diy solar

diy solar

LeadAcid replace with Lifepo4 in campervan - split charging.

If I got everything right from all the previous post the only thing i will be missing is:
-The charging from 240v when on landcharging
-The status indicator on the PC-100 display
You may loose electric step auto retraction and auto change over gas to electric for a 3 way fridge. ( no problem if you have a compressor fridge),
you will also loose auto inhibit of things like water pump, interior lights when engine is running , this is on the UK version of the DS300, (this may be a plus factor).
The DS300 uses the rise in engine battery volts to create a D+ signal, engine running, that used for the above functions.
The CBE 516 will be set for lead if i undstod everything right.
This gives on the lead setting 14.1 charge and 13.5 float, this will be OK.
Since its designed for small capacity lead acid, its possible that it will work harder with a lithium battery. Its internally protected against overheating, however its uncertain how well it will tolerate lithium chrging. Something to keep in mind. If it proves inadequate, Victron IP22 Smart range AC battery chargers are recomended.
The status indicator on the PC-100 display
Not having this wont be a problem, the smart shunt will indicate both battery voltages.

Mike

You may loose electric step auto retraction and auto change over gas to electric for a 3 way fridge. ( no problem if you have a compressor fridge),
you will also loose auto inhibit of things like water pump, interior lights when engine is running , this is on the UK version of the DS300, (this may be a plus factor).
The DS300 uses the rise in engine battery volts to create a D+ signal, engine running, that used for the above functions.
Oh, I see. Don't know why, but for some reason I thought that the auto step retaction reacted when the key for ignition was turned on.

I really like that feature in particular, but everything else doesn't really matter. As you said we have compressor fridge.

But to keep the feature I simply have to let the B1+ to stay on and cut the of the resistor with a cable cutter? That will stop the starterbattery and alternator from connecting/merging with the servicebattery?

The resistor that has to be removed:

1679656044199.png

Thanks in advanced for all the helpful insight.

With the step it depends how Knaus wired up the step switch. It's a simple retract circuit that needs an 'ignition on' signal. This can be direct from the vehicle electrical system or from the signal derived in the DS300 that detects an Increase in voltage on the starter battery. You could evaluate step performance by disconnecting the starter battery at the DS300.
My guess is Knaus made a 'key on' connection to the DS 300 so the auto retract may function with starter +B1 disconneted.
There are different versions of the DS 300, some have the combining relay external. Removing the resistor will disable the DS 300 combining action if it has the internal relay.
Things to consider.
Once the starter battery is connected to the DS 300 +B1 and you have the AC charger working, a 2 amp charge is directed to the starter battery. This may increase the starter battery voltage above the voltage threshold that activates the Orion. If this occurs and the Orion behaves strangely you can use the H or L control inputs to Inhibit operation without the engine is running . Diagrams are in the Orion Instructions.

Mike

You could evaluate step performance by disconnecting the starter battery at the DS300.
My guess is Knaus made a 'key on' connection to the DS 300 so the auto retract may function with starter +B1 disconneted.
There are different versions of the DS 300, some have the combining relay external. Removing the resistor will disable the DS 300 combining action if it has the internal relay.
Thanks again for the insight!

Now I got everything installed and it works perfect. The retract feature for the doorstep does not need the +B1 to be connected to the DS300 in my case, which saved me a lot of headache.

So with my current set up the DC-to-DC booster is the only thing connected between the service battery and starter battery.

One of the things I will be missing is the charging of 2 Ah from the battery charger when connected to land power. But I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem for a starter battery since usually a work vechile is never connected and charged with land power.

I think your vehicle is based on the Fiat panel van. There is a very small idle current taken by the vehicle electronics. Unlike a work vehicle a RV may stand idle for months so there will be some discharge, so monitoring the starter battery is useful.
If the vehicle is Fiat , or its Citroen and Peugeot equivalent, it has an history of failed air bag ECU where starting, (or jump starting from another vehicle), is attempted where the starter battery volts are low.

Back