diy solar

diy solar

Leoch Power Generator 2048Wh Capacity, 2000watt inverter $1059 USD

Leoch units are complete and utter garbage. Mine arrived damaged and the configuration of internals was a joke. The fact that this is a large company making a low quality product, and using crowd funding platforms to lower their initial risk makes me sick. If they had a good product, sure. But the unit they sent me was pathetic. I can't believe people send their money over the internet to companies like this. Makes no sense to me.

Leoch units are complete and utter garbage. Mine arrived damaged and the configuration of internals was a joke. The fact that this is a large company making a low quality product, and using crowd funding platforms to lower their initial risk makes me sick. If they had a good product, sure. But the unit they sent me was pathetic. I can't believe people send their money over the internet to companies like this. Makes no sense to me.
Bluetti support isnt much better. I ordered an EB55 a few weeks back directly from Bluetti when they were on sale for $399. When the unit arrived it had parts rattling around inside. I took one of the side panels off and small peices of plastic and a few metal screws fell out through the fan opening. Its been crickets from bluetti. And to think they sell units approaching 10k dollars.

Bluetti support isnt much better. I ordered an EB55 a few weeks back directly from Bluetti when they were on sale for $399. When the unit arrived it had parts rattling around inside. I took one of the side panels off and small peices of plastic and a few metal screws fell out through the fan opening. Its been crickets from bluetti. And to think they sell units approaching 10k dollars.
No way!!! Geez these companies are just ridiculous. Thanks for letting me know about that. I wonder what happened there

No way!!! Geez these companies are just ridiculous. Thanks for letting me know about that. I wonder what happened there
Im assuming shipping damage to the unit. Its just frustrating you email and email and get no response. Their phone support is nill, It goes to a "full" voicemail box.

There are a lot of companies that are difficult to reach to resolve an issue. Most are names that you've never heard before. A few are huge internationally recognized names. It seems their strategy is to ignore these issues until it makes one of those "helping consumer" segments on the local news or an influencer, and then they jump right on it and put a positive spin on how they are always helping customers first.

I've had many incidents where it was extremely difficult to get a simple answer. Although this was about 10 years ago, I just want to give an example of this. I bought a gaming PC that was several thousand dollars from a well known brand. At that time, Windows 10 was just about to come out. I asked about an upgrade to Windows 10, whether it was free or I have to pay for it. I wasn't demanding a free upgrade, I just wanted to know if it will be free or how much it will cost. Several emails over the course of a few weeks and not a peep. I ended up returning the entire PC within the 30 day policy. They ended up with a used PC just because they didn't answer a simple question. The way I figured, if I can't get an answer to a simple question, what would happen if I needed warranty repairs for the hardware? Would I have to wait weeks or months to replace a malfunctioning component? Or the warranty means nothing because they don't even answer their support emails.

There are a lot of companies that are difficult to reach to resolve an issue. Most are names that you've never heard before. A few are huge internationally recognized names. It seems their strategy is to ignore these issues until it makes one of those "helping consumer" segments on the local news or an influencer, and then they jump right on it and put a positive spin on how they are always helping customers first.

I've had many incidents where it was extremely difficult to get a simple answer. Although this was about 10 years ago, I just want to give an example of this. I bought a gaming PC that was several thousand dollars from a well known brand. At that time, Windows 10 was just about to come out. I asked about an upgrade to Windows 10, whether it was free or I have to pay for it. I wasn't demanding a free upgrade, I just wanted to know if it will be free or how much it will cost. Several emails over the course of a few weeks and not a peep. I ended up returning the entire PC within the 30 day policy. They ended up with a used PC just because they didn't answer a simple question. The way I figured, if I can't get an answer to a simple question, what would happen if I needed warranty repairs for the hardware? Would I have to wait weeks or months to replace a malfunctioning component? Or the warranty means nothing because they don't even answer their support emails.
The irony is that ive had much better luck contacting and getting resolution from the small Chinese companies selling on Amazon. They usually bend over backwards to avoid negative amazon reviews of their products. Several times ive had them just send a replacement no questions asked for the most minor of issues.

My EB70S I ordered from Amazon around January seems very well built. I’ve banged it around camping, it rode in the back of the truck, got rained on, etc. no issues. Of course, we’ve both samples of one.

No way!!! Geez these companies are just ridiculous. Thanks for letting me know about that. I wonder what happened there n
You should do a none bias review on all product not just ones u like!If they are bad product we will see for ourselves.The reviewers forget we dont give a damn about there opionion or the product they want to push.we just want to see the product in action.Hell most people who are taking someone full advice is a pawn and it would matter cause even if the product was good they wouldn't know unless u said is was good.Do some review for the techies that grew up opening shit up and sometimes breaking it just to see how it works.You got a free unit!Fuck bust that bitch open and show us will we just like to see sometimes!

If you don't care about their insight or opinion, why are you watching people like Will? If you want people to shut up and plug the thing in, there are plenty of others on youtube that don't know enough to have an opinion, or at least an opinion of value. Silver Cymbal does a fine jobs of reading specs off for 10 minutes if that's what you want. For me, I value Will's thoughts on each product. If you think Will's reviews are biased, again why would you watch him? One of the things I like most about Will is the fact that he has no issue admitting when something surprises him with either better than, or worse than, expected quality.

I've got one of these coming and am trying to get prepared. I'm very much a solar novice. I've watched every video I can find on the Leoch and most of them are old or don't touch on my questions.

One of my questions is, can I use just one 300w 12 or 24 volt panel for the solar input. I've seen a video that says it requires at least 24v but I believe I saw it using 12v in a simulated solar test.

Another question is has anyone tried using a higher wattage in the solar input. If so, what is safe.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Hey Joe! Here is what the Leoch manual says (verbatim).

DC Charging:
Connect DC voltage between 10-30V (such as solar cell, car cigarette socket 12/24V) to the DC charging port on the rear panel of the product, the product will enter DC charging mode. Maximum input power is 300W. Maximum input voltage is 35.5V. After boot up, the product's breathing light will automatically turn on (double click power button to turn it on or off). If the charging power >10W, the charging power will display under the INPUT icon.

External Charger
The product supports the use of our designated external charger (including solar controller and AC charger). Connect the charger to the XLR port on the back of the product, the product will start charging. The charging process is controlled by an external charger. Note: to avoid danger and incompatibility, users are advised not to use the charger that is not designated by our company!

P.S. I am not an employee of Leoch and I have no affiliation with them, I am just another consumer, like yourself.

Cheers!

EDIT: btw, if you combine the DC and XLR inputs, the unit will handle up to 600W, its just kind of weird to use it that way since the DC input has a built in MPPT charge controller and the XLR input doesn't. You can also use the Leoch external AC charger with the XLR port and the normal AC input to reach 600W of AC charging. And since they advertised up to 900W charging, you can combine AC and DC charging at the same time (I have not personally tested this last combination, just the other two.)

Last edited:
I've got one of these coming and am trying to get prepared. I'm very much a solar novice. I've watched every video I can find on the Leoch and most of them are old or don't touch on my questions.

One of my questions is, can I use just one 300w 12 or 24 volt panel for the solar input. I've seen a video that says it requires at least 24v but I believe I saw it using 12v in a simulated solar test.

Another question is has anyone tried using a higher wattage in the solar input. If so, what is safe.

Thanks for any help.

Joe
Do you have the full spec of the panels you are trying to use?
The so called '12V' does not put out 12V, it puts out higher than 12V, same for the '24V' panel, so look at the Voc spec (Voc will also go up in cold temperature so you have to factor that in), it should not be higher than the max PV input of the controller.

Last edited:

Thanks for any help.

Joe
Solar input Anderson port - DC 10-35.5V(no more than 40V in cold environment)
- 20A
- MAX Wattage < 300W
If you live in a snow environment, you could over panel but would not want the panel to exceed the Voltage or Amperage.

External charging XLR port - 12V, 24V, or larger V solar panel(depend on MPPT)
- 10.5A
- MAX Wattage < 300W
(if you use the Epever Tracer 1206AN MPPT , you have to use 24V panel or 12V panel in series, 390W/24V is max for that MPPT)

Do you have the full spec of the panels you are trying to use?
The so called '12V' does not put out 12V, it puts out higher than 12V, same for the '24V' panel, so look at the Voc spec (Voc will also go up in cold temperature so you have to factor that in), it should not be higher than the max PV input of the controller.
I am still researching my best options. You all are part of that research :). Thanks for your help.

Solar input Anderson port - DC 10-35.5V(no more than 40V in cold environment)
- 20A
- MAX Wattage < 300W
If you live in a snow environment, you could over panel but would not want the panel to exceed the Voltage or Amperage.

External charging XLR port - 12V, 24V, or larger V solar panel(depend on MPPT)
- 10.5A
- MAX Wattage < 300W
(if you use the Epever Tracer 1206AN MPPT , you have to use 24V panel or 12V panel in series, 390W/24V is max for that MPPT)
Thanks for the info The external MPPT will drop the watts/amps back to something the power station can handle correct?

Is this normal behavior? There has been no power outage.

Attachments

• PXL_20221024_134728376.jpg
    PXL_20221024_134728376.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 9
Is this normal behavior? There has been no power outage.

Yes, when the unit has AC power at the input and an AC load, it will simply pass through the AC power (just like a UPS), this means it will show 0 watts output, as that display is only meant to tell you how much power is being supplied by the internal battery. As for the battery "bar" meter, that looks wonky. It should show some bars, if the battery is 89% full, as indicated.

Back