diy solar

diy solar

Large flexible panels? Do they exist?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So just as a curiosity and since my Google-Fu is failing me, I figured I'd ask here. With the cool option of balcony and railing mount systems for apartment and condo dwellers starting to gain a little traction I was looking for ways to make the systems more useful. I went and measured out a couple places where I could theoretically do something like that here and I've got a lot of space to work with... but...

The only flexible panels I can find are in the "100w" range (and lower) which would be a huge waste of space if I were to just hang a few of those. I'm striking out on finding REAL higher wattage panels in flexible, like 200+ watts or so. Every time I seem to find one it's listed as 150w, 200w, 250w, but with a VMP of about 20 and 5 amps... because scammers don't use math.

My thoughts are to use some larger panels hanging off the rail and some of the plug-in microinverters for the US grid and help offset the fact that this whole place is baseboard heat (Yuck!) or pedestal heaters.

Does anyone know where I can get REAL higher wattage flexible lightweight panels?

Also, anyone had good luck with a decent (read not $tupid expensive) grid tie for the US grid?

Thanks all!

Edit: Side question, if I were too generate more power than I consume are the power police going to SWAT me?

Last edited:
how about

144 w amorphous, long and skinny

i have not used that type before.

in the ballpark?

I too have noticed all the flexible panels with inflated ratings, their standard test conditions must be out out in space two miles from the sun to get as much power as they claim. ;)

The largest legitimate flexible panels I've been able to find are from renogy:

So just as a curiosity and since my Google-Fu is failing me, I figured I'd ask here. With the cool option of balcony and railing mount systems for apartment and condo dwellers starting to gain a little traction I was looking for ways to make the systems more useful. I went and measured out a couple places where I could theoretically do something like that here and I've got a lot of space to work with... but...

The only flexible panels I can find are in the "100w" range (and lower) which would be a huge waste of space if I were to just hang a few of those. I'm striking out on finding REAL higher wattage panels in flexible, like 200+ watts or so. Every time I seem to find one it's listed as 150w, 200w, 250w, but with a VMP of about 20 and 5 amps... because scammers don't use math.

My thoughts are to use some larger panels hanging off the rail and some of the plug-in microinverters for the US grid and help offset the fact that this whole place is baseboard heat (Yuck!) or pedestal heaters.

Does anyone know where I can get REAL higher wattage flexible lightweight panels?

Also, anyone had good luck with a decent (read not $tupid expensive) grid tie for the US grid?

Thanks all!

Edit: Side question, if I were too generate more power than I consume are the power police going to SWAT me?
Renogy 175w flexible panels are Sunman panels ,according to Sunman, I talked to a rep from Sunman trying to buy some of their 400w flexible panels. Because of tariffs no one is importing them here (US). If you want three shipping containers worth they will sell them to you. https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/10/29/sunman-unveils-430-w-glass-free-solar-module/

FWIW i got the pair of flexible used Battery Hookup ones that Curiouscarbon tagged in his reply, these are really well made units that have velcro on them already (since these are used) and and paired them with a MMP2724 by cutting off the wire ends the flexible PV came with, and added MC-4 connectors which plug right into the MPP. Typical of flexible panels, they are prettly low efficiency - ie 6% ish. They measure out at 15 inches wide by 15 feet long. Got 2 for way better price than i could find for anything similar in new. The Velcro may work well on a balcony and allow them to be removed easily when you need?

Maxeon Air is theoretically a 330W flexible panel. Unfortunately it's never been sold in the US and only in small quantities in Europe; they shut down the factory in France that was making them and are presumably moving production to SE Asia. Seems like it's supposed to be available early next year but I can't find that from Maxeon themselves. Anyways, it looks really nice - monocrystalline cells with ~20% efficiency and ~57V Vmp, so I'm hoping it becomes available and is reasonably-ish priced.

As BobR mentioned there are the Sunman panels which aren't available in NA. If you're in Australia they seem to be pretty easy to come by though.

I came across a seller that seems to be up for shipping Sunman flexible panels to the US: https://shop.gwl.eu/en/By-Brand-Manufacturer/SUNMAN/

Haven't contacted them or tried it myself, but it seems to be a reputable store and the website lets you select a US address (shipping is ~$180 for two 310W panels). You might get hit with a tariff or other complexities with importing when it goes through customs.

Back