diy solar

diy solar

large boat

SeaRay

I have watched beginner videos and understand most of it.

I would like to add solar to a 40 ft boat for the house batteries and reduce use of the generator when not a dock w shore power.

currently using 4 6v golf cart batteries wired to make 2 12v house bank. current system has a 2500w sin inverter/charger w battery heat sensor to reduce charge if needed. charging though inverter w either shore power, generator or main engine alternator.

How can I best add solar 200 - 300 watt panels to this system without damaging current components?

All modern charge controllers will work with plain lead acid batteries just fine without any special effort put in beyond wiring up the charge controllers and panels correctly.

I'd go with Victron SmartSolar charge controller(s), sized appropriate to the total wattage you're considering to install.
Solar panel recommendations are hard to make without knowing what kind of boat it is, and what sort of surfaces or spots you can use to mount them.

All modern charge controllers will work with plain lead acid batteries just fine without any special effort put in beyond wiring up the charge controllers and panels correctly.

I'd go with Victron SmartSolar charge controller(s), sized appropriate to the total wattage you're considering to install.
Solar panel recommendations are hard to make without knowing what kind of boat it is, and what sort of surfaces or spots you can use to mount them.
thank you, I have a panel mounting area of approx 6ft x 7 ft

Back