diy solar

diy solar

Leaking Electrolyte from Bigbattery Powerblock

Yep, I did the same thing as you are thinking because I was so deep in the cost now I had to stick with the 24v Hawks. However, when you put these 24v 170ah Hawks in series it creates the issue I am having. I am not sure how to resolve this. It really seems like a balancer is needed between the 2 banks in series. Anyways I guess we can keep experimenting or getting recommendations from others that are using multiple 24v batteries to create a 48v system.

Did you contact BB? What did they say? I ask because I know they advertise these in a 48v pack w/o a balancer.

Yes I have talked with BB technical help multiple times. They said not to worry with it. They did send me this voltage to % chart which has been very useful. I am only seeing issues at the top end of the charged batteries not in the middle or the low end. I am working with BB technical help and Ian's help from Watts247. Ian says I need a battery balancer. I am starting to agree with him on what I am seeing. I also have a Victron Smartshunt between all the batteries and both 48v Growatt inverters. I have a tendency to use this most of the time for monitoring with bluetooth. I have validated with a volt meter the voltage going to the batteries matches the Victron voltage and appears to be accurate to the chart.

Attachments

• 24v and 48v Battery Charge vs Percentage.jpeg
    24v and 48v Battery Charge vs Percentage.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 16
I have four 48V Hsky in parallel as my battery bank. They are all within .3 Volts of each other, and do not ever match 100%. I have had them running for 6 month and cycle them pretty much from 20%-80% regularly. Zero issue with them not being matched to the tenth of a volt.

That is good to know. Thank you for the feedback! My (4) 24v 170ah Hawks will vary between 28v to 26v when charging. I have (2) sets in series on my 48v system. I think the way you went is the best for a 48v system. Unless we can come up with some way to manage unbalancing between these 24v systems. Or just stay 24v which I guess I could go back to.

I have always tried to give those batteries a chance, but at this point I am no longer doing so. Even if I have a good experience, if others have bad experiences, and post them here on the forum, then I cannot recommend them. As simple as that.

You should not require "proper safety precautions and PPE" around any lifepo4 battery.

And we do not have any evidence besides a youtube comment, but it does scare me. It is not the only comment like this that we have seen. And again, they keep coming in. I am hoping they will post pictures of their pack and what they mean by 750Wh.

And yes, no need to listen to me on this topic. Simply search around this forum, and you will find all the information you need to come to a decision on buying from that company.
Has Will Re Reviewed Big Battery?

Back