diy solar

diy solar

Large Voltage Drop on BMS Output While Under 110a Load

My JK smart BMS is measuring about 0.001 ohms or 1 milliohm including the wires. At 80 amps, I was dropping about 0.080 volts, or 80 millivolts. I would expect the Daly to be close to that. I have not pushed mine all the way past 100 amps yet, but at the lower currents I have measured, it seems to be very linear. So at 110 amps, I would expect to see about 0.110 volts. You are seeing a little more than 0.600 volts more. That sounds like a diode voltage drop. I would make sure the BMS is not in the charge block mode. When my BMS blocks charge, it puts a diode in series so you can still pull current to bring the cells down. Can you post screen shots of the BMS app?

OP here. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies. In the process of returning the BMS (it's been confirmed defective). Hope to get a replacement at the end of the week. Details to follow. Thanks again!

OP here with a final update. Found the cause of the B-/P- bus bar .75v voltage drop (with 110a load) on our Daly 4S 200a Smart BMS. The CADC Gain (in Sinowealth) was set to a positive value---should have been negative. I believe this value varies based on the differential when the current is calibrated. Anyhow, with the CADC Gain polarity reversed it seems the BMS saw discharge current as charge current and vice versa. My guess the .75v voltage drop was due to the charge mosfets being forced to pass discharge current. Not sure though. When I did the initial 110a load test right after I received the unit, the BMS got very hot. After the CADC Gain was set/calibrated the B-/P- voltage drop dropped to .1v. The BMS now remains cool even after 90 min. at 110a--big difference. Amazingly, the mosfets appear to be working ok after all that reverse current.

Thanks to Dexter at currentconnected.com for his help (I purchased this Daly from them approx. 2 weeks ago). When I called about the B-/P- .75v voltage drop he took the time to test a unit to verify the voltage drop on a good working unit (~.1v). He offered to send a replacement which I received just 2 days later. Discovered the CADC Gain discrepancy while transposing/comparing presets between the two units. Even though I ended up not needing the replacement, good to know currentconnected stands behind what they sell.

Thanks again for all the replies.

P.S. I believe GXMnow was very close to the problem in post #21.

How did the CADC get changed?
What is CADC?
CADC Gain = Current Amps Direct Current Gain.

The BMS has a built in shunt for metering both current and for tracking AH in/out of the battery. Shunts need to be calibrated.

There is another calibration parameter called CADC Offset.

Y=Mx+B. In this case CADC Gain = M and CADC Offset = B. Plug in (typically 50 or 100 mv) reading from the shunt (x) and you calculate for actual amps (y)

If CADC Gain is inverse, then discharging (positive Y) and charging (negative Y) are seen backwards; in other words, the BMS was set to limit current to 100a during charging, however since this number was reversed, and he was discharging, the BMS was trying to hold back current.

Thanks to Dexter at currentconnected.com for his help
Even though I ended up not needing the replacement, good to know currentconnected stands behind what they sell.
It truly was a pleasure to have you as our customer, because you really wanted to work with me to find the root cause. You helped us improve our process, solve the problem and now we can prevent any other customer from experiencing the frustration you had.

To bring everyone up to speed; we were told these units were all coming identically programmed and individually calibrated from the factory, which has proven not to be the case. From now on, we are serializing, testing, and tracking each and every BMS unit that we touch. We are also verifying calibration with 6 1/2 digit NIST certified equipment. We are also now checking every single parameter in the configuration because we cannot have issues like what OP experienced, it isn't good for business. If it takes an extra 20 minutes per BMS, then great. It saves 2 days of troubleshooting, and then the customer is out of a BMS and has to delay their project which is unacceptable practice for our company.

Continuing on, Daly has a reputation for these types of programming issues, so we should have already been checking everything that we are now...My fault. Lesson learned. I know Daly has BEEFY bms units, that really can take some abuse, I've taken them apart. I've run over 400a through a 200a BMS MULTIPLE times without damage or issues. However, a negative sign is causing a dumb issue as we've seen in this thread and ruining the daly brand.

If what it takes to sell a good product is the final QC I listed above, then I absolutely will do it without question, everytime. It's worth it when things arrive at a customer's house in GOOD WORKING ORDER AND PROPERLY PROGRAMMED, so then the customer can carry on with building their projects.

I can't drive home any further that our business is not about just selling a part (in this case a BMS). We are selling my customers solutions, and if a BMS arrives and is not properly functioning, we have failed at our job. No matter what it takes, @OTRwSolar bought an "all inclusive kit" from us, we owe him exactly that; a properly functioning and designed, all inclusive kit!

EDIT: This BMS that experienced issues is still covered by my warranty - If any issues arise, we will replace it, no questions asked. We already shipped a replacement but OP returned it to us because the original wasn't appearing defective after he fixed the CADC gain...But even then, if we have to ship another replacement, we STILL take care of our customers.

Back