diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

ok ok sure

For a print this large I did make use of my babysitting skills again.

1712952011217.png

my lord this one is going to be large! ;) well in the context of entry level printers that is and at all reasonable for a DIY'r

I did not even try to max it out by adding teeth. this is scary enough now at 110 teeth and this almost maximizing out of the build plate diameter .

and @justgary
this is also inline with my efforts to give us these charts you asked about.
Just like you I also want to have data that is taken in a manner the best I can and then turned into a chart.

Please allow for some more time. As now I know why most if not all before us skipped on this part. It is damned hard to do correctly!!

I will have none of those that skipped the important bits. We need to know for real.

It is like you said ages ago. Show it or it did not happen (this is a paraphrase)

Last edited:
but seriously? should I not get a huge spool of wire size that barely fits in the context?

The context being the amount of frequency is needed to get up to 37 vAC per phase.

we are now at 5 x 0.4mm at a 35 winds stacked serpentine coil
29 legs means 35 wires (*5) on both ends and all in between double that

Last edited:
ok it is official!.
I will have a little hissy fit now. just a tiny one so do not expect for your windows to shatter. or you screen from which you read this to just stop working all of a sudden.

This little rant is not related to anyone who interacts with me here.

But what I find disappointing is when someone (in this case someone elsewhere, not here) setup a path to go through. Someone that I assume knows more than I ever will. Then of course I will try and do as being told.

But then when things are nearly there then all of a sudden radio silence. As if the subliminal message is. "Yeah dude I have given you all the details and now you are on your own"

I can't stand this type of interaction. It is a form of desperately trying to feel still in charge. This makes me think it is probably and old soul that we really really do need to keep on board though!!! yet feels threatened by a new wave of thinking.

Anyway. for now I think the gravity torque test is no longer in play. I will keep it in the freezer though until such time I learn more about it.

But then when things are nearly there then all of a sudden radio silence.
It is possible that other people have their own lives going on and can't always respond on your schedule. For example, my wife and I drove 2,000 miles last week to see the eclipse from a great vantage point in Texas.

for now I think the gravity torque test is no longer in play.
I don't recall seeing any real details of your test setup, or even what goals you wanted to accomplish. You basically jumped from using a three-phase motor to some unknown gravity test. All I saw was a comment that something moved very slowly when the coils were shorted. That makes sense, but I didn't hear what you did about it.

It is possible that other people have their own lives going on and can't always respond on your schedule. For example, my wife and I drove 2,000 miles last week to see the eclipse from a great vantage point in Texas.
I knew this kinds of response was going to be a posiblity. But I have actual evidince of said source still being posting just as happily as ever.

NO my brother.

I chose my words careful. That is why I waited for the moment I could proof my opinion.

Please just trust I am no douche and actually at the forefront of investigations.

hahha ok sure I might have an incoherent rant that lasts for about a few hours at times. That is called someone that can't hold his liqueur.

But in many ways I try to keep things clean. So I did try here.

So sorry bother you suggestion is not applicable.

I don't recall seeing any real details of your test setup, or even what goals you wanted to accomplish. You basically jumped from using a three-phase motor to some unknown gravity test. All I saw was a comment that something moved very slowly when the coils were shorted. That makes sense, but I didn't hear what you did about it.
hahha that was when you said. show pictures or it did not happen. in relationship to when I told Hedges that I would show him privatly the state of my roof.

And then I did cave and posted that image.

hence I added the paraphrase aspect you see?

now you know I am for real. I will just not allow for any kind of fraud to ever happen. My reputation depends on it

But I have actual evidince of said source still being posting just as happily as ever.
And I was posting here and there during my trip, but did not care to get into any details about anything technical.

You are always free to bite the hands with food in them, but don't be surprised when they quit feeding.

You are also always free to study the math and do your own calculations, then post your results here to show us how to do things properly.

look, I think like this.

humans lie. sometimes it is smart to do so evolution science might support if I just could remember where I read that.

I also lie. and so do you my dear reader!!

But it is most often a strategic move rather than an actual lie for the sake of to lie.

And since it is in my strategic interest to keep things honest then of course you will find no lies here.

Sure sure. I like to boast all the time and present my findings with words to hypen up the mood. But the fact of the matter remains is that I will just be honest.

And I was posting here and there during my trip, but did not care to get into any details about anything technical.

You are always free to bite the hands with food in them, but don't be surprised when they quit feeding.

You are also always free to study the math and do your own calculations, then post your results here to show us how to do things properly.
can you motivate what happened there then? because now it feels like you are just telling about me when I piss off people they will back down. Which I would agree with. But did that happen there? why would you say this? please elaborate

so after a considerable amount of extra experiments I found that there might be a good reason to use smaller diam wires after all.

You see that I now hold the believe that while using litz wired coils one can have more wires exposed to the field where it matters as opposed to a single larger diam wire.
And since we are talking about AC here rather than the DC tests I run for establishing a field strength there is soo much less heat build up as the electrons go back and forth thus constantly not going at full speed. (this is just what I think there is going on. totally not based on actual science!!)

Please allow me to explain.

Does one remember when I asked to hold ones buttocks most recently?

Well that was a single wired 35-70-35 coil in but 3mm.

When spun over close to the magnets it spewed out an insane amount of vAC. More insane than I have ever seen in similar conditions with only the coil as parameter. It was for sure the most impressive voltage generation I have ever seen in my line of testing yet. In that context of course. Sure I have seen higher values but that was because in those other contexts the coils were more potent.

Now please remember how sad I was when I was unable to demonstrate a beneficial voltage generation ability when a similar coil was backed up by iron powder.
Yeah that pretty much stopped me dead in my believe that I can think of new ways of demonstrating my hypotheses. I for one for now still do not know any other experiment I can try.

Well 2 things turned out in favor of good old iron powder in the long run. Hahah what did you expect gang? That I would lets things go that fast?

It turns out that having the coil legs of this said coil being backed by iron powder legs then the field it produces at 32 vDC is around 13 mT rather than the 10mT when not backed.
Ok Ok I'll be honest. I am not even sure I actually correlate those two findings. So just let us put that in the freezer for now.

And then of course the second thing which was actually not a new thing but the insane heat dissipation enhancement it all brings.

So I am going to take shortcuts now as I can't create charts that will satisfy everyone.

So I will make the next few posts on what charts I am going to make and then allow for suggestions on how to fine tune them before I actually start going deep and start endless measurements.

Also I have some other good news. Remember when I said that 3mm was minimum? (the narrower one can make a coil the more field it will produce where it matters (close to the magnets)) Hahahah turns out though that that was not even the minimum thickness.

Nah, this will be my baseline coil after some consideration. I have one thing holding me back though. Perhaps a 35-70-70-35 configuration would be better. Please share your thoughts.
1713465282957.png

The niche part about this test coil is is that it is but 10mm thick while boasting a litz wire of 5 x 0.4 mm.
One thing I do know already is that but 1 wire out of that lists wire will produce around 7 mT at 32 vDC. But my lab equipment is not up to the job when exposed to 5 times this simple coil. It just starts being unable to just blast on.
Anyway with my farmers logic I get to around 35 mT.

wait what? 35 mT holy smokes!! if that is true.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I hate it when a plan does not come together as I clearly did not buy the correct lab equipment to be able to run scientific analysis at this scale.

More to follow on how I plan to document things before we actually go and do it.

Last edited:
so please see another base line.
1713466853265.png

Now the only thing I did not show here is the magnets on the opposing side. as that would clutter too much. Just trust that I am aiming for an 17mm spacing between this rotor and the one below or on top of it.

so I am going to bring into measurement a lot of field values on a many of interesting points between magnet pair. And that of course includes the now non shown extra layer of magnets.

ohh I forgot to mention that these mT measurements are no longer taken from 10mm from the center of the core. but now from 5mm.

as it more closly resembles what part of the electro magnetical (coils) field is exposed to the permanent magnetical (magnets) field.

anyway I am going to do the following.

Just hook up this test coil and hook up an amp meter while the coils is shorted.

then just ramp up the motor speed until the coil stabilzes at 70C.

then open up the coil to no longer be shorted and measaurew the voltage.

and then we have our wattage capabilities?

is it that simple?

Back