diy solar

diy solar

Large capcity NMC

wargames

Who are some makers of large capacity prismatic NMC batteries, and what is the largest capacity being made?

I have only seen pouch and prismatic nmc cells

I am using about 36 KWHs worth of LG Chem Li NMC pouch cells. Each cell is 60 amp hours. I have them in four 3P14S strings. They were originally for the Chevy Bolt. Yup, the ones in the news and being recalled for car fires. Charging them to just 4.1 volts, and running them down to 3.75 volts is hardly working them at all. I am cycling about 10 KWHs in and back out every day. So that is using only 30% of their full capacity. My charge and discharge currents ae also under 0.1 C even though the cells are rated to over 1C charge, and 3C discharge. The cells are coasting and they stay right at the ambient air temperature.

Depending on how the Chevy recall goes, there may be a crap load of these cells ending up on the surplus market. 140,000 recalled cars with 288 cells in each one. My 36 KWHs is 168 cells, or just over 1/2 a car's worth.

Who are some makers of large capacity prismatic NMC batteries, and what is the largest capacity being made?
LG Chem is one. Most NMC cells go into EVs so as noted above. most DIYers get there NMC cells from salvaged EV packs. Chevy Volt and Bolt packs, Tesla pack and others. I used Nissan Leaf modules for several years.

Back