diy solar

diy solar

LG Chem Batteries from Battery Hookup. 5.94 KWh

I had a few reasons for my clamp design. My biggest concern was I didn't want to disturb the factory weld. I expect that it is fully able to conduct the power from the 3 cells to that buss bar as is. But if I drilled through those welds, I was not sure how much of the connection I would mess up. . . .
Thanks v. much GXMnow. Once again, your description is extremely helpful, esp. the details about separate application of dielectric grease on freshly-sanded copper and Noalox on aluminum-copper connections-also the clamping and torque specs. Your concern about the welded tabs is close to mine. Thinking about it - as I'm typing - makes me wonder if I might test by drilling through the weld on one of the blocks of cells that I have left over after my module surgeries. If I end up messing up that factory weld, I'll use your design for the modules. On the other hand, if I can get a clean hole on this test, I might play around with clamping the copper plate to the tabs only using screws, nuts, and washers. My thinking is that if I could go this route, I might use silicon-bronze fasteners, reducing (still not eliminating) the number of newly-introduced aluminum-copper contacts. I'm aiming to have 14 tabs on ea. module (to make a 14s9p bank), so the chances I could miss a potential loosening connection are higher. I'll plan to update here if I find anything noteworthy after I have the chance to do some test drilling. Does this silicon-bronze fastener option sound reasonable, or have I got to the point where I am I over-thinking this detail?

Last edited:
The other concern I had was trying to drill in there without shorting to the next cell buss bar. There is just not much room for drilling at a 90 degree angle. Even tightening my clamp in there, I covered up the next adjacent buss bars with a few layers of tape so my screw driver and box end wrench had some protection. My old Makita drill does have the plastic knob around the chuck to tighten it, but to get a decent angle, I would need to use a long bit because the chuck is so fat.

Brass screws might reduce the chance of corrosion a little, but you also need to take into account they won't be near as strong as a stainless steel screw, so your clamp load will be less. Not sure how much difference that will make, but it is something to keep in mind. Ideally, all of the current should flow from the existing copper plated buss bar ro the new copper you are clamping against it. The screws should not be a current path.

Yeah, I only drilled at a 45 deg angle and I did it slow and stead as having a drill bit going across those connectors was not an option for me :oops:.

I am trying to figure out what is the max amps my batteries can be charged at ?????

Contains 30 LG Chem N2.1 60ah cells

The configuration is 10s, so it has 3 60AH cells in parallel.

So each cell group is 180 ah.

Is there a data sheet on LG Chem N2.1 60ah cells? looking..

Yes, you are reading that right. With my 6P setup, I could charge at up to 360 amps, and discharge at up to 1,080 amps. That is way beyond anything I will ever be able to do with my inverter. In our use, these cells will be coasting.

Thanks for the confirmation, I am now going to save this to my hard drive so 4 months down the road I have this for reference :)

WOW that means at 3C it can discharge 540 Amps!!! Yes these are coasting....

In the Chevy Bolt, the total pack is 96S 3P and it can crank out 200 HP to the front tires. At 100% efficiency, 1 HP is 746 watts. 746 x 200 = 149,200 watts. We can round that to 150 KW. (150,000/3)/96 = 520 watts out of each single cell. @ 3.7 volts, that is 140 amps. That is running a 2.33C rate or higher to make the performance that Chevy publishes. EV batteries are crazy powerful. Even though the normal charging is much slower, the regen brakes can stuff energy back in to the batteries at 70 KW. That is close to 1C.

In the Chevy Bolt, the total pack is 96S 3P and it can crank out 200 HP to the front tires. At 100% efficiency, 1 HP is 746 watts. 746 x 200 = 149,200 watts. We can round that to 150 KW. (150,000/3)/96 = 520 watts out of each single cell. @ 3.7 volts, that is 140 amps. That is running a 2.33C rate or higher to make the performance that Chevy publishes. EV batteries are crazy powerful. Even though the normal charging is much slower, the regen brakes can stuff energy back in to the batteries at 70 KW. That is close to 1C.

Yes we are using a semi as a pickup truck. Being loaded this light it should last, and last and last....

The only real issue is the cycling. Even at light current, and not going to full to empty, NMC cells are not the best for many many cycles. In an electric car, they don't recommend charging back up every day. But you do have to wonder with regen events and such, we should still get more life. I hope for 5 or 6 years, if I get 10 I will be crazy happy. If something great comes along sooner, I might upgrade. But for the price of these, I couldn't pass it up.

Yes. the price and being brand new is what forced me forward, I took a gamble and now I have solar powered AC. I have shut off the main power to my home, turning on only to run my dryer. I am seriously thinking of shutting off the mains, and using a generator to power my clothes dryer, Then put that 30$ a month electric bill toward the next battery system. In 5 years that would be 1,800$ With new tech that should be a whopper of a new battery. Going from 5 KWH to 23 KWH has been life changing for me. I want to take the money I am saving and apply it toward the next system.

Even if it has 70% of the power 6 years from now, that is still a good number of KWH to keep me going.

I have been searching high and low for one of these. I made mistake of only buying two from battery hookup. my project has evolved into a 30 s configuration. I need on more can any one point me in right direction?

The only place you will find them is on wrecked EVs. This was like once in a blue moon thing with Battery hookup. I bought extra at the time but I am glad I did I am using them all. Tesla is claiming battery price will go down to $50.00 a KWH in the long term. My plan is to hold on to that point.

Per this info it is 1C so 60 amps per cell so 180 Amp for my configuration if I am reading this all right ->

From -> https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33036157794.html

View attachment 44236
Hey Mart,

Don't know if you want more confirmation, but here's the chart I saved from Battery Hookup from when they had the modules listed:

Specifications

TypeLithium Ion - 3.6V 60Ah
ShellAluminum Plastic Film
Max charge full voltage4.2V
Discharge cut-off voltage2.8V
Standard charge and discharge currentCC charge 1.0C/60Ah,cutoff voltage
4.20V,Capacity>60Ah
Max continuous discharge current180A(3c)
WeightAbout 0.88±0.02Kg
Internal
Impedance(Max, at 1000Hz)
≤1.5mΩ
Standard Charge method0.5C CC charge to 4.2V, 4.2V CV charge to 0.02C cut-off
Operate temperaturecharge :0-40℃
discharge:-20-45℃
storage :-20-45℃
Size145*100*300mm

The only place you will find them is on wrecked EVs. This was like once in a blue moon thing with Battery hookup. I bought extra at the time but I am glad I did I am using them all. Tesla is claiming battery price will go down to $50.00 a KWH in the long term. My plan is to hold on to that point.
As Mart says

. . . in another thread someone recently found a v. young battery using this site, which searches lots and lots of salvage yards at once.

Back