diy solar

diy solar

Large battery box material

Scraggs

Hi all
I have to make a battery box for my 24 x 2v 930ah cells, due to the size of these cells I didn't really want to use a sealed steel unit as dropping these big things in and out on my own would be nigh on impossible and dangerous.
I know these need to be packed tightly to stop the cases deforming, my idea was to make it from wood that is painted inside and then when they were all in I could close the end up and put the packing in to squeeze them in.
I know wood isn't the best thing to make them from, but was interested to see what others have done.
Also has anyone just put them on a pallet and used ratchet straps to keep them tight together, I have heard it is a way to do it but not so sure.
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Thick plywood for the walls, hinges on the front & top for easier access. Foam board on the inside provides insulation from low temps and any moisture that might try to seep from the plywood. A couple cotton baggies of dessicant to keep the humidity down.

You can put the 2x4's on the outside to keep the battery space more square so you don't have to do weird corners and lose space inside if you want.

I've heard of people ratchet strapping but I'd be terrified of the metal buckle wearing into/through a cell.

Thick plywood for the walls, hinges on the front & top for easier access. Foam board on the inside provides insulation from low temps and any moisture that might try to seep from the plywood. A couple cotton baggies of dessicant to keep the humidity down.

You can put the 2x4's on the outside to keep the battery space more square so you don't have to do weird corners and lose space inside if you want.

I've heard of people ratchet strapping but I'd be terrified of the metal buckle wearing into/through a cell.
Thanks for the reply
I ended up ratchet strapping them together but made up boards to spread the load as in the photo, the buckles are away from the casings, all in all I am quite happy with it.
The desiccant is a good idea.

Attachments

• 20211123_195812.jpg
    20211123_195812.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211123_205453.jpg
    20211123_205453.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 17
Back