diy solar

diy solar

Large vertical construction for solar panels (for arctic climate)

Messier11

Hi everyone,

I am planning a off-grid solar set-up for our cabin out in the Archipelago in the very north of the Bothnian Bay, very close to the article circle. I have an idea I want to run by you guys!

If I mount the panels on the roof of my cabin, they will be snowed over from December to early April easily. This is a picture of the cabin in December, and peak snow is February (@Efendy I love your YT channel but stop complaining on the weather in Australia! ;)):
hskar 2.jpg

Also, the roof points towards south so that is good, but there is a fair amount of trees in that direction so during late fall and early spring I get some shadowing too before the sun rises high during the summer: This is how it looks 1st October, just by the roof:
1642532866219.png

So I have been thinking of building a vertical construction just south of the trees in the above picture (like behind 10-11 a clock). So instead at the roof besides "1" below I would put them where the "2" is. This location is also a bit higher up, so its better from many perspectives.
1642533044390.png

For the purpose I am thinking of using fresh logs (unless I stumple upon some solid fresh Telephone poles) for the main construction and a really long stainless steel wire of like 30mm I have laying around (I am not sure if its 30mm, but it is sturdy, will never break, and its like 200 meters long, a real monster my dad "found" somewhere back in the day).

What do you guys think about a construction somewhat like this:
1642533636562-png.80248

1642533370266.png

1642533567756.png
1642533689138.png

The construction is dimensioned to carry 9 split perc solar panels of 325w, like these (https://www.amazon.se/dp/B09HXZ6L9P...olid=3QLGN5QTDJ9ZB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it). It is 5 meters high and 4,8 meters wide (roughly 16x16 feets), the panels in inches are roughly 40 inches x 62 inches.

The Pannels are tilted 60' (I am never quite sure from where you should calculate, the angles are 90', 60' and 30'),

I checked the sun angle at the location of my Cabin, and its never higher than 47 degrees, so the higher level of solar panels will never shadow the lower levels. This is how high the sun gets in June (its pretty facinating, 180 days per year, the sun don't go over 30 degerees...):
1642535710883.png

What do you guys think, is this a smart set-up? From the point of view to create more space for panels, some kind of "A" construction would of course be better. This is quite the large construction for just 9 panels (albeit fairly large). At the same time, the higher up they get and the less angle they have, the less snow should 'stick' to them.

Have anyone tried something like this?

Any thoughts or comments you may have are appreciated!!! :)

BTW, if anyone are interested in the more constructive part of the construction, I would use logs from pinetrees. 2 by 4 planks. I would not drive the logs down in the earth, but instead put them on concrete fundaments I have with like a 5 inch iron rod sticking up, the key is that they never "stand in water". They put telephone poles down in the earth, but make half-sofisticated build to sheild it from water. I would also secure the wires with a hole in a stone with a cobra and then make a concrete fundament so that it doesn't move. Not sure how I would secure the panels, lol, think it would work just bending four 6 inch nails over them, but I will probably get some real equipment for a roof to keep them in place.

Last edited:
Back