diy solar

diy solar

Lead versus Lithium versus All-in-One System

RichBeBe

I have no problem building or spending what I need but looking for some advice. I purchased a van with the following simple solar setup:
100 watt panel
Renogy Wanderer MPPT
100ah AGM Bettery
Renogy 500 Watt Inverter
This setup does not meet my power needs. I have a Bluetti EB150 All-in-One Unit, which is roughly 100 amp hours and 1500 wat inverter.
I want to have 300 watts of solar on the room and 200ah worth of battery.
My wife spends a lot of time in northern Canada and the lithium in the All-in-One is a fight.
I am debating between a few setups:
1. An MPPT/DC-to-DC Charger and 200ah of AGM batteries (they are not nearly as efficient as the lithium, but handle the cold better), and a 1500-watt inverter
2. An MPPT/DC-to-DC Charger and 200ah of Lithium batteries (heaters or such to try and combat the often -25f)) and a 1500-watt inverter
3. An MPPT/DC-to-DC Charger and the current AGM battery (100ah), and a larger inverter. I would use the inverter to pass through to the EB150. Though I know there is a power loss going from the DC to AC back to DC. But this would allow me the power I need in the summer and let me run just the AGM in the winter.

Is there anything I missed, or better suggestions from others?

Sell the EB150 and purchase the components needed.

500w+ solar panel(s)
1500/2000 watt inverter
200ah+ lithium battery
Solar controller

Put the batteries in the heated van space and enjoy. Expand battery and solar as needed.

The problem is the heated van space. If you park overnight at -25f it doesn't stay heated for long.

I try to assume there would be a propane furnace running 24/7 in those conditions. Just traveling in the van and staying in a motel?
May need to connect to utility power in those conditions.

I have no problem building or spending what I need but looking for some advice. I purchased a van with the following simple solar setup:
100 watt panel
Renogy Wanderer MPPT
100ah AGM Bettery
Renogy 500 Watt Inverter
This setup does not meet my power needs. I have a Bluetti EB150 All-in-One Unit, which is roughly 100 amp hours and 1500 wat inverter.
I want to have 300 watts of solar on the room and 200ah worth of battery.
My wife spends a lot of time in northern Canada and the lithium in the All-in-One is a fight.
I am debating between a few setups:
1. An MPPT/DC-to-DC Charger and 200ah of AGM batteries (they are not nearly as efficient as the lithium, but handle the cold better), and a 1500-watt inverter
2. An MPPT/DC-to-DC Charger and 200ah of Lithium batteries (heaters or such to try and combat the often -25f)) and a 1500-watt inverter
3. An MPPT/DC-to-DC Charger and the current AGM battery (100ah), and a larger inverter. I would use the inverter to pass through to the EB150. Though I know there is a power loss going from the DC to AC back to DC. But this would allow me the power I need in the summer and let me run just the AGM in the winter.

Is there anything I missed, or better suggestions from others?

If it's going to be getting cold , option one is a clear choice for me

Typically you need 2x of AGM to replace LeFePO4. AGM can be drawn down to 50% compared to 10% or 0% for LiFePO4.

What voltage battery? What are you powering?

I try to assume there would be a propane furnace running 24/7 in those conditions. Just traveling in the van and staying in a motel?
May need to connect to utility power in those conditions.
My wife will spend a day or two with her parents and an occasional hotel.

Typically you need 2x of AGM to replace LeFePO4. AGM can be drawn down to 50% compared to 10% or 0% for LiFePO4.

What voltage battery? What are you powering?
We would run a small diesel heater, a fridge, LED lights, a fan or two, charge some electronics, and once in a while a small electric kettle, a small electric food heater (not a heavy draw) no real high demands, but it adds up.

I think you are right to think about 200 aH of AGM rather than Li due to cold temperatures. I am in the same position it’s just too cold (-20–50 C )where I live to use Li. Use case makes a big difference as well. If I was a full time user Li would make sense on a life cycle cost basis. As only part time users AGM batteries will Calendar themselves to death before cycle life is up.

Buy a drop in battery with a heater and automatic cold cutoff. I imagine that when the van is left overnight at -25, you are not in it using much power(discharing at below zero is fine anyway). Nor is it probably charging, because the sun won't be out. So all you really need is a battery with a built-in heater to bring it to temp before charging starts.

There are too many advantages to LFP to write them off so easily. A 100Ah LFP is roughly the same usable capacity as a 200Ah AGM. And it charges much faster and more efficiently, so you need less solar (or get more out of the solar you have). It is VERY difficult to determine the state of charge of Lead Acid Batteries, but with LFP you can know that very easily. AGM batteries are quickly ruined by partial state of charge usage, whereas LFP doesn't care, and are expected to last 20 years in many cases.

If cold temps are your only issue, that problem has been solved with LFP drop ins with built-in heaters.

Back