diy solar

diy solar

KW Labs Super Capacitor

So on eBay it's $2400, or about $800/kWh, still cheaper than I would have guessed. Currently we can get Lithium at about $150/kWh?

If it really lasted 45 years then might be a good option, we need proper reviews and life testing!

I'd be happy to thoroughly test a 48v/500+kWh model!

In the UK good quality lithium is a lot more than $150 per kWh. Also you have to factor in dod of 80% where as these capacitors can be discharged to 100% at 99% efficiency according to the manufacturers. I'd like to see Will review these...

Supercap “based” is the keyword. The vast majority of cells in that unit aren’t supercaps.

Ah, another scam! Thanks for the heads up. However super caps will come of age at some point!

Super caps will never come of age. Their power is stored in the range of 1-14V. 12V systems can use power from 11-14v, rest of the cap is wasted investment and all super caps should have safety fuses - which increases their inductance.

You may be correct, but perhaps rather than expecting supercaps to be drop in replacements for batteries, their advantages may be exploited utilising their storage in a different manner, For example some companies are making hybrid battery/supercap storage systems for commercial vehicles. Boost inverters are already capable of 98% efficiency and this may improve, to allow more of the capacitor charge to be exploited.

Yup. They are tempting, but the cons outweigh the pros for our storage application.

A big con is the high self-discharge rate. Sees specialized use for regenerative-braking in EV's sometimes as an example of where that can be tolerated.

Keep the supercaps for your mobile stereo shootouts. Or specialized uses like regenerative-braking. For general storage? Just a way to $$ bling your storage bank for no major gain.

Back