diy solar

diy solar

Let’s talk “Z” shaped fittings

I bet there are serated washers that will bite into the panel for grounding available...
I was just about to post a question asking if people are using star washers (which I think are about the same as serrated). Basically, I need to understand grounding. My limited understanding is that I may need to also run a ground coil (perhaps through the mounting pieces) to the chassis of my trailer. Otherwise, if lightning strikes, the volts may have no where to go but to fry my equipment (possibly affecting not just the panels but also inverter / equipment inside).

To me it seems strange few people are commenting on the need for both a mount system AND a ground wire system integrated as part of it all. But I'm still learning all this. Maybe I'm missing something.

I was just about to post a question asking if people are using star washers (which I think are about the same as serrated). Basically, I need to understand grounding. My limited understanding is that I may need to also run a ground coil (perhaps through the mounting pieces) to the chassis of my trailer. Otherwise, if lightning strikes, the volts may have no where to go but to fry my equipment (possibly affecting not just the panels but also inverter / equipment inside).

To me it seems strange few people are commenting on the need for both a mount system AND a ground wire system integrated as part of it all. But I'm still learning all this. Maybe I'm missing something.
Here's a video explaining why or how serrated / star washers affect grounding.

Here's a video explaining why or how serrated / star washers affect grounding.

Also helpful is looking up grounding (for RVs or trailers) on this site. Like this post

The poster points out something I too have observed: many professional looking mobile installs don't seem grounded (or instructions don't mention the need to ground). Home installs, perhaps due to inspections, seem to include more safe practices.

Also helpful is looking up grounding (for RVs or trailers) on this site. Like this post

The poster points out something I too have observed: many professional looking mobile installs don't seem grounded (or instructions don't mention the need to ground). Home installs, perhaps due to inspections, seem to include more safe practices.
This relates to Z brackets, because if I have to make my own - why not drill extra holes in them for a ground wire ? Assuming the Z bracket material is strong enough, does anyone have thoughts on whether running an extra hole and a ground coil through them would be good or bad to do?

Note: I'm going to review more on this site, but my sense of it is that NOT every Z bracket needs to have a ground coil (or extra hole for the ground coil) through it. Just at least one per panel. Then down to a disconnect box and/or the chassis.

Back