diy solar

diy solar

LF280k damaged during shipping, safe to use?

gonmag8

Hi all.
Received a new batch of cells, one of them suffered an impact during shipping.
Vootage and internal resistance measure fine.
Do you think its safe to use?

IMG_20220921_140515.jpgIMG_20220921_140509.jpg

thanks for the advice,
unfortunately Doncan is saying "you need to return the cell".
These were ordered from China, so it is more expensive to send this one back than to just order a new one.
I understand that they send me good cells its not their fault one arrived damaged, but it is not my fault either :( Lucky me.
This was the 48th cell I ordered from them.
They are talking to the shipping company now to see if they will assume some cost.
Lets see how this ends :cautious:

thanks for the advice,
These were ordered from China, so it is more expensive to send this one back than to just order a new one.
I understand that they send me good cells its not their fault one arrived damaged, but it is not my fault either :( Lucky me.
They are talking to the shipping company now to see if they will assume some cost.
Some vendors charge more, but they shipped me an extra cell with my next order. I hope they take care of you.

There's actually pouches inside of the aluminum case, and the pouches (in the pictures and videos I have seen) aren't generally stuffed into the corners tightly, so there's a good chance that that cell is fine.

My son dropped a pack I had made, and it did way more damage to the corner, there's a flat spot now. It's still operational, and I couldn't find any difference in it when I tested it again. It appears to have only damaged the aluminum case, rather than the pouch inside.

I would check IR, capacity, then run it through a few hard charges and discharges and monitor for swelling. If you don't see any issues, I would personally use it.

Thanks for your view.
I have tested IR and voltage and I am now about to start a capacity test ?

thanks for the advice,

Shipping that cell back is likely more than you paid for it.

You paid Docan to deliver you a good cell. If they want it back, they should pay for it. This is a tactic to dissuade you from pursuing resolution. Present them with the option of contesting credit charges for the cost and shipping of that cell.

This is why you always order more than you need when getting stuff from China.

There's actually pouches inside of the aluminum case, and the pouches (in the pictures and videos I have seen) aren't generally stuffed into the corners tightly, so there's a good chance that that cell is fine.

My son dropped a pack I had made, and it did way more damage to the corner, there's a flat spot now. It's still operational, and I couldn't find any difference in it when I tested it again. It appears to have only damaged the aluminum case, rather than the pouch inside.

I would check IR, capacity, then run it through a few hard charges and discharges and monitor for swelling. If you don't see any issues, I would personally use it.

Doesn't always work out like that. You at the two year mark yet?

Doesn't always work out like that. You at the two year mark yet?
It's been about a year, but they're in a very high draw situation, so I imagine that any problems probably would have been seen by now. I regularly pull 2-3c, surges up to 5c, out of the pack. They're also not 280s, or from the same manufacturer / distributor. You definitely right though, only time will tell.
That's definitely an interesting thread. I'm not going to say that the damage wasn't a contributing factor to the failure, but it seemed like there was a lot going on with that pack and builder, other than just the dents. I do know that there are quite a few users on here that have packs with mild mechanical damage that are functioning just fine though. For what it's worth, from what I remember from seeing the cells disassembled, there was more free space on the bottom between the roll, then there was on the top where it was connected to the terminals.

I guess it comes down to what level of risk you're willing to accept, and at what cost. Is the pack in a golf cart stored in a shed, or is it underneath the bed that you sleep on in your RV? Know what I mean?

Tested low but from what I have been reading the LF280k do test low :(

IMG_20220925_131651~2.jpg

Not very happy with Docan at the moment...

I love my wee Navitas cells! Literally sitting there doing nothing on the JBD... just had to have those little green cells!
I have some in my son's power wheels, it draws 50+ amps and hauls ass. Endless torque compared to the old 9ah SLA too.

I have another pack that I plan on hooking up to an old UPS, 25ah would run my modem and router forever. I still need work on an isolated charging system for it though.

I have some in my son's power wheels, it draws 50+ amps and hauls ass. Endless torque compared to the old 9ah SLA too.

I have another pack that I plan on hooking up to an old UPS, 25ah would run my modem and router forever. I still need work on an isolated charging system for it though.

I've been contemplating the UPS thing. I just had a CyberPower take a crap on me the week the warranty ran out.

Back