diy solar

diy solar

Last minute questions regarding 240V Split Phase Inverter Wiring

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
Existing setup: 240V split phase 12kW Propane Generator wired to 240V split phase panel:

GEN >> (4) wires [L1, L2, Ground, Neutral] >> 240V Split Phase Panel >> Cabin

EL Panel.jpg

I am adding a Growatt DVM-MPV AIO Inverter and a 48V Battery to the system. The installation manual only mentions connecting the L1, L2 + Ground to the Inverter AC Input and from inverter only L1 & L2 back to the split-phase panel on AC Output. Per diagram below:
Diagram.jpg

Could someone help with the following questions:

1. Is the Growatt wiring diagram correct or missing the ground and neutral wiring? It seems wrong to wire the NEUTRAL to the inverter AC Input when the inverter wiring diagrams does not show the neutral on the AC output. How does this work? I suspect I am missing somethin evident.

2. Do I leave the ground (bare wire) as it is in the existing panel? Or do I need to somehow wire it back to the inverter?

Thanks in advance!

The inverter should be wired in between the generator and panel.
L1 and L2 from generator to inverter input.
L1 and L2 from inverter output to panel.
Neutral and ground from generator and inverter connect to panel.

Yes, as I expect and also understood.

Yes, I am with you so far.

Nope, now you lost me: the manufacturer's diagram does not show any Neutral or Grounding wiring.

I do see a Neutral connection at the AC Output of the Inverter, but they do not seem to tell you to connect to it.

Could you clarify whether what you are telling me is confirmed on the diagram above or whether the manual is missing information?

You are looking at the wrong diagram.
You need 240/120v split-phase.

You are looking at the wrong diagram.
You need 240/120v split-phase.
I just double-checked, the manual @SignatureSolarUS has for download under the product page DOES NOT include 240V Split Phase wiring diagrams, despite the description for the product clearly stating it is a 240V split phase inverter:

Growatt 8kW Split Phase Off-Grid Inverter | SPF 8000T DVM-MPV Growatt 8kW Split Phase Off-Grid Inverter | SPF 8000T DVM-MPV

I think I will have to call Siganture Solar again tomorrow and ask for the correct wiring diagram/user manual.

Thank you!

I just double-checked, the manual @SignatureSolarUS has for download under the product page DOES NOT include 240V Split Phase wiring diagrams, despite the description for the product clearly stating it is a 240V split phase inverter:

Growatt 8kW Split Phase Off-Grid Inverter | SPF 8000T DVM-MPV Growatt 8kW Split Phase Off-Grid Inverter | SPF 8000T DVM-MPV

I think I will have to call Siganture Solar again tomorrow and ask for the correct wiring diagram/user manual.

Thank you!

I understand and makes sense what you are saying but I think I need to get the vendor's blessing before wiring the unit in a manner that is NOT shown in the manuals.

Right?

Thank you!
Did you receive 220 split phase wiring diagram?

Do you know if this 240/120 diagram is avaliable? It is not in the manual.
I would expect it to be. But it's fairly simple. L1,L2,N,G. Just like the output terminals are labeled.
With only one ground terminal. You need to make a joint on the ground. With a short wire to the terminal.

Just have to combine the three diagrams.
It's strange that they left it out. But, not surprising. Screenshot_20230116_141539.jpg

I wouldn't add that auxiliary ground rod. (It's not required, and a bad idea in my opinion)
But rather run the ground conductor back to the grid grounding system. (Which is required)

Yes it is a schneider that uses square D. Schneider bought square D. I thought so also. It fit so nicely I said ok. Should of studied it more. Says 120/240.
Lol I suppose. Looking I can only see 1 way to have 2 240 breakers. 1was meant for main could be used. Then 3leg and 1 leg 4 could be another 240. Good thing I only needed 2 240 circuits
1 for pool and 1 for Ac.

I wouldn't add that auxiliary ground rod. (It's not required, and a bad idea in my opinion)
But rather run the ground conductor back to the grid grounding system. (Which is required)
Running ground back to meter is a diffucult task for me. It requires me to pull the meter. I can not do this alone. Finding qualified help is diffucult. Sigh
I will look for help and take your advise if at all possible. Thank you for your input. It does matter.

Back