diy solar

diy solar

Leaking Electrolyte from Bigbattery Powerblock

These guys seem to have a very good grasp of Prismatics, scroll down to Mechanical Installations, they say "Installing them flat on their side is out of the question in all cases".
He is referring only to Sinopoly cells. It best to check with the manufacturer if using a configuration other than upright, which he also says.

There's something else going on here. 11 cells out of 100,000 is 1 in 10,000. So we're supposed to believe that Will was that one guy in 10,000 to be unlucky? I'm sure Big Battery is desperate to put this problem behind them, but I predict something else is going to surface to explain why this happened to Will.

With odds like that, Will needs to buy himself a lottery ticket, he may be on a roll!

Gazoo, Try again and read a bit further http://nordkyndesign.com/assembling-a-lithium-iron-phosphate-marine-house-bank/
The cell structure he is referring to does not apply to the aluminum cased prismatic cells. He states: "Prismatic cells are made of thin plates stacked together within a semi-rigid plastic housing." The cells most of us are using contain a "jelly roll" within an aluminum case. If you google
X-Rays of a LiFePO4 cell you can see it. In addition there is a YouTube video of deconstruction of an aluminum cased cell and it clearly contains the jelly roll.

As I posted earlier in this thread EVE stated mounting cells on the side, not the edge side, is ok. Although they did not indicate the number of cells that could be stacked on their side. Once again, it's best to check with the manufacturer of the cell.

While there is a bunch of good stuff written by Nordkyn Design, I don't know when it was last updated and cell manufacturing may have changed since he wrote it.

As I posted earlier in this thread EVE stated mounting cells on the side, not the edge side, is ok. Although they did not indicate the number of cells that could be stacked on their side. Once again, it's best to check with the manufacturer of the cell.

The weight of a few cells stacked on each other is only 10% of the 700 lbs force applied with springs to achieve 12 psi.

The weight of a few cells stacked on each other is only 10% of the 700 lbs force applied with springs to achieve 12 psi.
Very good point. If my math is correct that would allow for apx. 60 cells to be stacked. Not that I would one to be the first to try it.

Cylindrical cells can still leak, though they probably have less free liquid. Cylindrical cells typically have a spiral wound laminate inside. Most of the aluminum cased prismatics are also spiral wound, but that are flat-ish to fit into the case.

Your not going to damage the cells by stacking a reasonable number on each other.

There's something else going on here. 11 cells out of 100,000 is 1 in 10,000. So we're supposed to believe that Will was that one guy in 10,000 to be unlucky? I'm sure Big Battery is desperate to put this problem behind them, but I predict something else is going to surface to explain why this happened to Will.
I told them today that it confused me that my pack didn't leak for a month. I didn't touch it. Then it started leaking out of the blue. That's why I took the packs off my site. I don't trust them. I agree with you guys.

I am not certain how often this happens, but if you short the case to a voltage potential higher than the positive terminal the case may start to corrode/dissolve into the electrolyte. I don't know how long this would take to compromise the case (weeks?). This is why one should put a bit of separator between cells.

I would be curious if any of the leaking cells had conductive contact with a metal frame or the metal case of adjacent cells. Disassembled cells would show pitting and discoloration internally if this was the leakage cause.

I told them today that it confused me that my pack didn't leak for a month. I didn't touch it. Then it started leaking out of the blue. That's why I took the packs off my site. I don't trust them. I agree with you guys.
Were you using the battery during this month? Or was it just sitting idly in storage?

Have they asked you to return the damaged cell? If they do, would you?

Have you done a close examination of the cells to see if you can locate where it is leaking from? I don't trust that BB would be transparent about the issue. I know a lot of people have purchases these types of cells, and am wondering if there is a weakness with them that could be identified so those who have these cells can make them as safe as possible.

Are these screws/rivets flush? If not not the bottom of the battery above may wear through its case, and if the bottom 4 is a tight friction fit, will wear the top of that cell too.

If there is any voltage potential between the cells case and terminals this wont end well either once it wears through the sleeve too.

1613693929181.png

Is that pack casing bare metal? Those cells shouldn't be placed directly in contact with metal, the blue covering is too thin, and will wear through eventually.

Those spot welds on the divider could be trouble if there isn't a spacer pad on the end.

C’mon, it’s not like they’re making this up as they go along?

Wait a minute ?

Should we rename Will "Beta-test Bill"?

(Clearly not a smart move by vendor if that's happening. They ought to be cherry-picking what they give a reviewer.)

People who like tech products, people who like laws, and people who like sausages, shouldn't watch them being made.

Back