diy solar

diy solar

LCD display with Overkill BMS

harpo

Good at many things, master of none
Once the Overkill BMS is back in stock I will be purchasing. I know Bluetooth is included which is handy but I want an LCD display so others can read the battery parameters.
The Overkill manual this can be done using a 20 x 4 LCD using Arduino. Overkill even has a Library to assist in the programing.
Has anyone done this?
Looking for help doing so if you have. I have questions such as 1) what components do I need besides the Arduino board and LCD screen? Do I also need an
I2C Bus and an LCD IIC Serial Interface Adapter for Arduino? What else, if anything?
Any information greatly appreciated.

Once the Overkill BMS is back in stock I will be purchasing. I know Bluetooth is included which is handy but I want an LCD display so others can read the battery parameters.
The Overkill manual this can be done using a 20 x 4 LCD using Arduino. Overkill even has a Library to assist in the programing.
Has anyone done this?
Looking for help doing so if you have. I have questions such as 1) what components do I need besides the Arduino board and LCD screen? Do I also need an
I2C Bus and an LCD IIC Serial Interface Adapter for Arduino? What else, if anything?
Any information greatly appreciated.
I'm just about to do this. Arduino has I2C built in. You use that to connect to the OLED.
The connection to the BMS is on the serial interface. Need a 4 pin "JST" connector for the BMS end, I'm going to crimp Dupont female connectors on the other end to connect to the Arduino breakout board.

I'm also interested in detailed instructions on how to attached arduino/lcd screen on my overkill bms.

JBD have a new touch screen LCD that works off the UART port, I've got one and it's not too bad.
Forgive me for this trivial question but this may be exactly what I’m looking for without having to mess with Arduino or other interfaces.

Are you simply using this display connected directly to the Overkill BMS?

Also, are you able to view the individual cell voltages?

I bought the overkill specifically for its BT capabilities but I find it to be inconsistent. This would solve that problem and I’d have a means to monitor without a separate device.

Last edited:
Forgive me for this trivial question but this may be exactly what I’m looking for without having to mess with Arduino or other interfaces.

Are you simply using this display connected directly to the Overkill BMS?

I bought the overkill specifically for its BT capabilities but I find it to be inconsistent. This would solve that problem and I’d have a means to monitor without a separate device.
I also just got this display. You connect it to the UART port, instead if the Bluetooth dongle (there is an Rs485 version too).
It's a nice accessory for your BMS. It has 3 pages of info, one of them showing cell voltages.
I got mine from Aliexpress:

I also just got this display. You connect it to the UART port, instead if the Bluetooth dongle (there is an Rs485 version too).
It's a nice accessory for your BMS. It has 3 pages of info, one of them showing cell voltages.
Man…this may have to be my first Aliexpress purchase then! ?

So I have to give up the BT connection for this? Does the BMS have an RS485 so I can use both?

EDIT: it does appear there is an RS485 port!

Last edited:
So, can one order the RS485 version of the LCD, hook it up to an RS485 port on the BMS and then still have the Bluetooth dongle in the UART port???
Are we sure the BMS has both ports described above?

Is it possible to have the LED screen to view AND the Bluetooth connection for the phone at the same time?? If so, how??

Last edited:
So, can one order the RS485 version of the LCD, hook it up to an RS485 port on the BMS and then still have the Bluetooth dongle in the UART port???
Are we sure the BMS has both ports described above?

Is it possible to have the LED screen to view AND the Bluetooth connection for the phone at the same time?? If so, how??
I don't think it's possible.
From what I have seen online, you can choose a BMS with ONE connection type: either RS485 or UART. Not both.

Yes you would have to give up on the BT.
If you're creative, maybe you could rig up some sort of switch and wiring to switch between the two (LCD or BT) when needed.

Back