diy solar

diy solar

Leviton load centers

Supervstech

Administrator
Staff member
I was shopping yesterday, and noticed these panels… I was aware of them for the smart breakers and so on, but one thing I didn’t notice before is the conductors DO NOT ATTACH TO THE BREAKERS!
all wiring attaches to the panel board… this makes for a very tidy install… no conductors have to crisscross over each other. The neutral bar is built in, so all arc fault and Ground fault connections are made internally.
A really cool box.

Attachments

• 55921956-793D-4CA8-8C35-287395CB8760.png
    55921956-793D-4CA8-8C35-287395CB8760.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
I was shopping yesterday, and noticed these panels… I was aware of them for the smart breakers and so on, but one thing I didn’t notice before is the conductors DO NOT ATTACH TO THE BREAKERS!
all wiring attaches to the panel board… this makes for a very tidy install… no conductors have to crisscross over each other. The neutral bar is built in, so all arc fault and Ground fault connections are made internally.
A really cool box.

Yup.... Plug-on neutral or Plug-in neutral distribution boxes. They can certainly make for cleaner installs if you have a lot of ground fault or arc fault breakers. I don't know how long they have been out but I discovered them for the first time a few weeks ago. It looks like several of the major brands are coming out with their own version of them.

The one you pictured seems to take it further than some of the other brands with *all* wires going to the breaker board. On some of the other brands, the hot wire still goes to the breaker. On at least one brand (I don't remember the brand) the breakers that use the neutral rail will not fit in the old style distribution box, but the old breakers with the neutral wire hanging off will fit in the new style box (You still have to connect the neutral wire to the neutral bus bar). Kinda clever.

It makes me wonder if this is going to evolve into the new norm for new installations where a lot more arc fault and ground fault protection is required. (Right now the price bump for them is a bit too high for me but I suspect it will come down over time)

I know Eaton ch and br seres panels have all switched to plug on neutral. The standard breakers still fit, but the plug on neutral breakers require the panel with the bar.
I have installed hundreds of Eaton, panels with the plug on neutral. The breakers don’t need the neutral pigtail tied to the neutral bar screw anymore… but both hot and neutral circuit wires still go to the breaker…

with the Leviton panels, both hot and neutral wires go to the panel screws, and the breakers have no wires attached at all… VERY tidy install.

Back