diy solar

diy solar

Lets build an open source solar generator

Guda

Superstrut Strut

Okay I have a idea. Lets (us on this forum) design 3 sizes of these solar generators. We can basically open source the build. Think Wills video about a hand truck power but in maybe a pelican case. We can list parts & make build videos. Open source is a beautiful thing. Like Will said, "these things are not complicated". I wish this was a thing a year ago, I would not have spent $5k on a BS "powerbox" thats weak af.

All those projects fail because they are trying to get rich. If someone can follow the directions on how to bake a cake, then they can build one of these. If someone builds one, they will know how to fix it & how it works. Maybe even some people will make them for sale, thats cool to. Precious Plastic invented a bunch of plastic recycling machines, open sourced the plans & people build them to sell all the time. Point being open source creates industry. Its really the future in my option.

There is so many smart creative people here. Our solar generator would be the best ever by far. GO TEAM!

Wonderful, someone with standards and an honorable agenda! By this I am referring to Will!

If parts all were available on AliExpress or alibaba this would make it viable to build around the world. An open source, cost effective, robust & portable solar power solution would be a big deal in remote developing world locations and disaster zones. The kind of thing that can keep portable fridges running and charge communication devices.

It would need options for different international power sockets & voltages.

Its also the perfect example of slapping some hardware together and then failing miserably on the software side. the "features" are unlikely to be hardware issue, its a software issues. This is the point i was trying to make in the DIY overkill thread about trying to DIY products that already exist in mass.

I was so stoked to hear Will say he is making a DIY solar generator. It would be cool to see him open a thread about his process. I'd like to see versions.

Lithium Solar had an interesting solar generator build a while back, might be able to use some of his ideas for an open source design.
But not with the 18650 cells, I'd go with lifepo4 prismatic cells in a new design.

You might like this video, I would make a handful of different design choices personally, but its good food for thought:

I'm a software developer and I'm a huge fan of open source.

However, I'm not sure what an open source solar generator would accomplish. If someone really wanted to build their own generator, they can already find videos, parts list, and diagrams online. I recently attempted the $650 solar generator project in the video above but quickly found the process overwhelming. For someone me without the requisite skillset (electrical knowledge, battery knowledge, etc), it would weeks if not months to learn all the basics. Even with the full plan and video, I'm not sure your average Joe will be able to execute the plan successfully.

What I would love to see instead are beginner friendly kits where the generator parts are already bundled together, and the most difficult work is done (i.e. soldering, cutting holes in the casing, installing the panel connectors, etc), and all the person needs to do is connect a few wires. If someone (or a group) could put this together, I wouldn't mind paying a premium as compensation.

another newbie who came here from watching the video where will said he will be making a kick ass solar gen. cant wait. question while i am here .. if i am using 600kw a month , is 4-5 kw system enough to handle a day or two load ? and 2nd how many solar panels of 250W each would you guys suggest ? 4-5 sunny days here a week , 4ish hours. thanx all.

another newbie who came here from watching the video where will said he will be making a kick ass solar gen. cant wait. question while i am here .. if i am using 600kw a month , is 4-5 kw system enough to handle a day or two load ? and 2nd how many solar panels of 250W each would you guys suggest ? 4-5 sunny days here a week , 4ish hours. thanx all.
Did you ever find the help you needed?

Back