diy solar

diy solar

Last minute help with Growatt Inverter Wiring Connections - Manual lacks (a lot of) information

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
My setup is the following:

- (1) Growatt 8kW DVM-MPV, Split Phase
- (1) 12kW Gas Generator, Split Phase
- Grounding bonded to neutral at main cabin panel
- Inverter, Battery + Generator installed on exterior shed

Here is a photo of the equipment in the shed:
Photo 01.jpg

The issue I currently have is regarding how to exactly wire the Generator -> Inverter with regards to the ground + neutral wiring: the generator output has L1+L2+G+N.

The AC input on the Inverter only has L1+L2+Ground(?). The manual does not even offer a wiring diagram from split phase.

Additionally, i have an extra ground wire from the AC Output to the new subpanel that I don't know where to wire it to.

See photo below:
Photo 02.jpg

It doesn't appear to take split phase in, so do not connect the neutral wire from the generator at either end.

For the ground, there is a ground screw on the chassis on the right in your picture.

What is your overall install? Do you have a ground rod in the dirt? Are you adding this to a home with grid power (and a ground system) already in place?

A lot of us are in the same boat with these units.. Here is the thread about the problems and the issues it causes with neutral and grid..
Long but a must read..
I am still trying to figure/ settle on a solution as well.

This is the problem with starting a new thread for each question. You will have to explain your entire system in detail, before anyone is capable of safety answering the simplest of questions.
From what I remember about your system. (No grid connection)
1. No neutral should be ran from the generator to inverter.
2. All grounding should be connected together, in one way or another. You can put both ground wires in the same terminal, if they will fit. Or, you can make a separate connection with the two ground wires and a short piece of wire. Which would then go into the terminal. Or, you can make use of the external chassis ground screw as mentioned above.

It doesn't appear to take split phase in, so do not connect the neutral wire from the generator at either end.

For the ground, there is a ground screw on the chassis on the right in your picture.
Understood.

What is your overall install? Do you have a ground rod in the dirt? Are you adding this to a home with grid power (and a ground system) already in place?
This is for off-grid condition with grounding connected to the cabin electrical panel. So no grounding rods at the shed (generator/inverter).

A lot of us are in the same boat with these units.. Here is the thread about the problems and the issues it causes with neutral and grid..
Long but a must read..
I am still trying to figure/ settle on a solution as well.
My system is off-grid, so I hope it makes things a bit easier.

This is the problem with starting a new thread for each question. You will have to explain your entire system in detail, before anyone is capable of safety answering the simplest of questions.
I totally see this, but it seems like it comes with the forum life package.

From what I remember about your system. (No grid connection)
1. No neutral should be ran from the generator to inverter.
2. All grounding should be connected together, in one way or another. You can put both ground wires in the same terminal, if they will fit. Or, you can make a separate connection with the two ground wires and a short piece of wire. Which would then go into the terminal. Or, you can make use of the external chassis ground screw as mentioned above.
No grid connection.
1. Yes, that was my understanding as well.
2. Understood, I needed clarification regarding the grounding wiring and how to connect the two leads into one point in the inverter.

In all honesty, this would have been much less pain and repetitive if the manufacturer's manual would be done with 15% more love and attention. I just don't get how they could simply not add proper electrical diagrams to the inverter documentation.

I have the same setup essentially, 12kW inverter, 14kw standby gen, batteries, solar.
Don’t connect the neutral coming from the gen, I installed a ground bar and connected all cable and equipment grounds to that, the ground bar has a main ground that connects to ground plate just outside the shed. The neutral bond takes place in the main panel. Runs like a hot damn.

I am looking at the following Sungold 24Vdc inverter to accomplish the same 240VAC split phase output. Does anyone have experience with this product? Manual is attached.
SUNGOLDPOWER 6000W 24 Vdc Inverter Charger,Peak 18000w,240 Vac Input, 120V/240V AC Output Split Phase,Low Frequency,Pure Sine Wave with LCD Remote Controller(Updated Version)

I also considered the Sungold inverter but didnt feel too comfortable with the comments and reviews online. I think if you can afford (time 7 money) to try this solution, then go for it and pray for the best.

I took the same chances with the Growatt, it didnt work for me so now I ended up with a Schneider unit - very happy with it.

Back