diy solar

diy solar

Leoch Power Generator 2048Wh Capacity, 2000watt inverter $1059 USD

One could say that about Bluetti.....
When you play the Indiegogo game you gotta buy early.
If you buy when they are up to millions in sales then you will be waiting.
Bluetti shipped me 2 AC200s rather promptly coz they were paid for on the first day.
Considering everything Bluetti pulled off a well run Indiegogo campaign.
I would not touch this Leoch Indiegogo campaign or the Zero Breeze Elechive as they do not inspire confidence.

I like bluettis customer service, but they take forever to arrive. They ran out of cells for ac200 production. They do a good job, but they are in a pickle with their supply chains.
I will say that you and Hobotech, big influencers on YouTube, receive far different treatment from Bluetti than the normal schmuck who orders from their website. I understand the supply chain problem, but their customer service and order fulfillment leave something to be desired independent of that issue, based on my own experience at least.

I will say that you and Hobotech, big influencers on YouTube, receive far different treatment from Bluetti than the normal schmuck who orders from their website. I understand the supply chain problem, but their customer service and order fulfillment leave something to be desired independent of that issue, based on my own experience at least.
Yeah good point :( that's unfortunate to hear. I try to contact these companies and usually get horrible treatment from all of them. A good example is daly or ecoflow. Slow, horrible responses that do not fix anything. I haven't had that issue with bluetti, but let me know if they ever do that to you.

Yeah good point :( that's unfortunate to hear. I try to contact these companies and usually get horrible treatment from all of them. A good example is daly or ecoflow. Slow, horrible responses that do not fix anything. I haven't had that issue with bluetti, but let me know if they ever do that to you.
Will, I know you have addressed customer service in some of your videos. When these people reach out to you to test the next product please grill them on their customer service and support. Let them know for us that good customer service is as much a concern as the price and performance of their product.

Also, these companies need to set up customer service/tech support via phone and manned by people who have a decent command of the English language instead of this emailing back and forth with someone using an internet translator. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Will, I know you have addressed customer service in some of your videos. When these people reach out to you to test the next product please grill them on their customer service and support. Let them know for us that good customer service is as much a concern as the price and performance of their product.

Also, these companies need to set up customer service/tech support via phone and manned by people who have a decent command of the English language instead of this emailing back and forth with someone using an internet translator. Thanks in advance.
Good suggestion. I ended up buying a Jackery 1000 mostly because I had higher confidence in their customer service. It is definitely a significant factor to consider in anyone's buying decision.

Good suggestion. I ended up buying a Jackery 1000 mostly because I had higher confidence in their customer service. It is definitely a significant factor to consider in anyone's buying decision.
Thanks, hopefully Will reads my suggestion and follows up on it.

Fear of the unknown prompted me to spend the extra $80 for a four year repair/replace warranty through Amazon. At the time, Bluetti was only offering a one year warranty. The warranty covers things the manufacturer warranty does not cover such as accidental damage to the display and the unit as well as other items. Also, if the unit cannot be repaired or replaced free of charge during the warranty period, Amazon will refund me the purchase price of the unit.

Last edited:
Sun, thanks for the tip about the extended warranty offered by Amazon. I'll keep it in mind for future purchases.

I signed onto LEOCH's Indiegogo campaign a few weeks ago but jumped out just prior to it ending so I could be guaranteed a refund from Indiegogo (which I since received). My initial concern were the limited substantive updates in the last few weeks of the campaign. I became more concerned when I noticed significant similarities between the original "Story" posts for the LEOCH and Monster X campaigns. Load them up in separate tabs and compare them side-by-side; they have extremely similar text and visual elements. They both appear to be created by a marketing agency called "MadSpace TV". If you look at the YouTube channel for MadSpace TV, you'll see references to various Indiegogo campaigns, many of which appear to be failures and potential scams.

I recognize this being a complete scam doesn't square with the fact that LEOCH is an established battery manufacturer, so maybe they just chose a marketing agency that happens to specialize in sketchy product launches. The only other possibility is some scammer is spoofing the LEOCH name but that seems unlikely given Will and Hobotech at least received prototypes of something.

I posted these findings in the Comments section of the campaign before requesting a refund but LEOCH flagged my comment as spam and it was deleted. At my request, Indiegogo added my feedback back in but, by then, it was buried in the list of comments.

So I hope the folks that have backed the project are getting a great deal, but for me, the red flags piling up became too concerning.

Thanks for your investigative reporting. It seems the high interest in solar generators lately has resulted in a flurry of products hitting the market. Initial quality and after sale support need to be considered along with attractive specs as different companies try to one up each other. Nice to have lots of choices, but the downside is there will always be options at the high end and the lower end. Hard to judge without having folks share real world experience. That's why Will's forum is such a great resource. Merry Christmas to all.

I'm really on the fence about this product. I think Will had the terrible misfortune to receive a product damaged by the shipping company, and the fact that the product is on the heavier side didn't help at all. A 70 pounds plastic box gets damaged even when it falls from a low distance.
This seems like a great product, and the latest specs look even better. For the price it's the heaviest UPS that I'm willing to haul through the house. Right now the only things holding me back are the Indiegogo horror stories, and at least one more review from a respectable person.
Maybe Will can inspect the true damage and eventually make a review of it...

Of the couple recent indiegogo power station, this one has actually shipped. Unlike others such as Omni Off-Grid or ElecHive.
According the hobotech review and comments on indiegogo, this has start shipping(for US and Canada at least).

Below is what I learn from varies source such as hobotech review and comments on indiegogo.

Good:
Most specs are accurate.
Most pre-production model issues are now fixed.
Has option to double charging for quick charge the device.
Has UPS function.
DC output port is quite efficient.
AC inverter is efficient.
Fan is quite.
The battery capacity is good with true capacity design.
The self protection feature is there.

Bad:
The thing is quite heavy to handle. The design is not good for people with bad back.
Default solar connection is limit to mostly parallel connection. Internal MPPT has limit voltage support range(10-35V)
Output meter has difficulty to display load below 21W. My guess is either meter accuracy issue or lack of shunt design.
DC charge meter not start to display if it is under 10W. Once it is start to display, it can display input correctly.
Meter does not display/detect brief load sometimes or slow to response. My guess is this is still meter design issue or buggy firmware.

Ugly:
Some people report AC inverter has problem running above 1800w continuously.
Some people report AC Inverter has problem with variable resistance heating appliance. OLP(overload protection) is triggered with sine-wave distorted. My guess is some internal component cannot handle heat properly or generate too much heat without sufficient component/design.
Strange external MPPT charger behavior.
Some people has received unit with QC(quality control) issues. A few unit is DOA.
The light is still ugly.

Hobotech review

Last edited:
I think that's a pretty solid assessment Mutant. I am glad that Leoch is actually shipping the units, so that's good. But, man, I've been following the backer comments too and they're pretty terrible. It seems about half of the comments are about defective units. I'm very glad I cancelled my contribution before the campaign ended. I don't know why you'd want to gamble that you got a reliable unit or not .... especially for something like a UPS-enabled power station! I think this is exactly why Will stopped reviewing these campaigns, which I appreciate. Hopefully Leoch can get their QC under control.

I think that's a pretty solid assessment Mutant. I am glad that Leoch is actually shipping the units, so that's good. But, man, I've been following the backer comments too and they're pretty terrible. It seems about half of the comments are about defective units. I'm very glad I cancelled my contribution before the campaign ended. I don't know why you'd want to gamble that you got a reliable unit or not .... especially for something like a UPS-enabled power station! I think this is exactly why Will stopped reviewing these campaigns, which I appreciate. Hopefully Leoch can get their QC under control.
PS. Hobotech's test on external MPPT charger might not be accurate as he seems to push too much voltage to it.

Leoch is new to this power generator market. This is a solid product within reasonable price range. A bit not polish on the meter and other design aspect as I list. It is not as polish as Bluetti AC200P but it is simple to use and has better efficiency.
At least it is shipping now compare to other indiegogo offering that might be vaporware or still another half year to ship.
If they can iron out their QC issue. It is still worth consideration IMHO.

I'm not sure I follow your "This is a solid product ..." logic considering all the negative comments on their Indiegogo page which continue as I write this.

This is NOT a solid product and Leoch's responses are increasingly concerning. In one of their latest responses, they referred to some vague future offer for 15% off a car battery to help offset all the issues backers have had? Huh????

I also think it's super lame that Hobotech hasn't weighed in here. Clearly his over-the-top, mostly-positive videos helped pad the backer count. That dude is a shameless shill.

Hi All, first post here. Just wanted to mention that although hobotech's review left me a bit apprehensive on the solar input side of things. I went ahead and dove in, as the price was just too good to pass up. Even if I somehow manage to blow the solar input, I feel that I could probably fix it by wiring in a better one, or just use the XLR connector and screw a decent MPPT to the side of the unit. I mean as long as the battery and inverter are good, its hard to go wrong with this one. At the very least, I can salvage parts out of it to upgrade my existing circa 2013 24v AGM battery / 1500w pure sine inverter to LiFePO4 and 2000w (or 1800w, if that is all it can muster, lol).

Have you read the Indiegogo comments? I would be more than "a bit apprehensive" if I were you with this one. There are a LOT of negative comments about the unit, to include with the inverter / shipping / customer service. I agree the price is amazing, but I would definitely suggest passing on this one until they iron out the issues (if ever).

Hobotech pretty much loves everything (in part, because they pay him to) so for him to give this even a lukewarm review, I'd head for the hills and seek a more established solution.

Have you read the Indiegogo comments? I would be more than "a bit apprehensive" if I were you with this one. There are a LOT of negative comments about the unit, to include with the inverter / shipping / customer service. I agree the price is amazing, but I would definitely suggest passing on this one until they iron out the issues (if ever).

Hobotech pretty much loves everything (in part, because they pay him to) so for him to give this even a lukewarm review, I'd head for the hills and seek a more established solution.
Thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Mine arrived damaged. The case was cracked at multiple points. The look and feel of the unit is very low in quality.

View attachment 29446

I was not motivated to review it. I would not let anyone that I know buy this unit.

The design team that would even consider allowing a piece of potentially life critical equipment to leave the factory looking like that POS should be enshrined in the Hall of Fame for Bonehead Design.

They shot their product right in the ass.

Geez, it's not a freaking gaming computer for a 13 year old kid.

Received my Leoch today, and so far, I am not sorry... It's taking a charge at 300 watts from the wall, which is nothing spectacular, but it is doing what I expect. Overall, its well built, quiet and most importantly working at expected. I am aware other people are having issues with theirs, but I have also seen that Leoch has been responsive on the indiegogo comments, so I have zero regrets and I feel like I scored a great deal. Cheers.

Back