diy solar

diy solar

Lessons Learned

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
This thread will hopefully be stickied as a compendium of best practices (we need to build it up a bit before requesting it), as such please post only relevant and useful information to minimize the work of moderators deleting posts (e.g., stay on topic - start new threads for "side discussions", keep humor in the humor forum). Post your ideas or links to threads and I'll keep the OP updated. Thanks! ?

• Do Fire Drills - @Guda recommends having a fire safety plan in place before disasters hit.
  • Have a Safety Plan - When you look at something you need to do and gulp "oh boy!" .... you already know it's dangerous...take a second before doing it to see if you can mitigate your risk.
  • Reminders - Set reminders in your calendar for recurring tasks (e.g., generator maintenance) so they actually happen and in a timely manner.
  • Labels - It always makes perfect sense when I do it, but when I come back to fix something in a few years it's always which switch does what, did the yellow wire mean this or that, etc.
  • Document Procedures - When there's a sequence of things to do, print and mount the steps, attaching them to the device. When there are no lights/internet or you've had a few, you'll be glad you had your ducks lined up ahead of time with a checklist.
  • Eliminate operator complexity. - If the operation of the system can be done wrong... it will be done wrong. It is important to make the system as simple and idiot-proof as possible and reasonable. Courtesy @FilterGuy
  • Measure twice, wire once! Scout the site, some obstructions might be seasonal. Courtesy @Rednecktek
  • Component Space - When laying out mounted components on a wall, think about wiring and access courtesty @HRTKD
  • Bar Vs. Cable - busbars are often overlooked, but may be less expensive and carry more current courtesty @HRTKD
  • Crimp while bending - always create and hold any needed curve while crimping lugs courtesty @HRTKD
Note: A few of the submissions aren't in the format above, so if I messed any up in the conversion please send an email with the correction as to how it should have been worded. Thanks!

Last edited:
Since I build systems that other people (non-enthusiasts) will use, I wholeheartedly endorse the Labels and procedures. However, before I get to that, I try to eliminate complexities that would require the labels and procedures in the first place. If I can design a system that makes a 5 step procedure go down to a 2 step procedure.... I do it. This is particularly important if not following the procedure can cause damage or risk.
Soooo... someplace early on the list I would add:

• Eliminate operator complexity. - If the operation of the system can be done wrong... it will be done wrong. It is important to make the system as simple and idiot-proof as possible and reasonable.

Geography and topology matter!! Just because PVWatts says you'll get so much sun, that hill in the way and the trees in the yard say otherwise.

Have a tape measure handy! Physics is pretty unforgiving and what sounds great on paper might be 2" too big to fit. Measure twice, wire once!

Leave more room between components than you think you need. Cables bend only so much and the more distance involved, the easier the bend is.

In the case of a curved cable, always create and hold the curve while crimping lugs. The cable will then hold the curve almost by itself.

Skip using a cable when an adequately sized piece of flat copper bar will work.

Flat copper bar does not (easily) handle changes in elevation between two terminals.

I created an entire instruction set for my off-grid system so my wife can fire it up without knowing much about it. Everything is labeled, instructions are accompanied by actual photos with colorful arrows pointing to switches and display readouts.

There are detailed photo instructions for starting the system and shutting it down..

There is also a section labeled "Summary Instructions" which are drastically shortened to single line reminders of each step..

A child could fire up my system so long as they can read.

I've also given my wife classes where I sit her down in front of the box and show her how to diagnose things. She's learned ohms law, how to read a multimeter, how to look at cell voltages, what is acceptable or alarming, etc. She now understands lithium battery behaviors and how to take care of the system.

We don't have any kind of escape fire plan in my house, but that's pretty much a function of our situation here. Our house is a ranch, has lots and lots of windows which all open easily, and a large 20# standard commercial fire extinguisher in every room.. I think I have 10 of those standard ABC commercial units now as well as 3 stainless water types, and two with a kitchen rated foam chemical in them.

We also have 3 smoke alarms.

I have considered installing a sprinkler system in our house.. but its a big job and those damn heads are expensive.

Attachments

• PressESC.jpg
    PressESC.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 29
  • PowerTap.jpg
    PowerTap.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Step5.jpg
    Step5.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 30
If the operation of the system can be done wrong... it will be done wrong. It is important to make the system as simple and idiot-proof as possible and reasonable
On the tail end of covid recovery. But my sister and brother-in-law are in the hospital with covid.
Looking around my self-sufficient definitely teotwaki-proof postage stamp domicile (and worrying about family) and I got to thinking “what would my daughters do with this if I died?” Not a morbid moment just thoughts.

Things that are mindless and everyday normal to me would be a mystery to someone not familiar with the setup. It could be a useful thing on my passing, or it could just keep charging every day for a year or two and then run out of electrolyte and fry itself. I feel so insignificant now…!

Back