diy solar

diy solar

Let's hear your inverter horror stories!

Prosolar

My old Trace 5548 inverter is still kicking after nearly 20+ years of constant use. I'm looking for a backup. I'd prefer a low frequency unit (heavy transformers) over the high freq inverters.

I'm leaning toward Outback.

Anyway, let's hear your inverter stories. Good or bad. Let 'em rip!

I have 18 and 24 years on my four Trace inverters, running 24/7 in UPS backup mode. Connect relays still surviving even with FPL flicker and flash utility feeding them. Never get any computer or DVR resets due to grid power glitches. Last time I removed battery power from my inverters was 18 years ago when I installed two more units.

Outback is good. Xantrex is good but firmware complexity and updates tends to run amuck. Also have to put up with all the 'nickel and dime' add on's that are necessary but sold separately.

My first inverter was a 2.5kW Xantrex which lasted ten years, I replaced it with a SolarEdge but had to add Optimizers. That Solar Edge was replaced under warranty in less than a year. On another system I had to replace an internal board on an Outback Radian under warranty. I had an early release Outback Skybox that locked up during a firmware reboot and Outback replaced the entire unit. That was not a horror story, just inconvenient because of the weight of the unit. Only the top portion was replace so the wiring connections all remained. i also have some Enphase micros and one micro was DOA and Enphase replaced that. Finally the trunk cable on one of my arrays went bad. I was the one responsible for the end connectors so I can only blame myself for that. Going on the roof and reconnecting a new trunk cable was the hardest. In retrospect, it might have been easier to redo the end connectors while on the roof as a first attempt to diagnose. I could have tested it for continuity.

None of the above are horror stories and they did ocurr over a span of twelve years and all of them on the three self installed systems during that time. The four installer systems have not had any issues but I have sold two of those homes and would not know of any issues since then.

My first inverter was a 2.5kW Xantrex which lasted ten years, I replaced it with a SolarEdge but had to add Optimizers. That Solar Edge was replaced under warranty in less than a year. On another system I had to replace an internal board on an Outback Radian under warranty. I had an early release Outback Skybox that locked up during a firmware reboot and Outback replaced the entire unit. That was not a horror story, just inconvenient because of the weight of the unit. Only the top portion was replace so the wiring connections all remained. i also have some Enphase micros and one micro was DOA and Enphase replaced that. Finally the trunk cable on one of my arrays went bad. I was the one responsible for the end connectors so I can only blame myself for that. Going on the roof and reconnecting a new trunk cable was the hardest. In retrospect, it might have been easier to redo the end connectors while on the roof as a first attempt to diagnose. I could have tested it for continuity.

None of the above are horror stories and they did ocurr over a span of twelve years and all of them on the three self installed systems during that time. The four installer systems have not had any issues but I have sold two of those homes and would not know of any issues since then.
Thanks for your input! It's those little things that come up and bite you in the butt. I know it's only a matter of when my Trace 5548 keels over, and I've been researching the options. The Outback inverters seem to have a good record of outside warranty tech support.

I also have Outback VFX3648 but 3 days ago turned it off and replaced with Victron Quattro. The Outback has been running for about 15 years.

I’ve been happy with my Schneider CSW4048.

The worst part was lifting it up onto the wall.

I’ve been happy with my Schneider CSW4048.

The worst part was lifting it up onto the wall.
I've been reading and watching some videos about the issue of talking to the inverter. Seems like a lot of steps to commission one. Apparently you need several other pieces of the Schneider equipment to talk to the inverter. Still reading....

I've been reading and watching some videos about the issue of talking to the inverter. Seems like a lot of steps to commission one. Apparently you need several other pieces of the Schneider equipment to talk to the inverter. Still reading....

Not exactly several pieces of equipment but definitely an add on. At the time I installed mine the choices were ONE of the following:

SCP- System Control Panel

Gateway

or a ComBox.

I chose the ComBox which I'm not sure is still available.

At the time I bellyached about the additional cost but once it was done I am happy. The cost of the two items was a little less than some other quality systems I was considering.

Here is my executive summary of Schneider equipment:

Excellent hardware, should last forever.

Average soft/firmware. Not the easiest to set up but doable for sure. I spent a lot of time watching videos and got it figured out. The time spent is just a distant memory now.

Below average support, at the time I found their support people to be completely useless.

Despite significant effort to get things dialed in at the start it just runs 24/7/365 now and I really don't pay much attention.

Not exactly several pieces of equipment but definitely an add on. At the time I installed mine the choices were ONE of the following:

SCP- System Control Panel

Gateway

or a ComBox.

I chose the ComBox which I'm not sure is still available.

At the time I bellyached about the additional cost but once it was done I am happy. The cost of the two items was a little less than some other quality systems I was considering.

Here is my executive summary of Schneider equipment:

Excellent hardware, should last forever.

Average soft/firmware. Not the easiest to set up but doable for sure. I spent a lot of time watching videos and got it figured out. The time spent is just a distant memory now.

Below average support, at the time I found their support people to be completely useless.

Despite significant effort to get things dialed in at the start it just runs 24/7/365 now and I really don't pay much attention.

thanks Joe ham... I wonder why everyone that makes these things make it so damn hard to commission. Why not a simple switch to turn it on? You comment on support seems to be right on the money. While I have had no interactions with the Schneider inverter people, I've read/watched horror stories about less than stellar support. So, apparent to me, if I'm going to buy one, it's not the best idea to look for low price but for after the sale customer service.

I purchase a Magnum MS-4448-PAE on a mini Magnum panel late 2021. The onboard charger worked 1 time and hasn’t since. I can’t send it in to get it repaired under warranty because then I will have no electricity for what would be probably weeks. I’ve been thinking of buying a spare but Magnum is months behind on building them now. Luckily even on the worst of days like today (overcast and no sun at all) my panels seam to keep my batteries charged.

Another complaint as I’m laying here listening to my generator run powering my 120v washer. The Magnum won’t power the washer. It will run my propane dryer but not the washer. It’s a stacked unit so now I am forced to run the generator to both wash and dry at $5.49 a gallon.

Off topic, $5.49 a gallon? you are so lucky! it's $6.79 a gallon for regular here in my bay area, I know, we pay a lot more for everything here.

Back