone.
What are you hoping to power?

Typo,,, that's 610 kwh/month.
Kits ... Unbound,raceway,solaria,blue pacific,etc,etc

Sidenote;Seems to me,you all over analyze system installs,ie...if you think you need 10 panels,get 15,if you think you need a 6 kw system,get 8,shade factors,sun hours,panel angles,batts-qty and quality and type,
Point being...plan for future use.

Again, I'm interested in your thoughts on all of this,"if ya had to do it all over again...what would you change

When we built the system in Baja,we were adding panels n batts as we thought we needed.
Mixed brands,wattages,batts,etc.(cloudy weather...more panels,batts running out of power...more batts.

Last edited:
A bit more than just extra panels needed. We do agree overpaneling is good.

Thinking is cheap and effective, yields a system that does more. And avoids owning albatrosses.

Surge current to start motor loads is one key thing to consider.
Steady-state current draw is another. Picking which loads to put on battery backup, or priority switch so not all run at once, lets you use a smaller inverter, and have higher utilization of it.
Battery capacity is another key item. What loads to handle overnight, and how to deal with multiple days without sun.

You can build a system for $2000, or $50,000. Obviously sizing it and selecting loads to stay in the $2k to $5k range vs. $10k or so is significant for many.

Back