diy solar

diy solar

Leaf bms/battery

NwCali

Solar Enthusiast
Ok, I'm diving deeper in solar and I just bought a 2011 leaf for $700 that has about 30 miles of range...

I'm going to make some assumptions from what I've read/watched so far, please correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I've saw so far the Leaf BMS monitors the "cells" voltage but not its temperature (I know it monitors tems, just not sure how yet). Also from what I gather the cells are around 7.5 volts full and their are 48 of them for a total voltage of 360 volts....

So if you could put in batteries that can handle the voltage halved (3.75) and pair them together (for the 7.5 volts) and then run them all in series could you not simply change those out for the ones Nissan uses? Meaning reuse the BMS wire that comes stock with the stock BMS.

I know some here have used the leaf batteries for solar power, so, please chime in on why this isn't (or is) feasible.

thanks

A very long breakdown/buildup of a leaf battery... I'm aware it would take 96 batteries to reach the right number. It seems to me that the only problem is the 7.5 volts degrading LIPO4 batteries? I have no experience with BMS's and from what I gather youd had to 3.75 batteries being monitored with one BMS connection. Would this cause long term problems?

I've yet to look into the weight of 96 batteries or what the total KWH rating would be, or the "footprint" of all of those batteries would be.... Meaning could you even place them in the original area that leafs come with...

If there is a better place on the forums for such questions I also didn't find it...

I'm interested to see what you come up with. What 7.5 or 3.75 volt batteries do you have in mind?

Whatever you do, it needs to be integrated into the vehicle's computer systems.

I confess, I didn't watch the 2 hour video you posted.

You'd have to use the leaf BMS. I saw nothing in the 2 hour video that says it knows what batteries its connected to, just number and voltage.

I've not looked at lipo4 batteries enough to know that yet.

I didn't realize Lipo4 has less density than the Original leaf battery or that most won't put out enough current.... But some will. For me its about availability and longevity. Lifpo4 will at least outlast them won't it?

Back